Strut cartridge interchangeability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strut cartridge interchangeability

I’m kind of in a pinch this week by A4 being down and now my Z giving me trouble. I did finally get the front spindle bolt off (26mm thanks G-E) and the front outer bearing had broke like I thought, but in the process fusing itself to the spindle. Well after I got most of it off it was clear that the whole thing needed to be replaced because of the damage done to the spindle.
    My Z is a 87 na. the only junk yard around has one from an 88 turbo. From what I have found I need to get on from another 87-89 na because the turbos had bigger diameter struts.
    Please tell me I’m wrong and I can use the one from a turbo. If not does anyone had one for sale that I can get fast? Passenger side.
    This is the pieces that I’m talking about just in case I’m using the wrong terminology.

Yes I pulled the image from Jasons site.

if you are or have replaced the strut's guts with an aftermarket insert, some like koni ship with two gland nuts one that will fit each type, if you are just swapping in unmolested struts, they are probably blown or dying (old cars right) but aside from that there are valving differences between na and turbo, I don't know what mode the adjustable suspension adjusts to without the adjuster, so it may be softer or firmer than the na side....

as long as you swap to the na spring it should work close enough, worst case is get both sides from the junker and upgrade them

Comment

Bearing fusion? Did you torque the living crap out of the bearing or something? Is that why you needed the 26mm socket? Finger tight for me

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Here is a pic of the damage:

Replacing all bearings, seals and hardware. Got a new knee assembly fro the junk yard with better spindle. Waiting on parts (hopefully tomorrow).
        For the record I have never torn into this area of my Z befrore. So it wasnt me that assembled this last.
        More of my bad luck can be seen here:
        http://forums.gcce.net/index.php?showto ... try6489031

Comment

That same thing happend to my Red Z. I just dremmeled and filed until it was back to normal. Probably a really bad idea to do that, but hell, i had no money.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

it looks like the bearing failure did gouge the spindle, but the spindle looks worn even where there is no "damage".... probably best to get another from somewhere or your bearings will go quickly even if you clean it up with a dremel and chase the threads heh

Comment

^ He did.
              trc009 wrote:
              Replacing all bearings, seals and hardware. Got a new knee assembly fro the junk yard with better spindle. [/img]
              I would check the other side as well, who ever had the rotors off the last time may have put the nut on too tight and/or didn't pack the bearings adequately.
              imagination is a virtue

Comment

craZed wrote:
                I would check the other side as well, who ever had the rotors off the last time may have put the nut on too tight and/or didn't pack the bearings adequately.
                Im going to. My A4 broke an axle this week as well. I though this was going to be an easier fix but I am having issues finding a that assembley in my area. Ill I want is the tube with spindle. I have bearings, brakes, sturt and spring already.

Comment

Working...
                X