Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Rack Swap

Hi Guys

Im pulling the engine from my parts car sometime in the next week hopefully as this engine is going into my slicktop.Now the other thing that needs to be swapped into my slicktop is a good steering rack which i have from the parts car.
    Is there anything i should do before i re install it into the slicktop (aside from new dust boots ) My dad has a ball joint remover so he can show me how to do that part.

Any other parts worth changing while its out?
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

Maybe the tie rods?

Comment

thats actually not a bad idea at all
      85 Turbo Slick Top

Comment

you should probably replace the bellows-type boots on the steering rack itself, as well. Mine are cracked and in peices, so they'll be replaced tomorrow before the engine goes back in.
        My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
        My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
        207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

cool, let me know how it goes to replace them and if there is any little tricks to getting them off/putting them back in im all ears
          85 Turbo Slick Top

Comment

james wrote: cool, let me know how it goes to replace them and if there is any little tricks to getting them off/putting them back in im all ears
            Not really any tricks. To get the bellows boot of you must take the tie rods off. Count the turns as you go so you get it back on in roughly the same place. You'll need an alignment when you're done with all this of course.
            My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
            My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
            207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

yeah I counted threads and it was still off. 2 degrees negative on the left and 3 degrees positive on the right :lol:

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

New rack bushings? I just put a set in mine when I put the rack in.
                Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
                Originally posted by BoostedMamma
                Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

Working...
                X