steering problem - suspension possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering problem - suspension possibility

So I really want to get this car up and moving - the biggest thing in my way right now is my steering/suspension I believe. Periodically my car will pull to the left or right. Its not an alignment problem, at least I dont think. I think maybe something is loose because it does this even if the wheel is in one place and i'm holding it still. The previous owner said it was a U-joint if I remember correctly.

Any idea on how to go about fixing this myself? I do have access to lifts but I don't know the first thing about going to replace something like this if that is the problem.

check your steering linkage. You have to get under the car to do that. Make sure you use jackstands

There is a u joing in the steering linkage that goes bad, and that play will allow your whells to go all over the place on their own within the bounds of how much slop is there. This is actually a serious safety issue also.

I pulled a linkage off Roni's old z that not only had a boat of slop but appeared to be pretty close to experiencing a shear/catastrophic failure.

If that's your problem its a 20 minute job if you have part in hand, and you will be very happy when you have nice tight steering again.
    "If you don't hold it....you don't own it"

Comment

Thanks a lot, time to look for the steering linkage piece.. i can almost garuntee that that is the problem. It doesn't really feel like suspension at all, its in the steering because I actually just got an alignment for the car.

Comment

i would get under the car and check everything out first before you order anything. check for worn tie rod ends and balljoints
        Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
        Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Comment

^2nd both of those.

One other thing to look at once you have either replaced or absolutely eliminated the above items is the front wheel bearings.

One thing I would suggest is to do a quick check to make sure they are properly tightened. Over time some wear can make them loose. FSM or Haynes should have the info you will need to know to do this. Easy as pie.
          Just stand back and throw money.
          Performance costs money.
          Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

DrewZee87T wrote: check your steering linkage. You have to get under the car to do that. Make sure you use jackstands

There is a u joing in the steering linkage that goes bad, and that play will allow your whells to go all over the place on their own within the bounds of how much slop is there. This is actually a serious safety issue also.

I pulled a linkage off Roni's old z that not only had a boat of slop but appeared to be pretty close to experiencing a shear/catastrophic failure.

If that's your problem its a 20 minute job if you have part in hand, and you will be very happy when you have nice tight steering again.
            Is the piece that has to be replaced from the U joint that bolts onto the rack up to where it is splined up at the top where it joints the rest of the column? My friends car has this same problem. Been fighting with it and told him he needs to get that knuckle first.

Comment

Check rack bushings as will. My rack would slide side to side causing it to do very random things

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Working...
              X