Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optimum tire size for 10 wide wheel? (Updated w/ pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimum tire size for 10 wide wheel? (Updated w/ pics!

I just picked up a kickass set of staggered wheels. I was patient and waited till I found the right set at the right price, but little compromises have to made buying via this method. Anyways the set I got is 18X8.5 and 18X10, a littel bigger than I wanted but close enough. I also snagged a kickass set of tires as well and of course the size was a compromise as well. I got 235/40's up front (happy with that) and 265/35 in the rear. I am concerned that the rears aren't going to be wide enough to look/perform properly. No offense to Butter but I don't particularly dig the "I-stretched-my-too-small-tire-to-fit-this-rim" look. After checking Wheelshow I can't clearly see the differences between a 265 or 275 mounted on a 10" rim. Obviously I haven't mounted them up yet, but wanted to get some opinions before I do (or don't).

285's should work just fine on a 10" wheel.
    Chuck Stong
    300+ Parts and Performance owner
    http://www.300-plus.com
    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

265 should look fine.

Comment

I had 275's on my old 10" wide wheels and they filled things out perfectly in my opinion. Just a slight buldge to cover the lip and no sign of undersizing.

I think, however, you'll be happy with the 265's, especially seeing you already have them.
        2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

I think Butter had his tires "stretched" for drifting and autocross reasons.
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          2000 Porsche Boxster
          2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Dont be afraid. 225 on a 10.5 lol

This looks good 18x10, 255 width michelin pilot sports Just to give u a better idea

Comment

I'm doing 285 on a 17"x10" wheel and if I had 18's I'd easily go with a 295...they just don't make any for the 17"

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
              1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
              1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
              2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
              2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

Alrighty then I'll give 'em a shot, thanks for the input. I'm gonna get the rears done on Thurs and the fronts on Fri., expect pics over the weekend....

Comment

it depends on tire design too, some have a more squared tread, others have rim protector bands, some just curve like a donut

I was comparing a 225/50/16 on 6"/7"/8" rims, and altho ours falls in the middle it actually seemed better on the 8", where 235 might have been perfect for the 8"

likewse 205/55 on a 6.5x16" rim looks good too, less tread but the sidewalls are more vertical with little to no buldge

Comment

Depends on the tires, use the mfr. recommended size rim for the tires you pick and you will be fine. Some 245's are much wider than other 265's...

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Depends on the tires, use the mfr. recommended size rim for the tires you pick and you will be fine. Some 245's are much wider than other 265's...
                      I completely agree. I took off a set of 295 35 18's and they looked perfect, then went with yokohama avs sports 275 35 18 and the rim on the outer edge sticks out a little, but the sidewall is straight up and not stretched like butters. It will depend on the tires that you run and what the manufacturer recommends for that tire. This is for a 18" 10" wide wheel btw.
                      Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
                      Originally posted by BoostedMamma
                      Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

Z31SPL wrote: Dont be afraid. 225 on a 10.5 lol

This looks good 18x10, 255 width michelin pilot sports Just to give u a better idea

That is just the sickest of the sick LOL

I thought my 245 40 18s on 9.5s looked pretty cool...that just takes the cake HA!
                        Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

Comment

bemis wrote: I think Butter had his tires "stretched" for drifting and autocross reasons.
                          Butter doesn't autocross and no real autocross drivers undersize their tires.
                          Just in case you're wondering, I'm Pylon_Boy

I'm moving out of the country. Buy my tools, cars, car parts, ect.
                          http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZpylon_boyQQhtZ-1

Comment

forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of undersizing tires? that must looks dangerous to me.
                            Funny stories!

Comment

homestar wrote: forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of undersizing tires? that must looks dangerous to me.
                              the sidewalls become stiffer from stretching them .

i asked the same question a while back....

Comment

Working...
                              X