Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jason84NA2T question about your coilover setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason84NA2T question about your coilover setup?

How are you liking your tanabes after all this time? Do you feel that the dampening is sufficient for a z31 with your spring rate? I've been doing quit a but of reading on other coilovers and now recently these new Stance coilovers. So far they seem to have a more positive reponse from people than the Megan Racing ones I was gong to buy. Of course without driving in a z31 with them I can't make a honest decision as to which is feel better.
    89 Black Z 5spd, tokico hp, msa springs, k&n cone, dynomax racemagnum muffler, stanza tb.

I know from riding with him that we both agree that his rear seems a bit underdamped...although it really only seems to be a problem when he goes over big bumps like on the highway. Can't comment for sure about handling however since I've never really been in the car while he has tackled any corners since he put in the coilovers.

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
    1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
    1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
    2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
    2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

if you are going to buy coilovers intended for s13 , remember the z31 is 400-500 lbs heavier so that will affect the spring rates you use.... you should go stiffer for better performance.

Comment

I am taking the extra weight of our z's into consideration. The problem is that not many people have done this swap so the info I get from different coilovers are from guys running them on their s13/14 cars. From what I can remember Jason and Butter are the only ones so far that still have there cars with s13/s14 coilovers, correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't asked Butter yet how the dampening feels on his Tanabe DD, plus he's got a s14 rear subframe so that could make some difference in feel. At first I was really going to buy the Megan Racing Street series but now after time has passed and s13/s14 people have gotten some milage out of them they don't seem so great. Don't get me wrong, they're great for the money but could be better. It seem like everytime something new comes out people rave about them for a few months then the truth finally comes out for or against. Initial impression of the Stance coilovers seem good but time will tell. Plus those come with two sets of springs 8/6 and 9/7.
        89 Black Z 5spd, tokico hp, msa springs, k&n cone, dynomax racemagnum muffler, stanza tb.

Comment

as the saying goes , you get what you pay for ....

i think overall the tein systems seem like the one with most positive feedback , tanabe and a couple ofo thers are really good as well . but you cant go wrong with the edfc!!! :twisted:

Comment

I hear stance coils are good too, but I doubt earth shattering.... one thing it will allow is buying better stuff used cheaper

and you can get springs from a bunch of mfgrs like eibach, ground control, qa1, megan....

Comment

The fronts are great. Spring rate and damping seems more than reasonably selected for both highway and more "agressive" driving.

The rear is too soft in both rate and damping. The Z31's rear suspension will work much better with a higher rate spring and more damping, in the mid 400's like the front (450) is probably closer to ideal than the ~340lb/in the tenabes come with. I'm kind of annoyed at how the rear end bounces over big bumps and feels a little uneasy when I throw the car around, so I will be going to another type of coilover in the back when I get around to it (probably similar to russ' setup).

Comment

I have heard bad things about megan also, quality don`t hold up. mattback is raving about stance right now and they are interested in the 450sx and might cut us a deal on some c o, i like them right now

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
                good thing....

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: The rear is too soft in both rate and damping. The Z31's rear suspension will work much better with a higher rate spring and more damping, in the mid 400's like the front (450) is probably closer to ideal than the ~340lb/in the tenabes come with.
                  You're running 450 up front? Holy shit! My 300's are pussy compared to that. On the rear you have the spring at the end of the control arm so the effective rate isnt reduced by being further inboard like those that have springs mounted in stock location.
                  http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

being that jason's rear coilover is what 6-7" behind the axle from the pivot point, if you moved the coilover to the natural spot (the spring perch or near to it), the spring rate would have to be close to double what he has

Comment

Thanks for the info Jason. In considering what you said about the rears I wonder if the megan track series would be a better fit. From there web site they state that the tracks series are re-valved for support the stiffer springs, 12k/10k. So many decisions :? I think that all of the reviews that I've read have been about the street series.

Comment

G-E wrote: being that jason's rear coilover is what 6-7" behind the axle from the pivot point, if you moved the coilover to the natural spot (the spring perch or near to it), the spring rate would have to be close to double what he has
                        I would bet that if you measured the motion ratio of the control arm at both points and the suspension geometry of STA, there is only a little change in effective rate by moving the spring outboard on the control arm.

Steve88t wrote: You're running 450 up front? Holy shazbot! My 300's are pussy compared to that. On the rear you have the spring at the end of the control arm so the effective rate isnt reduced by being further inboard like those that have springs mounted in stock location.
                        450lb/in is not that stiff for the front, it actually rides quite nicely. With the right valving I think somewhere around 600lb/in front and 550 rear would probably be in the range I would want for a track car.

JimmyZ89 wrote:
                        Thanks for the info Jason. In considering what you said about the rears I wonder if the megan track series would be a better fit. From there web site they state that the tracks series are re-valved for support the stiffer springs, 12k/10k. So many decisions :? I think that all of the reviews that I've read have been about the street series.
                        Too bad they don't have a 12K/11K combo. You could always put in the stiffer rear springs if you have the adjustable dampers anyway.

Comment

Now why is it that most coilovers are arranged that way, stiffer in the front than in the rear? I wonder how that affects the balance of our cars being setup like that, or even front-back or stiffer in the rear than in the front?

Comment

450lb/in is not that stiff for the front, it actually rides quite nicely. With the right valving I think somewhere around 600lb/in front and 550 rear would probably be in the range I would want for a track car.
                            You're starting to talk about exotic equipment now. Are any of the struts/shocks in question rebuildable or re-valvable? I know I wouldn't put my illuminas up against that stiff of a spring.
                            http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Steve88t wrote:
                              You're starting to talk about exotic equipment now. Are any of the struts/shocks in question rebuildable or re-valvable? I know I wouldn't put my illuminas up against that stiff of a spring.
                              well you can get close to those specs , with the tein superdrift kit , 559lbs in the front and 448 lbs in the rear with the corresponding dampers that come with the kit should be valved for those rates , if you need more stiffness , thats what the edfc is for .... im sure theres other brands that make equal to or stiffer damper/shocks combination as well...

Comment

Working...
                              X