Rear Cusco strut bar install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Cusco strut bar install

Ok, we all know how they are installed, etc. I am putting in my Cusco bar in the rear, and it seems that the studs on the shock mount are too short once you put the flange on the shock tower. I can get the nuts started, but I am not getting many threads on the nut. At this point, it doesn't look like the studs will protrude out the top of the nut. I tightened it down and the stud is about in the middle of the nut. I didn’t want to go heeman tight in fear of stripping the stud. So I guess what I am asking: Is this safe?

I remember Al's rear strut didn't have this issue because I think his flange was not as thick.

Another solution I see is pressing in longer studs into the shock mount.

Any suggestions?

or how about using tapered nuts (like the lug nuts) and counter-boring the holes so they seat properly?

Comment

check and make sure the plate is seating all the way flush with the shock tower or maybe youve got a problem with your top shock mount. I never had this problem before with a few sets of cusco bars on a few different cars.

Comment

Are you using the stock plate that slides on the top but underneith the nuts? If so, remove it. If yours didn't have one then that would explain the shorter stds... maybe there are two versions.

Comment

Yeah, no plate. The studs always seemed short even without a strut bar flange. I think I am going to use some longer Grade 8 bolts and weld the heads to the shock mount. Sound good?

Comment

Got mine on the 88 with no issues yesterday. The top of the nut is flush with the bolt and in torque spec, not over, while still using the upper plate. :?

Comment

MikeZ wrote: Yeah, no plate. The studs always seemed short even without a strut bar flange. I think I am going to use some longer Grade 8 bolts and weld the heads to the shock mount. Sound good?
              Might be easier to find another set of stock ones... did you check the fiche and see if there were two versions?

Comment

Im retarded. After taking the shocks out, I noticed that I somehow kept the top plate on top of the shock mount under the car (hence why the bolts **seemed** too short).

Comment

Woo hoo retardedness!

Comment

Working...
                  X