Bump steer spacers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bump steer spacers?

I have seen these made for other cars, I wanted to see if anybody was interested in something similar for a Z31.

If you don't know what this is, I'll try to explain it simply here... When you lower our cars more than 1" or so, the front suspension geometry starts getting less and less 'ideal'. A spacer inserted below the spindle/strut housing and on top of the steering knuckle will restore the control arm angle and suspension geometry closer to stock.

I could see these being machines out of aluminum and including new fasteners to make installation easy. The problem is how little room you have between the control arm and wheel rim with stock wheels, that would limit how big of a spacer could be made.

Anybody think this would make a good product? Who would be interested?

I was thinking of making some myself hahah

but I was looking into replacing the steering knuckle to enable a quicker steering ratio

*edit*
    btw have you found much bump steer in your track car? I mean it becomes an issue if your front suspension/springs aren't as strong and you have massive (ie stock) body lean?

Comment

Sounds like a good idea.

Comment

i'd be down to make something simple

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

G-E wrote: btw have you found much bump steer in your track car? I mean it becomes an issue if your front suspension/springs aren't as strong and you have massive (ie stock) body lean?
          The bump steer characteristics are not horrid, but it's very much noticably worse than stock with the car lowered about 2" up front.

Obviously spring rate in relation to suspension travel have a litlle to do with it as well, but as you know it's all about the position of the control arm in the end.

I think a redesigned steering knuckle could be another VERY good idea. Make something on a mill from billet stainless steel with a longer knuckle to change the steering ratio slightly; very interesting....

Comment

Count me in. Ive been thinking the same thing.
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

ideally the knuckle would have like 3 positions for the tie rod, remember they have to be pushed inward to clear the wheel when at lock so the holes would have to be more offset the closer to the strut they got

Comment

any idea if 280zx strut spacers will work on a z31, same set up...

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
                good thing....

Comment

I do know the struts are different, but something like the knuckle and bolt spacing might be compatible

Comment

If things go smoothly this weekend (not likely with this car), I might be able to answer this question over the weekend. I'll be under the front of my Z31, and I have the S30 (same as S130 I think) parts in the garage.

Jason

Comment

Spdstr280Z wrote: If things go smoothly this weekend (not likely with this car), I might be able to answer this question over the weekend. I'll be under the front of my Z31, and I have the S30 (same as S130 I think) parts in the garage.

Jason
                      As far as I know...
                      S30 != S130

Comment

Spdstr280Z wrote: If things go smoothly this weekend (not likely with this car), I might be able to answer this question over the weekend. I'll be under the front of my Z31, and I have the S30 (same as S130 I think) parts in the garage.

Jason
                        No go on the S30 / S130 spacers, the front bolt and ball joint holes line up, but the rear bolt is about 1/2" off. Also, the diameter of the raised part of the knuckle that fits into the bottom of the strut is a larger diameter on the Z31. There doesn't look to be enough meat to drill a new hole or slot for the rear bolt.

BTW, this is on an 88T, others may be different.

Jason

Comment

Thanks for actually checking it anyway. All of the Z31's use the same lower spindle mounting... so if/when I have the spacers made, they will fit all years.

Comment

my projectionismness

Comment

Working...
                            X