Z31 to S14 front suspension --- discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

exactly, you'll be shredding the outer edge of your inside tire in a turn and will barely have enough camber on the outside ....

Comment

z
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks good so far. Where is your camber adjustment set?

I tried S-chassis tie rods, they were too short. Maybe Z32 in/out are longer.
          sigpic

Comment

Perhaps a few dumb questions:

This looks excellent, but is there some advantage to using an S14 knuckle / strut that would make this worth the effort? It would seem much simpler to go with the Ground Control setup & just cutoff the stock spring perch for the front end.

Also - what are anyone's thoughts on the rear suspension: with urethane bushings in the Z31 rear end & perhaps a coilover setup, how good would that handle versus implanting a Z32 / S14 rear end? Are the Z32 stub axles any stronger than the Z31's? It seems like the Z31 pumpkin is retained more positively to the crossmember than is the Z32 unit - comments?

Also - what the heck does "IMO" mean?

Thanks.
            '84 AE Z31 - last time it was dyno'd - 392RWHP, 431 Ft-Lb RWTQ.

For this year - building a VG33, bigger turbo (GT35R BB), just got done with making my own custom roll cage, all of the bodywork and a new paint job!

Want more details? Check out my profile on vg30et.com!

Comment

Comment

turbomike wrote: This looks excellent, but is there some advantage to using an S14 knuckle / strut that would make this worth the effort? It would seem much simpler to go with the Ground Control setup & just cutoff the stock spring perch for the front end.
                off-the-shelf coilovers? lots of cheap used ones?

turbomike wrote: Also - what are anyone's thoughts on the rear suspension: with urethane bushings in the Z31 rear end & perhaps a coilover setup, how good would that handle versus implanting a Z32 / S14 rear end? Are the Z32 stub axles any stronger than the Z31's? It seems like the Z31 pumpkin is retained more positively to the crossmember than is the Z32 unit - comments?
                I think nissan engineered the diff to stay in place well in every case, I wouldn't worry.... the stub axles are only a weakpoint past 400hp with slicks

the bushings are needed whether you get coilovers or not

turbomike wrote:
                Also - what the heck does "IMO" mean?
                hahahaha wtf

Comment

Ok Darren, if the Z32 or 240sx rear subframes won't be used then I can't wait to see what you come up with to get those coilovers mounted in the rear. Unless you go the route that Jason & others have done. Or are you doing something different altogether?
                  378whp 445wtq
                  http://mark86t.zmobiledetailing.com/.../v/Black+Hole/

Z Mobile Detailing, Las Vegas, NV

Comment

z
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks now i have another project im looking forward too.
                      Attached Files
                      1986 Current build
                      HX35/40 60mm wheel,480cc injectors,nistune, spearco 2-221,6 puck,walbro fp,solid cross and diff,jason motor mounts,poly everywhere else.

Comment

Hmm... This is what i have been thinking today

S13 180SX LCA should be little shorter than S14, but longer than Z31.
                        SX knuckles are easy to find.
                        New SX LCA with balljoint is cheap.
                        Adjustable tension rod from S13/S14/Z32 (what would be best choise)
                        Conversion hubs, new bearing for hub and Nismo hub bolts.
                        Coilovers from S13 or S14. Differences should be in knuckle. S13 knuckle bolt holes are smaller -> drill little bigger.

When LCA is longer than Z31, camber should be little better. Right?
                        Jukka Kivinen - Europe / Finland - '88 Turbo 2+2 Targa
                        Datsun Nissan Sports Cars of Finland
                        http://www.z31turbo.com / http://www.z31na.com

Comment

z

Comment

please put some sort of disclaimer at the top/bottom of it so people know that it's still un-tested..
                            1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

S13 (180SX) LCA is curved to the rear as well so you cannot use it.

Besides, the S-chassis arms are waaaay too long for our steering linkage.
                              sigpic

Comment

Zmech you chose S14 knuckles because 5-lug is typically cheaper correct?

Zmech/Buter...
                                Is there enough difference in S13/14 knuckles and coilovers to doubt that this conversion could be done using S13 parts?

reason being, in my case, I already have dibs on complete S13 front and rear suspension for free.

I know the balljoint is different (S13 smaller than S14, but is S13 smaller or larger than Z31?) If there's no conclusive answer I guess I'll just have to start bolting stuff up and see.

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X