Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jason84NA2T question about your coilover setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2+2turbo wrote:
    well you can get close to those specs , with the tein superdrift kit , 559lbs in the front and 448 lbs in the rear with the corresponding dampers that come with the kit should be valved for those rates , if you need more stiffness , thats what the edfc is for .... im sure theres other brands that make equal to or stiffer damper/shocks combination as well...
    You don't need the edfc to adjust the damping, you can do it manually.

Steve: I'm sure you know illuminas are weak sauce as far as performance dampers are concerned. 350lb/in is about all they can hold with the damping settings they offer on the Z31 set.

Comment

I really want to test my konis so badly hahaha.... all I've done is circle the block slowly once this year, and right now my whole backend is out

I seem to have developed an oil pressure condition however when I last fired it up... but I'll start another thread

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
        Originally posted by 2+2turbo
        well you can get close to those specs , with the tein superdrift kit , 559lbs in the front and 448 lbs in the rear with the corresponding dampers that come with the kit should be valved for those rates , if you need more stiffness , thats what the edfc is for .... im sure theres other brands that make equal to or stiffer damper/shocks combination as well...
        You don't need the edfc to adjust the damping, you can do it manually.
        correct! but!!!but! there is 35 settings or around there, now that to me sounds like alot of settings ,and i believe each setting is 1/4 of a turn or so . my buddy who has the super drift setup on his s14 decided to be a jackass and not have the guy who installed the coilovers instal the edfc at the same time , something about pain the ass, have to cut some metal ,takes too long blah blah... and he has to adjust his manually of course . i saw him adjusting it once , it seem like the biggest pain in the ass to do it manually in small litle increments .....

are yours adjustable??? i wonder what other companies have adjustable damping , i know tanabe has the hotness speed variable adjust ones , but who else??

Comment

Steve: I'm sure you know illuminas are weak sauce as far as performance dampers are concerned. 350lb/in is about all they can hold with the damping settings they offer on the Z31 set.
          Yeah I've heard that. Why don't you go into this subject a bit deeper? Would be an interesting read to know in the Z31/S13 crowd of parts what rates can truly be utilized on this chassis.
          http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Steve88t wrote:
            Yeah I've heard that. Why don't you go into this subject a bit deeper? Would be an interesting read to know in the Z31/S13 crowd of parts what rates can truly be utilized on this chassis.
            I don't suppose you'd want to lend me about $500K so I could do every last thing I could come up with, would you?

The illuminas are designed for use with tokico's springs, which are very close most other drop-in replacement springs. They are still SUPER soft. Even ST/88SS springs are SUPER soft. The illuminas are a good budget damper capable of damping higher spring rates than the other cheaper shocks on the market. If you want to really make a Z31 handle fairly well you need 400+lb/in front and rear. A 3000+lb car pretty much demands that to begin with, but I think I can speak for it.

People who complain about the ride quality are silly... going to a spring rate almost double what I was running before made an almost minimal impact on ride quality except for being under-damped in the back. If you tune a damper for its critical damping to be in the correct range for the application, the car will ride well.

Comment

G-E wrote: I hear stance coils are good too, but I doubt earth shattering.... one thing it will allow is buying better stuff used cheaper

and you can get springs from a bunch of mfgrs like eibach, ground control, qa1, megan....
              Actually most people are comparing them to coilovers that are in the 2k range.. that's pretty 'earth shattering' for a $1k coilover... the guys of enjuku won't stop talking about them... touge factory makes good stuff.
              1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

I have the super drift set for my friends s13.

And have a few questions jason, was there any reason to keep the z31 rear jounce pad?Because it seems that the rear coil would fit fine with just drilling for the s13 pattern.

And what was the ID of the turbo strut tube?Because the coilover lower apater measures measures @ 2.25" and the coilover end by it self is 2"

I know tien sells heavier spring all the way up to 800lbs or so.And you can have them custom revalved for a cheap price.

Ill post some pics later tonight.
                1986 Current build
                HX35/40 60mm wheel,480cc injectors,nistune, spearco 2-221,6 puck,walbro fp,solid cross and diff,jason motor mounts,poly everywhere else.

Comment

just wondering but can the N/A tubes be used for the coilover set-up or do you recommend using the turbo tubes (aren't they wider in diameter compared to the na tubes where the strut-cartridge goes in?)
                  Stocker 87 na z31 and a slightly modded 90 240sx

Comment

Wow, I'm sorry but my st springs + bilstein setup is rock hard. I can't even begin to imagine 500lbs =/ When I go over the line seperaters in the road it is jarring. I am not complaining by any means, I love my car... but mine reacts perfectly, no body roll... nothing. It has a very in control stance and stands its ground no matter how hard I push it. I need to ride in someone's car who has a really high springrate =P
                    Daily:
                    09 2.5SL Altima Grey
                    08 4.0SE Pathfinder 4x4 Grey
                    11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
                    Z31s:
                    88t Grey
                    86t Pewter

Comment

utjon wrote: Wow, I'm sorry but my st springs + bilstein setup is rock hard. I can't even begin to imagine 500lbs =/ When I go over the line seperaters in the road it is jarring. I am not complaining by any means, I love my car... but mine reacts perfectly, no body roll... nothing. It has a very in control stance and stands its ground no matter how hard I push it. I need to ride in someone's car who has a really high springrate =P
                      you obviously don't know how to drive

the tires should be screaming if that's the case

Comment

obviously they are screaming =P
                        Daily:
                        09 2.5SL Altima Grey
                        08 4.0SE Pathfinder 4x4 Grey
                        11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
                        Z31s:
                        88t Grey
                        86t Pewter

Comment

anyone?!
                          Stocker 87 na z31 and a slightly modded 90 240sx

Comment

so whats new guys?

looking to get suspension parts for the SS maybe
                            Gone - 1988 Shiro
                            2004 BMW 330Ci
                            2005 BMW 330i
                            1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
                            http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

Comment

utjon wrote: Wow, I'm sorry but my st springs + bilstein setup is rock hard. I can't even begin to imagine 500lbs =/ When I go over the line seperaters in the road it is jarring. I am not complaining by any means, I love my car... but mine reacts perfectly, no body roll... nothing. It has a very in control stance and stands its ground no matter how hard I push it. I need to ride in someone's car who has a really high springrate =P
                              I used to think the same thing about my car & the Tokico set up I have. I have aluminum subframe bushings, aluminum diff & tranny mounts, urethane bushings everywhere else including the engine mounts. MSA sway bars. Car always felt so stiff like it didn't lean at all. Check out these pics of my car at the track last weekend. I'm going to do a coilover setup on my car now. My car needs stiffer spring rates & dampening to do better on the track. Too much body roll. Too soft in transitions. I actually spun my car off the track through an S section. I never lose control of my car. I almost caught it but the tail is just too soft.
                              http://www.trackday.net/Preview/2006-10 ... index.html
                              378whp 445wtq
                              http://mark86t.zmobiledetailing.com/.../v/Black+Hole/

Z Mobile Detailing, Las Vegas, NV

Comment

And here people try to tell me SS/ST springs are firm...

DanTSS's custom made Z31 "Race Spring Set" is spec'd at very livable rates for the street IMHO, and they will easily outperform anything else you can drop in short of going to custom coilovers.

Comment

Working...
                                X