no power steering swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no power steering swap

When i had the engine out during the na2turbo swap i took the powersteering reservoir and all the lines out thinkin that was all i had to do for the swap,well i had a friend come over the other day who has an rx7 because he wanted to go for a ride in the z,he noticed how hard it was for me to turn while at a stop.

So i told him how i took my powersteering out, i told him i still had the same rack in there and he said when he took is powersteering out he put in a whole new manual rack he called it,so those of you that have done the no power steering swap in a z31,what else do i need or where can i find a manual rack?thanks guys
    87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

yeah mine is the same way.

i just took the belt off mine because i moved my alternator to that side of the motor. it sucks without the power steering. its alright on the highway.

you can get manual racks in canada. you have to get one from the SF model Z31. it didn't have power steering, windows or locks. it was a very base model.

i'm not sure what others are doing though. i will hook my power steering back up because i like it. its just been to cold to bother with hooking it back up. i only drive on the highway anyway. not much city stuff.

Comment

ya i actually think its better for track racing,you get more of a feel of the car with no powersteering

Comment

I just pulled all of my crap out and never bothered to bitch about how hard it is turn turn the wheel.

Tell your friend to go eat some Wheaties or a steak or somthing!
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

hahahahaa i guess ill just leave it then

Comment

SATAN wrote: I just pulled all of my crap out and never bothered to bitch about how hard it is turn turn the wheel.

Tell your friend to go eat some Wheaties or a steak or somthing!
            did you plug the lines or something? , ive been running a dry rack for a while , its seems actually easier to turn without any fluid in the system but i would put some type of reservoir for fluid or something if it would help elongate the life of the rack . right now i just have the p/s lines sitting in the engine bay looking like shit i need to fix this soon...

Comment

i haven't gotten to move it yet but the z31 i'm turning into a drag car has no p/s. what i did was removed the pump and ran a line to and from the resivoir to the rack so there will still be fluid but it'll have a place to expand.

boost. does a body good!

Comment

jjewell wrote: i haven't gotten to move it yet but the z31 i'm turning into a drag car has no p/s. what i did was removed the pump and ran a line to and from the resivoir to the rack so there will still be fluid but it'll have a place to expand.
                that makes sense,because it will still keep it lubricated and less stress on the rack

Comment

Manual rack!!?!?!?!

I WANT

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Manual rack!!?!?!?!

I WANT
                    That's because some of them (RX7) actually came with a manual rack from the factory, so they are fairly easy to locate and a direct swap. We did this with the $2006 GRM challenge car. The primary difference is the steering ratio... unfortunately we don't have such an option.

Comment

I wounder if an s30 rack can be made to work?
                      imagination is a virtue

Comment

is there no Canadian source for SF model remanufactured racks?

Any Canadians on the board that are willing to look into it and possibly serve as middle man to us Yankees?

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Comment

I really don't get this notion of getting rid of the power steering. It takes almost no power to run ours and having to muscle a car around a track w/o it sucks. You can't turn as quickly becuase of the extra strain on your arms.

I've driven enough Z31's with the belt off for test drives and one lap around a track that way and think it's not an advantage at all.

Now drag racing, rip the bitch out......
                          http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

jjewell wrote: i haven't gotten to move it yet but the z31 i'm turning into a drag car has no p/s. what i did was removed the pump and ran a line to and from the resivoir to the rack so there will still be fluid but it'll have a place to expand.
                            I would think that having any fluid in the rack will make it harder to turn. I doubt you will wear out a rack w/o fluid. Its not like it moves much compared to something that rotates.
                            Chuck Stong
                            300+ Parts and Performance owner
                            http://www.300-plus.com
                            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

87-85turbo wrote: ya i actually think its better for track racing,you get more of a feel of the car with no powersteering
                              Yea you might get a better feel but what are you gonna be feeling after 10 laps in the hot sun? You'll be more consistiant with PS

Comment

Working...
                              X