Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]Chris86NA2T wrote:
    Originally posted by 84z31
    you can weld stainless to mild. get a book learn how to do it.

we weld it all the time in the oil field. next comment. :roll:

so yes you are missing something.

i'll tell you the secret, put more heat onto the SS then the mild. use SS welding wire, and CO2 works nicely and doesn't stain the SS.

ive never heat of that before.. very interesting.. how strong is the weld? are there any downsides? please post or link some more info if you have it.
    downsides = if you use c25 it makes the welds all black ,and you definetly have to use some sort of gas (no flux)

i tried to find a link but just found a bunch of other forums talking about the same crap . buy a welding book , i got the haynes manual for welding , it has alot of good essential info in it ..

Comment

i have it in my lincoln welding book. its in storage.

if you do it right the weld will be just as strong as welding mild to mild, or SS to SS.

the only down sides are if you don't know how to do it right

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?Article ... lar_Metals

http://www.welding-advisers.com/Weld-FAQ.html#SMS

Comment

and the reason i had to put more heat to the SS is because it was much thicker then the 1/8" plate i used to weld to the body.

our welders out at work weld stainless pipe to mild steel pipe quite a bit. and i have talked with them about it as well.

they use stick welders instead of a mig, like me.

Comment

84z31 wrote: you can weld stainless to mild. get a book learn how to do it.

i'll tell you the secret, put more heat onto the SS then the mild. use SS welding wire, and CO2 works nicely and doesn't stain the SS.
          You mean they know how to use something other than a stick on an oil rig?

/me thinks you lie.
          http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

welding dissimilar metals is nothing new , im pretty sure what tells you if you can/can't weld it is if its a ferrous/non ferrous material or some shyte like that.

Comment

they know how to.

they just won't use anything other then stick.

you can't get the kind of penetration you need to weld 18" pipe with a mig. with a mig that is portable, has a generator and fits on the back of a pickup truck. :wink: not to mention how much shielding gas they would go through pipelining. stick is the way to go out there.

they just barely figured out that a plasma cutter works really well. :roll:

they are old cranky welders anyway. no use in arguing.

Comment

[quote]2+2turbo wrote: [quote=Chris86NA2T]

ive never heat of that before.. very interesting.. how strong is the weld? are there any downsides? please post or link some more info if you have it.
                downsides = if you use c25 it makes the welds all black ,and you definetly have to use some sort of gas (no flux)

i tried to find a link but just found a bunch of other forums talking about the same crap . buy a welding book , i got the haynes manual for welding , it has alot of good essential info in it ..
                does the haynes book cover wlding stainless to mild? i have several welding books and i can not find anthing on this topic

Comment

i have no idea about haynes. what does it matter?

go get a lincoln arc welding manual. read the 1000+ pages of info.

take some welding classes.

i have a certificate of welding and metal fabrication from montana state university. i can run almost any equipment from my training and work with fabrication. i just don't own any.

did you read any of the links i posted? i searched on google. i found the links in less then a minute. what are you even arguing for?

Comment

Agreed, no point in arguing with them. The can stick better than I can mig any day.

I worked in a shop that made pig injection stations years ago. The welders there were pimp. They could lay beads with a stick you would think were done with a cnc welding machine.

I used to like watching the jig for welding 5-6 layers on a 18"-30" pipe. 40ft sections of pipe rolling together with a perfect bead coming out.
                    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

84z31 wrote: i have no idea about haynes. what does it matter?

i have a certificate of welding and metal fabrication from montana state university. i can run almost any equipment from my training and work with fabrication. i just don't own any.

did you read any of the links i posted? i searched on google. i found the links in less then a minute. what are you even arguing for?
                      i just saw the post, thanks for the links, i found the same thing while googling.. and who is arguing anything? im asking you a question about something i am unfamiliar with.

Comment

Some of the old school stick welder guys are just amazing. For most of us with moderate ability and limited access to equipment...we do what we can. Usually that is less that what we would hope for.

Some of the toughest welds aren't just stainless, aluminum or other "specialty" metals. Getting a good bead on metals that have a drastic difference in thickness is a royal pain in the ass. Especially when you are dealing with the very thin body metal and all the crap that is contaminating it.

Two thumbs up here man, clean it up, and drive it like you stole it. :twisted:
                        Just stand back and throw money.
                        Performance costs money.
                        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: Two thumbs up here man, clean it up, and drive it like you stole it. :twisted:
                          imagination is a virtue

Comment

[quote]Chris86NA2T wrote: [quote=2+2turbo][quote=Chris86NA2T]

does the haynes book cover wlding stainless to mild? i have several welding books and i can not find anthing on this topic
                            yes it does , it also talks about different gasses to use when welding different metals .

Comment

sorry i get defensive. my nature.

but really the stuff is really easy to weld. its expensive, but it looks damn nice in there. i plan on polishing the stuff later on to have a little bling in the car.

i really would suggest buying lincoln arc welding guide.

http://www.toolingu.com/bookstore/item_ ... item_ID=69

its a great book of information. there is also a procedure book for MIG welding and Tig welding.

[quote]Chris86NA2T wrote:
                              i have no idea about haynes. what does it matter?

i just saw the post, thanks for the links, i found the same thing while googling.. and who is arguing anything? im asking you a question about something i am unfamiliar with.
                              :lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X