No announcement yet.

Let's talk wheel studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While replacing my spring seats and rear Illuminas this weekend, I took a closer look at the stud removal/install. I don't think there is anyway to install the 50 or 60mm studs without pulling the stub axles. Oh well, guess it will have to wait until I am ready to install the modified cross member for camber correction.
    2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

Comment

I managed to source some other ARP extended studs that should fit the bill. Strangely enough they are for a late model Corvette, Camaro, or Firebird. The ARP part number is ARP-100-7708. They are not 12mm X 1.25 but are 12mm X 1.50, which means you will have to replace the nuts, but that is no big deal. The good news is that they are cheap! A set of five runs $12.95 from Summit. Here are the specs: Knurl Diameter: .509, Overall length: 2.50, Nose length: None, Knurl length: .315, all units are in inches. When you subtract the knurl length it leaves you with 2.185" and that coverts to 55.5 mm which is right in the middle of the Nismo units. I measured the knurl diameter of a new OEM Nissan stud and it was .507 with a length of .300, which is close enough for me. Hope this is helpful for somebody!
      2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

Comment

Comment

Zmech:

Thanks for the advice and pictures. I have a question though. Are the studs pictured the Miata studs or something else? According to the ARP catalog the Miata studs have a .350" nose length and the ones pictured have none. Honestly, that is why I choose to use the Corvette studs, they are the only ones listed with no nose. Also, they are slightly shorter, which is better for my purpose. I went to the race on Sunday with Mark from Vegas and he said you do very nice work. It looks like it from the pictures. I hope to install mine this weekend. I will take pictures as well. What dissadvantages are there for removing the dust shields? I figure the factory went to the expense to install them, so they must have a valid function other than blocking dust. Are there any cooling advantages when they are removed?

Comment

z

Comment

Re:

CAG8OR wrote: I managed to source some other ARP extended studs that should fit the bill. Strangely enough they are for a late model Corvette, Camaro, or Firebird. The ARP part number is ARP-100-7708. They are not 12mm X 1.25 but are 12mm X 1.50, which means you will have to replace the nuts, but that is no big deal. The good news is that they are cheap! A set of five runs $12.95 from Summit. Here are the specs: Knurl Diameter: .509, Overall length: 2.50, Nose length: None, Knurl length: .315, all units are in inches. When you subtract the knurl length it leaves you with 2.185" and that coverts to 55.5 mm which is right in the middle of the Nismo units. I measured the knurl diameter of a new OEM Nissan stud and it was .507 with a length of .300, which is close enough for me. Hope this is helpful for somebody!
              Did you ever install these?
              Praying....

Comment

Re: Let's talk wheel studs

Yes, but later removed them as they were too long for my application. I found out that someone had installed the improper (short) studs in my rear stub axles and that the factory correct units were just fine. I have some pictures laying around somewhere with deminsions. I will see if I can post them.

By the way, you can't install the long ones without removing the brake dust shields and good look in getting them off without pulling the stub axles.

Comment

CAG8OR wrote: By the way, you can't install the long ones without removing the brake dust shields and good look in getting them off without pulling the stub axles.
                  Agreed, they can be a pain. With the stub axles in, I was able to get a couple of the screws with a 90 degree phillips head. I sliced the heads off the others using a chisel and sledge. Then I punched out the remnants of the screw with a punch.

Comment

Hey zmech,
                    Not to hijack the thread, but what application are the Wilwood brakes for? And is it front or rear?

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                    1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

NissanEgg wrote: Hey zmech,
                      Not to hijack the thread, but what application are the Wilwood brakes for? And is it front or rear?
                      Here you go...

http://www.arizonazcar.com/z31front.html
                      Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
                      Originally posted by BoostedMamma
                      Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

I thought I had the dimensions laying around, but I can't find them now. I did find the pictures though. You can see the big difference in height. Someone had installed the shorter studs in my rears.

[attachment=2:15d95]Rear Studs.JPG[/attachment:15d95]

[attachment=1:15d95]Rear Studs (1).JPG[/attachment:15d95]

[attachment=0:15d95]Rear Studs (2).JPG[/attachment:15d95]

Comment

Last one:

The white bag is the aftermarket equivalent of the longer factory stud on the right in the picture. I bought these from Kragen Auto Parts for $1.10 each. This might be of help to someone.

[attachment=0:6ef58]Rear Studs (3).JPG[/attachment:6ef58]

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Doing them tommorrow!
                            Praying....

Comment

Working...
                            X