Found out what was wrong with my clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found out what was wrong with my clutch

After slamming the car into 2nd gear at the track and having the engine free rev, I thought my clutch was toast. Today, for shits and giggles, I inspect the clutch master to find ZERO fluid inside. Feces on toast.

Now this weekend I have.....

front wheel bearings/seals
    front struts
    clutch master
    clutch slave

Beer is on ice.
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

just be care full you don't mix up the beer and brake fluid :P
    1985 na2t slicktop 87t front and rear end with 96 z32 front brakes

Comment

aaahahahaha.

Sounds like a fun weekend

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Well, where is the leak at?...

how does the level of fluid in the MC have anything to do with the clutch slipping? If the hydraulic system were to fail entirely, it would only prevent you from disengaging the clutch. Two un-related clutch system issues here IMO.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Well, where is the leak at?...

how does the level of fluid in the MC have anything to do with the clutch slipping? If the hydraulic system were to fail entirely, it would only prevent you from disengaging
          the clutch. Two un-related clutch system issues here IMO.
          Yup, if your pedal flops to the floor because of lack of fluid then your clutch is grabbing at that point.

Dont fool yourself, your clutch is done.
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

well shit.

Right now the clutch sticks the floor. If I want it to depress then I have to pull it back and it'll spring back into normal position. This should be MBC related or am I out in right field?
            2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Master Cyl is Toast. You may also want to change the slave as well as it will be on it's way out too.

Here is Advance auto parts Price for the Master:
              http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...aster+Cylinder

And the slave

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...Slave+Cylinder

Comment

1- MBC??

2- as Satan said if you have no fluid in the clutch master cylinder rez then your pedal will stick to the floor. However, if you fill it and bleed the brakes it will not.

Personally I think you have 2 separate issues here.

Clutch is probably toast. Only way to know is to tear it apart.

You have a leak in the clutch lines somewhere. I would fill the rez, bleed the crap out of them and see what you have for clutch before tearing out the transmission. (path of least resistance first :shock: )

Then just to make things fun...it could be both. Coincidence is seldom just that.
                Just stand back and throw money.
                Performance costs money.
                Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

For sure check your Slave. If will be pretty apparent if the leak is there

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

slow down people

I think everyone is jumping far too quickly to a hydraulic problem. As it was pointed out, the clutch should still grab fine without fluid. Start by figuring out what happened under the car. I would imagine the release fork is fucked, and the slave push rod is gone or something to that effect.

Comment

Re: slow down people

nutsaq wrote: I think everyone is jumping far too quickly to a hydraulic problem. As it was pointed out, the clutch should still grab fine without fluid. Start by figuring out what happened under the car. I would imagine the release fork is fucked, and the slave push rod is gone or something to that effect.
                      Not only would it grab fine, but that is all it would do is grab. SO... this means that his clutch is slipping has NOTHING to due with the MC or the slave or any that crap. You could pull it all off and drive the car without using the clutch (ud have to start it while it was in 1st) BUT you can drive without the clutch pedal.

With this being the case, the clutch is DONE. I promise. I wouldnt lie to you.

Still check out why your hydraulics are messed up tho.
                      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Re: slow down people

SATAN wrote: With this being the case, the clutch is DONE. I promise. I wouldnt lie to you.

Still check out why your hydraulics are messed up tho.
                        10-4 there.

Then just to make things fun...it could be both. Coincidence is seldom just that.
                        With my track record on cars, this is likely the case
                        2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

just got back from a test drive after putting in a new cmc & csc. I'm getting quite a bit of chatter from the clutch when going from a stop or slow speed.

I gave it one short pull on third and things seemed ok with no slippage. Odd things lately with the Z.
                          2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

my guess...

Maybe your clutch was slipping badly > caused a lot of heat > grease was low on the throw-out bearing (clutch chattering) > then maybe the heat caused 1 set of springs in your disk to pop out > this caused your MBC to fail, because of the extra work needed to release the disk. < That is how my ACT street setup failed, but it failed because the shop that put it in for me a year or two ago didn't properly torque the surrounding bolts on the pressure plate. You have to do it yourself to get the job done right. 8)

It is working now that you've replace all broken hydraulics, but probably not for much longer.

Then again, I may only be right about the throw-out bearing.

Comment

I meant the cmc...

FrElL ops:

Comment

Working...
                              X