control arm bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• control arm bushings

i finally got some rear control arm bushings. this maybe a newbie question.

how long did it take you to replace them?

i've got my MAP gas ready to go. i'm going to cook them then remove the metal sleeve. and then replace the rubber with poly.

do i need to remove the whole arm or can i do this under the car without removing everything? i was hoping i could just remove the mounting bolts, drop down the arm and go to town.

thanks

It's much easier/safer to remove everything...

Heat the outside of the bushing and try to do it evenly. It's easier to remove the remaining rubber from the OD of the inner sleeve than the ID of the outer sleeve.

Comment

i have a dremel so hopefully i can clean it out really good after i get them all apart.

i am thinking about making the crossmember to body a solid bushing as well. and then making a solid diff hanger. so if i'm going to tear it all apart. i might as well make all the rest of the stuff as well.

Comment

84z31 wrote: i finally got some rear control arm bushings. this maybe a newbie question.

how long did it take you to replace them?

i've got my MAP gas ready to go. i'm going to cook them then remove the metal sleeve. and then replace the rubber with poly.

do i need to remove the whole arm or can i do this under the car without removing everything? i was hoping i could just remove the mounting bolts, drop down the arm and go to town.

thanks
        think about it.. you are going to burn them out.. could you do it by just dropping the arms? probably.. but do you really want to set 4 small fires directly under your car? if you think about the job, it really isnt that much more work to pull the arms out.. disconnect the shock, disconnect the sway bar, disconnect the parking brake and brake line, and pop the halfshaft out of the rear. if you are quick and you dont have stuck hardware it will only add a half hour to the job... the benefit of not having a fire under your car, and the time you save by not having to clean out the holes while lying down in an akward position far outweighs the tiny bit of extra work to remove the arms completly.. only thing that blows is you have to give the rear brakes a quick bleed at the end. just take the arms out

Comment

i've already had the bottom on fire a few times with my welding of crap to the inside.

i don't know. i'll get out the jack stands and take a looksy. and report back tomarrow night.

thanks.

i may just go pull my other sub frame this week and prep it for a quick install and rebuild. damn everything on this car turns into a bigger project, not just a quick fix.

thats the nature of my sickness with fixing up cars i guess.

Comment

I always remove the arms. Much easier to clean them up, too.
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

i didn't remove the arms just took out the bolts and let it hang from the shock , i didnt even take off the wheel. you definetly need to take off the sway bar tho , i did it this way because it was 9p.m. and i had to be at work the next day at 7 A.M. sooo yeah .

i would have l0oved to take everything apart and cleaned and painted the arms but no time! :x

the hardest part was getting the control arm mount to line back up with the brackets on the crossmember , but with my car on jackstands and a little persuasion front the jack and some prybars i managed to get it back on ( yeah i know i'm a BEAST! :lol: )

Comment

well, incase anyone is wondering......

i got the passenger side bushings in...

i figured out how to do it without removing the subframe.

remove the spring, sway bar, and shock. then remove the bolts that hold the arms to the subframe.

heat up the bushings with MAP gas....

grab the metal inner bushing with some vice grips. then twist, pull and its out.

burn the hell out of the bushings. then get a small flap disk thingy for a drill or die grinder to clean out the rest of the crap.

i'll finish the other side tomarrow night and take some pictures with my write up crap.

make sure you use good jack stands. my car is high enough that i can slide under it with my creeper. :lol:

Comment

84z31 wrote: i've already had the bottom on fire a few times with my welding of crap to the inside.

i don't know. i'll get out the jack stands and take a looksy. and report back tomarrow night.

thanks.

i may just go pull my other sub frame this week and prep it for a quick install and rebuild. damn everything on this car turns into a bigger project, not just a quick fix.

thats the nature of my sickness with fixing up cars i guess.
                  Did you light up a smoke while you were under the car near the petrol tank welding to :P

Comment

no.

i removed the charcoal canister. the gas tank vents up near the engine compartment. no boom, boom for me. :wink:

Comment

Working...
                    X