Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If braided stainless steel brake lines are so good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If braided stainless steel brake lines are so good...

How come they are always an "upgrade"? Why aren't they installed from the factory? I'm not saying that they're crap, but usually there's a tradeoff with mods. It could be cost, but those lines are not that expensive.

I have also heard that MSA's lines say that they are for off-road use only.

I should probably replace my 30 year old lines (they are cracked), but I have heard that they are really firm and some say that makes them hard to modulate. Others say that they're great and that it makes them easier to modulate.
    1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
    '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
    "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

they need to be DOT certified

the stainless mesh is abrasive so it can easily wear into the teflon lining over time, eventually causing a leak that will be hard to spot

it's reccomended you inspect them more periodically than rubber lines, and probably replace them every 2-3 years to be safe

Comment

probably the simple fact that rubber is cheaper then SS.

car manufactures are here to make money. not make you happy

Comment

Teflon/stainless braided brake lines are functionally superior to rubber/textile brake hoses. You will see racecars at the highest levels with them. They are however less safe if something hooks them or if they are pulled on. Teflon lines will snap their fittings off or break the hose. I have seen rubber lines strech several inches(like 4+) and still operate. That whole long term abrasion failure thing is a pretty serious problem if youre an automaker. People dont usually change brake hoses as a maintenance item in this country. I personally swear by them and have them on all my cars.

Paul

Comment

if car makers won't splurge for stainless chassis bolts, they sure as hell won't spring for braided lines

Comment

yeah, and same reason they don't splurge on stainless steel anything on the car for that matter. Except for that wonderful trim on our cars. heh.
            Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
            I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
            Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

The stock lines are very strong, never had a problem with them. Also, they are not just rubber, otherwise they could never hold the pressure. I have never priced stock replacement lines, but I bet they are more the ss lines. A set of ss lines are not that much, around $100.
              Chuck Stong
              300+ Parts and Performance owner
              http://www.300-plus.com
              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

yeah, its not there old american car rubber brake lines

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

1. Liability issues with less durable stainless lines.
                  2. Cost. Nylon Reinforced Rubber is cheaper than stainless.
                  3. No customer is going to go out of their way to purchase a car because it has stainless lines. Therefore, it makes no sense to put them on.
                  4. 0.5% of new car buyers know what they are.
                  6. PR nightmare with "brake lines of death" that only last 3 years.

Now apply the same formulas for turbos on new cars.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X