Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried Cobra big brakes?

Yep, I want more mustang parts on my car... :wink:

Seriously though, considering how perfectly the Mustang/Cobra wheels fit on our cars, what about the brake kits? The cobra came with 13" rotors and from what I can tell a beefy dual piston setup.

Here's two links:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-raci ... rsion.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/10th-anni ... rsion.html

Has anyone tried this? What typical obsticals do we have to overcome when retrofitting a brake setup from another car?
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

I would assume fabricating a bracket and spacing it accordingly so that it doesn't interfere with anything.

I have seen Supra MKIV brakes on an 85 z31 as well (front and rear).

Why not use the z32 calipers? They are 4 piston; they say "NISSAN" on them and they are a direct bolt on for your SS. You can also swap in a z32 master so that the proportioning is somewhat better....for the front brakes at least. You can get crazy and use the rear z32 calipers and then the brakes should be very well proportioned with the z32 master. Of course you lose the e-brake with the rears, but you can use a line lock if you'd like.

Also, you can get the Wilwood 6 piston z31 kit from Arizona Z Car: http://www.arizonazcar.com/z31front.html

Comment

those willwoods are sexy, but hella expensive. Z32's look good too (especially your powdercoated ones), but how big can I go on rotors? I'd just love to cram some big nasty rotors of dem dere ss meign.
      2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

z

Comment

what does everybody think of Mitsi EVO Brembo brakes ?
          sets are reasonably cheap and also reasonable avalible where im at and for only $400 more than z32 brakes it might be an idea? Its not bolt on but i know a very good engineer who does me very sharp deals on machining.. ie brackets,I'm told that without 88 hubs i can't do a z32 swap easily so if im going to the trouble of hubs being made it may as well be for a better set up ?
          85 Turbo Slick Top
          __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

Signal 12 wrote: Yep, I want more mustang parts on my car... :wink:

Seriously though, considering how perfectly the Mustang/Cobra wheels fit on our cars, what about the brake kits? The cobra came with 13" rotors and from what I can tell a beefy dual piston setup.

Here's two links:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-raci ... rsion.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/10th-anni ... rsion.html

Has anyone tried this? What typical obsticals do we have to overcome when retrofitting a brake setup from another car?
            from what i can tell, the 13 inch mustang rotors will fit.. people already sell caliper adapters so the z32 calipers fit the bigger rotors. z32 and 240sx owners have done this already

Comment

Chris86NA2T wrote: from what i can tell, the 13 inch mustang rotors will fit.. people already sell caliper adapters so the z32 calipers fit the bigger rotors. z32 and 240sx owners have done this already
              Right on. In theory, could our stock 87-89 turbo calipers harness larger rotors with an adapter? I understand the braking ability wouldn't really be increased, but could it reasonably be done?
              Attached Files
              2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

[quote]Signal 12 wrote:
                Originally posted by Chris86NA2T
                from what i can tell, the 13 inch mustang rotors will fit.. people already sell caliper adapters so the z32 calipers fit the bigger rotors. z32 and 240sx owners have done this already
                Right on. In theory, could our stock 87-89 turbo calipers harness larger rotors with an adapter? I understand the braking ability wouldn't really be increased, but could it reasonably be done?
                yes i theory you could . as long as you find a rotor thin enough (26mm?) with the correct bolt pattern , or you could always drill some holes to make it the correct pattern .

Comment

z

Comment

Good info.

Correct me if I'm way out in right field, but it sounds like if I could find/make a rotor with the correct center bore at 13" x 30mm I could, with a braket, fit my stock calipers on the new system AND increase braking effeciency slightly.
                    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Signal 12 wrote: Good info.

Correct me if I'm way out in right field, but it sounds like if I could find/make a rotor with the correct center bore at 13" x 30mm I could, with a braket, fit my stock calipers on the new system AND increase braking effeciency slightly.
                      the mustang rotors should bolt right up.. the bolt patern and centerbore should be fine.. my understanding is that all you need are the rotors and caliper brackets.. yes, the stock calipers should work, but the only way to be sure is to fit them up.. if the z32 calipers work, chances are the stock ones will work.. the bolt patern is the same.. the only real question would be the thickness of the rotor..

you would get an improvement over stock because the larger rotor=more leverage.. you would probably get just as much of an improvement by just using porterfield pads on a stock setup.. but big rotors are pretty i guess..

Comment

z

Comment

[quote]Chris86NA2T wrote:
                          Originally posted by Signal 12
                          Good info.

you would probably get just as much of an improvement by just using porterfield pads on a stock setup.. but big rotors are pretty i guess..
                          That's how I feel. A lot of S30 guys do the 4 piston Toyota caliper swap and then throw off the brake bias by increasing the swept area too much.

As long as you can lock them up and don't have an issue with fade, why bother messing around with that stuff?
                          1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
                          '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
                          "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

zmech wrote: Note that it also shows the rotor with the OE twin piston caliper and the Z32 4 piston caliper. The caliper used here was aluminum. I believe that makes it a 26mm caliper.
                            Early TT's had 30MM pistons in aluminum calipers... those are what I have on my 84.

Comment

z

Comment

Working...
                              X