Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you have to compress your springs for shock install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you have to compress your springs for shock install?

Do you have to compress your spring to put the kyb kit and shock on the z31 turbo?

you can do it without spring compressors if you are careful. remove the top nut on the strut while the car is still putting weight on the spring. then unbolt the other 3 bolts. then jack the car up slowly.

on the back unbolt the bottom of the shock. then jack up the car. the spring should fall out.

reverse to put back together.

Comment

make sure you have the flat edge of the shock lined up with the flat side of hole. I played hell getting it right. I had spring compressors, but they were completely useless in the tight fender well.
      My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
      My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
      207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

NAPA and other parts stores will probably have spring compressors that you can rent pretty cheaply.
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: NAPA and other parts stores will probably have spring compressors that you can rent pretty cheaply.
          Yes and they're refundable deposits. If you're just doing the rear shocks, you need not touch the springs at all.
          Originally posted by Andrew84zx
          tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
          545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: make sure you have the flat edge of the shock lined up with the flat side of hole. I played hell getting it right. I had spring compressors, but they were completely useless in the tight fender well.
            You don't use the compressors with the strut assembly on the car.
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

on the back, you have to disconnect the axle first or the control arm will not be able to pivot down enough for the spring to come out.
              Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
              Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Comment

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
                Originally posted by Az4u2c
                make sure you have the flat edge of the shock lined up with the flat side of hole. I played hell getting it right. I had spring compressors, but they were completely useless in the tight fender well.
                You don't use the compressors with the strut assembly on the car.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Working...
                X