Tokico Illumina Lifespan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokico Illumina Lifespan?

I am trying to find out what the lifespan should be for a set of Illuminas. I installed fronts and rears around three years ago. I have less than 20,000 miles on them. Last night I was fortunate enough to get to use the garage in my wife's spot. When I backed out this morning, I noticed a small puddle of what felt and looked like vegatable oil where the left rear tire was. At first I thought it was brake fluid, but after pulling the wheel, it was obvious that the rear shock was belching oil. The right one is leaking as well, but not as much. They should have lasted alot longer than this correct? Did I kill them by not installing the proper bump stops? Which brings up another question, mine did not come with any bump stops. Therefore, I did not install any. They did not come with any dust shields as well. I just wire tied on the ones from the factory shocks, but I am sure there is a better solution. Looking for opinions and suggestions, thanks. By the way, I have ST, springs and swaybars as well.
    2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

z

Comment

zmech wrote: Get with Tokico about your shocks. They replaced a friend of mine shocks for free. Well shipping costs.
      Any idea on the length of time installed or milage put on them?
      2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

Comment

Just found this on the official Tokico website. I hope this works out and I can find my receipt.

- Q: Does TOKICO offer a warranty?
        A: TOKICO offers a limited lifetime warranty for all of our suspension products purchased for street use. Products used or designed for competition are not covered under warranty.

If anyone has installed these as well, please let me know what you did about bump stops, thanks.

Comment

I have found several posts on a Maxima site that reccomends using the KYB dust boots with built in bump stops. Has anyone tried these on our vehicles? Are they the same fitment?

Comment

New illuminas now come with dust boots. Mine on my beater lasted about 150k miles over a span of six years before they died, which just happened. They will be replaced soon.
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Firehawk wrote: New illuminas now come with dust boots. Mine on my beater lasted about 150k miles over a span of six years before they died, which just happened. They will be replaced soon.
              Appearantly, they will be replaced for free. This is good news about the boots, are the bump stops included as well? If not, I located the KYB's with bump stops in the latest Victoria British LTD catalog specifically for our cars. $40.00 bucks for the pair.

Comment

bump stops are not included.
                Chuck Stong

Comment

I received my new rear Illuminas on Wednesday. I sent the leaking ones back to MSA on Wednesday as well. After inspection I will know if MSA will be refunding my money. You have to pay in advance to receive the replacements. MSA then sends them out to Tokico and they determine if they are really warranty or not. Tokico is basically looking to see if anyone installed them with Vice grids on the piston shaft. This will be a "true" test of lifetime warranty as my original receipt was dated February 1996! I did not actually install them until 2002, but that does not matter. I will let everyone know what the outcome is.

Comment

You kept a set of dampeners for eight years before installing them? Damn, and i thought I was a procrastinator.
                    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: You kept a set of dampeners for eight years before installing them? Damn, and i thought I was a procrastinator.
                      Yes, I went overseas for six years and kept everything in storage. I am installing the new ones this morning and they have not changed any. Someone said that they have bellows now, but mine did not. The hardware provided still does not work either. I will do a write up on it and post it here.
                      Attached Files

Comment

they have oil and the shaft is coated, so in theory there should be no problems with unused old shocks... obviously after so many years the seals might get brittle but storing them room temp will push back that point a lot

the better quality stuff should easily last a decade... most of the mid-90's cars I've helped replace shocks/struts on were originals, and some like my k-car were never replaced (21 years old) well after they've expired ;P

Comment

[quote]CAG8OR wrote:
                          Originally posted by Az4u2c
                          You kept a set of dampeners for eight years before installing them? Damn, and i thought I was a procrastinator.
                          Yes, I went overseas for six years and kept everything in storage. I am installing the new ones this morning and they have not changed any. Someone said that they have bellows now, but mine did not. The hardware provided still does not work either. I will do a write up on it and post it here.
                          Yes, the dust boots are a new addition.
                          Chuck Stong

Comment

Firehawk:

Evidentally, MSA is not stocking new units then, because the ones they sent me had no dust boots and were identical to the ones I bought ten years ago. I installed new KYB dust boot/bellows with build in bump stops. I will post pictures later. I think they came out nice, but IMHO, Tokico should supply them.

I will have to call Tokico technical support and see when the dust boots were added.

Comment

OK, I finally got them in along with new Gary Molitor urethane spring seats. I am going to post quite a few pictures. Hopefully, the text will be clear enough for everyone to read.

Hopefully, this is helpful for someone.

Comment

Working...
                              X