HP Shocks with ST Lowering Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Shocks with ST Lowering Springs?

On an 86NA2T, anyone here have a set up using HP Shocks and Suspension Techniques lowering springs?

I need to know what others think of this set up, since I can pick them up for very cheap, $212 shipped for the HP Shocks, and $206 bux for the ST Springs shipped!
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
    ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

I would say no... the HPs aren't exactly a performance shock while the STs are some of the higher rate springs. I have bilstein hd shocks with my STs. I think I bought them from nopi for right around 400 shipped. You get what you pay for.
    Daily:
    09 2.5SL Altima Grey
    08 4.0SE Pathfinder 4x4 Grey
    11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
    Z31s:
    88t Grey
    86t Pewter

Comment

thats my set up.. itll be awhile till i know how it feels (till project 88 is road worthy), but in honesty im aiming for a ride close to a SS to keep comfort and a spice of performance when i want it, shure they're not illuminas but w/e..

i was actually considering Bilsteins, but consider a 18yr olds rate of income between school and part time :lol:

just waiting to install when the suspension comes together as a whole

:arrow: p.s. $200 some for ST springs?? order them from JCWhitney.com, $80 a set.. $160 total, free shipping

Comment

the HP dampers will work fine for a while, the issue is that the ST springs will wear them out quicker than say stock springs or Tokico springs.

My set are still pretty new and feel good. They handle the ST springs just fine for now. btw- I started with Tokico springs and quickly changed to ST and that is why I didn't start with a bit "stronger" damper.

If I were you I would consider some other options on dampers.
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

i have st's on both my cars.
          one has tokico blues and is great, pretty stiff. (also has every other susp. upgrade)
          other has kyb cheapos and still feels fine. not as stiff as the blues but still feel nice and have gotten abused for quite some time now with no probs.

Comment

Bilsteins are nice. That is what are on my wife's car and it handles great on the track and they last longer than the tokiko shocks. When it comes time to rebuild them, I will use different rates than stock.
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

koni cost the same as bilstein more-or-less but give you adjustability, I'm surprised so many ignore them.... you'll find everyone who uses koni loves them

Comment

I have this setup and the back is too soft.. I would go with tokico illumina on the back and keep my HP in the front. I will try that this summer.
                Fairlady Z 1990 2+2 Twinturbo

Comment

Can I use illuminas with my NA strut tubes or do I need to find turbo strut tubes?

Comment

wich are the best shocks available for the z31?
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

Comment

p_bagnano wrote: Can I use illuminas with my NA strut tubes or do I need to find turbo strut tubes?
                      unless you can find the no longer available na illuminas, you need turbo strut tubes
                      Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
                      Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Comment

G-E wrote: koni cost the same as bilstein more-or-less but give you adjustability, I'm surprised so many ignore them.... you'll find everyone who uses koni loves them
                        A guy I used to work with preferred Bilsteins b/c you wouldn't be temped to mess with them. Of course, he knew what he was doing (PCA club racer) and had the shocks valved to his specs...

I had tokico blues and ST's in my 85NA and though it was pretty good til I bought my SS (w/ bilsteins). The next time I drove the 85, I stopped after a few minutes to see if my tires were low/flat the ride was so bad.
                        1988 300ZX Turbo SS
                        2000 BMW 323Ci
                        2003 BMW 325XiT

Comment

Working...
                        X