Signal 12 -- 1 Shock Bolts -- 0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signal 12 -- 1 Shock Bolts -- 0

Yeah, I told them who's boss but DAMN what a pain in the ass!

The results:

The little bastards themselves:

...and the PepBoy shocks the previous owner had installed

Struts go in next
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Oh the tops ones were cake. It was the bottom bolt that slides through the shock bushing. THAT was a Bitch!

Neil-3 to Shock Bolts-0. Did them on my car and two friends' cars. Sawzall FTW!!!!!!!!!!

Looking good man!
    Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
    1986 300zx Turbo
    2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
    1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

I want bilstiens. there so freaking burly. I didn't know people had issues with the rear shock bolts.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

So what exactly it the issue with the lower mounting bolt on the Blisten dampers? Apparently I don't recall hearing about this before. :?
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: I want bilstiens. there so freaking burly. I didn't know people had issues with the rear shock bolts.
          Every lower shock bolt I have encountered I have stripped. They are seized on there. 3 cars were like this. I just get the sawzall out and 20 seconds later its over :twisted: Bolts are like $5 at the Nissan dealer.
          Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
          1986 300zx Turbo
          2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
          1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

glad to finally see some bilsteins out there 8)

would you mind taking a more detailed shot of them?

i plan to run them aswell, post up a review once shes back on all four

Comment

Neil86t wrote: Every lower shock bolt I have encountered I have stripped. They are seized on there. 3 cars were like this. I just get the sawzall out and 20 seconds later its over :twisted: Bolts are like $5 at the Nissan dealer.
              Interesting. Both of my cars were a bit of a pain the first time but they came off just fine with some initial aggressive force and some verbal warnings as to their potential pain.

I could say that about a lot of bolts on the first go around on both cars. To me that is the worst part of getting a new Z car. Dealing with the bolts that don't want to let go and the junk that has built up over the years and wasnt ever touched.
              Just stand back and throw money.
              Performance costs money.
              Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

I have never had a problem taking them off any car. I just use my impact gun and a wrench, and I have done more than I can remember.
                Chuck Stong
                300+ Parts and Performance owner
                http://www.300-plus.com
                2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

hmm, I've never had an trouble with 'em.

Just a good squirt of PB Blaster and then an impact wrench took the nut right off.

Also, it helps to jack the control arm up a bit when removing the bolt. This way the pressure from the spring is not resting on the bolt.
                  [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
                  [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
                  2000 Porsche Boxster
                  2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

no problem really here with the lower shock bolt as well. I just put a wrench on it (the full circle side) and beat it with a hammer to jar it loose. The neighbors were a bit cranky but that was about it

In hind sight, I really made the top bolts tougher than needed. I chose to not take off any of the paneling and go in from the speaker hole.

glad to finally see some bilsteins out there

would you mind taking a more detailed shot of them?

i plan to run them aswell, post up a review once shes back on all four
                    I can take more pics no prob, what kind of shots were you looking for?
                    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

you guys need to man up and buy a impact gun.
                      1986 Current build
                      HX35/40 60mm wheel,480cc injectors,nistune, spearco 2-221,6 puck,walbro fp,solid cross and diff,jason motor mounts,poly everywhere else.

Comment

wilson101 wrote: you guys need to man up and buy a impact gun.
                        funny you mention that. I just started the strut install...I can't get the brake caliper bolts off with my handtools :evil:
                        2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

the spark plug bar will slide nice over a round handled socket wrench to double as a cheat bar... thoes caliper bolts are cake

edt; even though i bought an imapact awhile back, i never find much use for it unless the bolt is really givin me shit

no more pics of the bilsteins??

Comment

yea i was about to say that, that shit takes like 10 seconds.

wilson101 wrote: you guys need to man up and buy a impact gun.

Comment

Working...
                            X