Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z32/R32 4 pot calipars on 85T-TT caliper info added for 85T

Hi huys

This Satturday i pick up a set of R32 4 pot caliaprs (30mm)and the 280mmmm rotors that go with them.

So when others have done the z32 4 pot swap what size rotor did it use?I know that the calipars bolts right up into the right spot (give or take a tiny bit of spacing) and since i am installing these on 84/85 hubs i hope to be able to fit longer studs into the hub and slip the rotor on the front then just simply use longer bolts for the calipar and use a piece of machined alloy or steel or whatever to center it over the rotor correctly.

Before you all flame me i do really think i will end up having custom hubs machined and custom brackets machined also but i am very determined to do the upgrade using 84/85 hubs since 88T hubs are not avalible to me unless i have some imported.

I will do a write up with photo's sometime in the next week or 2 (hopefully)
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

Z32 and R32 calipers are the same. Z32 swap requires using 87-89T front hubs and rotors if you are not using Z32 rotors.

More info here...
    http://www.redz31.com/pages/brakes.html
    http://www.redz31.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Comment

I have R32 rotors which i plan on using with the 85t hubs,by fitting longer studs the rotors will slip on the front and be making up a custom bracket this will allign the caliapr correctly.

or at least this is the plan,If there is no way for this to work i will be designing custom hubs and having them machined up to suit the stub axles and working with R32 rotors and calipars
      85 Turbo Slick Top

Comment

james wrote: I have R32 rotors which i plan on using with the 85t hubs,by fitting longer studs the rotors will slip on the front and be making up a custom bracket this will allign the caliapr correctly.

or at least this is the plan,If there is no way for this to work i will be designing custom hubs and having them machined up to suit the stub axles and working with R32 rotors and calipars
        Damn! sounds like it would be cheaper just to get some 87-89 hubs shipped to you! :shock:
        Attached Files
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

well i got my hubs calipars and rotors today

I test fitted the calipars onto stock 85T hubs and rotors and the calipar lines up nearly dead center a small washer will fix this and the pad is alligned to the rotor almost perfectly.The only real issue is using 20mm thick rotors in a hub designed for 30mm rotors but there is a small peice of metal inside the calpar which sits in front of the pads so i will just have some thicker versions of this machied up untill i find some 88 hubs

and with some 25mm spacers i can even use the stock 85 wheels

here are pics

85 Turbo Slick Top

Comment

I have been playing around with the R32/Z32 Rear calipers today and on the stock 85T rotors it dosn't line up very well but putting a 4mm spacer on the hub before the rotor is slipped on will allign the caliper over the rotor real nicely.

Then i had a play with the vented rotor.
            to fit this i will need to put about an 8mm spacer on before i slip the rotor on and then i bracket will need to be made to place the caliper in the positon i am holding it in that picture.At the point where it will line up there is also enough room to fit that bolt in which will hold the bracket down.

I am still to pull apart the skyline suspension i got these calipers off and have a good look at how i can make the drum brake part work.
            The skyline hub and inner drum brake is one unit so it may be possible to modify the 85T suspension so this can just bolt in.
            If it can't i wont be using the alloy twin pot calipers.

85 Turbo Slick Top

Comment

james wrote: well i got my hubs calipars and rotors today

I test fitted the calipars onto stock 85T hubs and rotors and the calipar lines up nearly dead center a small washer will fix this and the pad is alligned to the rotor almost perfectly.The only real issue is using 20mm thick rotors in a hub designed for 30mm rotors but there is a small peice of metal inside the calpar which sits in front of the pads so i will just have some thicker versions of this machied up untill i find some 88 hubs

and with some 25mm spacers i can even use the stock 85 wheels

here are pics

This sounds WAY better than trying to have some custom hubs made to work. Are the pieces of metal that you are talking about the ones that sit right on the back of the pad? the ones that the piston pushes on? If so, yeah just make those 5mm thick and put one on each side. Pay attention to the heat that goes into the rotor though. I dont know if the 20mm rotor will absorb the heat that the 30mm would. Just somthing to think about.
              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: Are the pieces of metal that you are talking about the ones that sit right on the back of the pad? the ones that the piston pushes on? If so, yeah just make those 5mm thick and put one on each side
                Yep they are the pieces i am meaning.Profile cut billet steel should work fine for those. Its a pain though i have 2 perfectly grunty 30mm rotors i can't use GRRRRR Oh well untill i have some 88 hubs thats the way it will stay

I am yet to try sliping the skyline rotors on the front. if i do this i may only need to use a 4 or 5 mm spacer on the bolts and then i can have my 30mm thick rotors .....will see how it goes when i pull a front hub apart
                85 Turbo Slick Top

Comment

Working...
                X