300+ Performance Strut Bar Prototype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300+ Performance Strut Bar Prototype

Here are some pics. Remember, this is a prototype; the prodoction unit will look much nicer and each bar will be one piece.

Chuck Stong
    300+ Parts and Performance owner
    http://www.300-plus.com
    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

I have a cusco front strut bar and it helped but I think I'll get one of firehawk's sturt bars and see if those are better

P.S. Firehawk is there any chance of a bolt on under body brace

Comment

mike1988 wrote: I have a cusco front strut bar and it helped but I think I'll get one of firehawk's sturt bars and see if those are better

Anything is possible. I prefer weld in braces, but I might see about making one that partially unbolts to allow tranny removal, etc. I will check into designing one, but it will likely be another month until I really check it out.
      Chuck Stong

Comment

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
        Originally posted by mike1988
        I have a cusco front strut bar and it helped but I think I'll get one of firehawk's sturt bars and see if those are better

Anything is possible. I prefer weld in braces, but I might see about making one that partially unbolts to allow tranny removal, etc. I will check into designing one, but it will likely be another month until I really check it out.
        I was thinking more like a totaly unboltable only reason is that way you can totaly remove it if necessary

Comment

Looks like a high quality unit you're building there. How much clearance is there to the plenum? The round shaft might be what makes that a tight fit. The steel round shaft cusco bars apparently go around the front of the plenum to avoid clearance issues.

[quote]Firehawk wrote:

I'm already a few steps ahead of you on that one. Have not built the prototype yet though as I already have a lot going on and not much investment $ to throw around. E-mail me.

Comment

Maybe you could make one to where there is a bar in front and a bar in back but all one piece. Basically the same thing you have going on there but adding one more bar on the back side of the flanges. Double bar strut tower brace. Or do you think that would be over kill?
            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

[quote]mike1988 wrote: [quote=Firehawk]

I was thinking more like a totaly unboltable only reason is that way you can totaly remove it if necessary
              Or you could transfer it to another car like so many z31 people do.
              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

firewall bars please hah
                Daily:
                09 2.5SL Altima Grey
                08 4.0SE Pathfinder 4x4 Grey
                11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
                Z31s:
                88t Grey
                86t Pewter

Comment

From my experience in making STBs, the ONLY reason there is a length adjustment available is because not all cars are created equally. Between the strut towers, each cars are millimetters to centimeters different in lengths from each other. So. making a set without this adjustment would mean that the STB would only fit the car used to make the STB.
                  [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
                  [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
                  2000 Porsche Boxster
                  2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Looks like a high quality unit you're building there. How much clearance is there to the plenum? The round shaft might be what makes that a tight fit. The steel round shaft cusco bars apparently go around the front of the plenum to avoid clearance issues.
                    It does make it a tight fit, but it clears. The straight bar makes it much stronger, and if it is tightened inwards, you might get some camber gain. I will try that on an alignment machine. I can make other bars, but the cost would be very high for a bar made in limited numbers. People forget that there are r&d cost to fab up a unit, and don't want to pay the extra. If someone wants a particular type of bar made, I will do it if they are willing to cover the costs.
                    Chuck Stong

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote: [quote=mike1988][quote=Firehawk]

Or you could transfer it to another car like so many z31 people do.
                      right on the money or if god forsaken some body hit the z it can come off when it goes to the shop things tend to dissapear at the shops around me

Comment

I slotted my towers, each strut can move

Comment

G-E wrote: I slotted my towers, each strut can move
                          imagination is a virtue

Comment

craZed wrote: You could shave the motor mounts a little. That is, if you have polly or solid mounts.
                            which not everyone will have/want.. no harm in designing a little extra space into it for everyone

how's pathy plenum ?

Comment

[quote]G-E wrote:
                              Originally posted by craZed
                              You could shave the motor mounts a little. That is, if you have polly or solid mounts.
                              which not everyone will have/want.. no harm in designing a little extra space into it for everyone

how's pathy plenum ?
                              That was a sugestion for your car with its sloted strut towers.
                              imagination is a virtue

Comment

Working...
                              X