Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Response Type BIG BRAKE kit, 13 inches for non-turbo hubs :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you mean isn't the case? The only hiccup I see is having to have the hubs trimmed, something I was hoping to avoid?

Comment

• well it is an added cost for someone who cant do it on the cheaps. i think the main issue is that trying to clearance it yourself with a grinder is not a balanced way of doing it and that is not something i would entertain, so machining is the only option i guess.

but in comparison to the mishap from powertrix, this is somewhat easily fixable. so not that it has anything to do with powertrix but it seems like everyone is still learning and thats kinda cool that give feedback. ive seen the kit in person and i would have no issue with buying it even if i had to machine my hubs.

does it also fit on the turbo hubs without grinding or are the ODs larger than your machined n/a hubs?

Comment

• Careless;331243 wrote: well it is an added cost for someone who cant do it on the cheaps. i think the main issue is that trying to clearance it yourself with a grinder is not a balanced way of doing it and that is not something i would entertain, so machining is the only option i guess.

but in comparison to the mishap from powertrix, this is somewhat easily fixable. so not that it has anything to do with powertrix but it seems like everyone is still learning and thats kinda cool that give feedback. ive seen the kit in person and i would have no issue with buying it even if i had to machine my hubs.

does it also fit on the turbo hubs without grinding or are the ODs larger than your machined n/a hubs?
        I'm using 85 Turbo hubs. It's an easy fix to machine down and have a sweet BBK. Added cost? You are spending over or close to $1,000 on a BBK, why would you care about $40-80 to machine your hubs? I get your guys point, but these are big boy toys - not for someone who rattle cans their car on budget.

Not to go offtopic but what happened with powertrix?
        Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Comment

• Well that other one Inq was pushing said theirs requires hubs machined too.. so either way, the bolt-on guys have added expense, but not nearly the expense of getting slip-on hubs

As for doing it with a grinder, I lathed mine to 143mm, if you see the edge of my hub, it it by no means even, there was a lot of irregularity, I highly doubt my hub is balanced...

However, consider that the imbalance is very close to the center of a huge rotating mass, someone can do some complex math and find out how much imbalance a few ounces could make at a radius of 2-3/4" within a rotating mass of 80lbs extending to a radius of almost 13" if they want...

I'd be very comfortable scribing a circle (rotate hub on spindle with a fixed scribe) and then grind to the line...

Comment

• 300zxturboftw;331244 wrote: I'm using 85 Turbo hubs. It's an easy fix to machine down and have a sweet BBK. Added cost? You are spending over or close to $1,000 on a BBK, why would you care about $40-80 to machine your hubs? I get your guys point, but these are big boy toys - not for someone who rattle cans their car on budget.

Not to go offtopic but what happened with powertrix?
            bolt on is bolt on and added costs are never really welcome when the term bolt on is used. it was a small oversight- just sayin that just because you're spending 1000 on brakes doesnt mean you can't save money where it doesnt have to be spent.

are you going to use the best brake fluid? because you're gonna spend 150 on castrol srf if thats the mindset you have, when you can just use ATE SuperBlu/Typ200 and it would probably do everything you need it to, and you're saving money :-)

you've been harpin the "big spender" horn for a while now, breaux. thats not my thing. i like reserving it for other things.

Comment

• 300zxturboftw;331244 wrote: ...for someone who rattle cans their car on budget.
              I will proudly rock my BBK alongside my $60 Rustoleum rattlecan job, lol

I will see how mine fit sometime next week, going to get get them this Saturday. I'm rockin my factory 86 NA hubs, and possess a grinder. Ill post results when I have them. Honestly not concerned with a couple ounces out of balance that close to the centrifugal center. Hell, losing a single wheel weight would have a vastly higher effect.

Build thread http://z31performance.com/showthread...-Paint-done-eh

Comment

• true. id probably try with a grinder myself too. im pretty handy with one. but tons of people have been posting weiiiiiiird mods lately that make no sense or are done improperly, so thats why its not something i can say that i would go out of my way to suggest for fixing this issue. kinda why i mentioned it. so no one just cuts chunks off. i think if ya loosen the hub nut it might spin easier and u can just lightly hold the ginder on the hub once you get it close to the final OD.

Comment

• It would not be exceedingly difficult to balance your own hub anyway.

If you mounted the hub to the spindle so it rotated and spun around very freely and marked several points if it keeps stopping in the same position that is the heavy spot and a tiny bit more material can be removed.

Some motorcycle workshop manuals spec this method for balancing wheels, the difference being they add the weight to the opposite side by wrapping wire around the spokes rather than taking material away.

If one is patient a lot can be done with good accuracy with files, squares and marker pens. If you really wanted to get fussy you could mount up a dial gauge and remove material where required.

The individual would have to decide if the money or the time was more valuable.
                  85 Turbo Slick Top
                  __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

• G-E;331247 wrote: Well that other one Inq was pushing said theirs requires hubs machined too.. so either way, the bolt-on guys have added expense, but not nearly the expense of getting slip-on hubs

As for doing it with a grinder, I lathed mine to 143mm, if you see the edge of my hub, it it by no means even, there was a lot of irregularity, I highly doubt my hub is balanced...

However, consider that the imbalance is very close to the center of a huge rotating mass, someone can do some complex math and find out how much imbalance a few ounces could make at a radius of 2-3/4" within a rotating mass of 80lbs extending to a radius of almost 13" if they want...

I'd be very comfortable scribing a circle (rotate hub on spindle with a fixed scribe) and then grind to the line...
                    I try NOT to appear to hijack your BBK thread.
                    Yes .. The DA WinFactory Kit requires hub grinding .. IF using Z32 calipers. See link below .. Last couple of posts for information.

http://z31performance.com/showthread...ory#post324883
                    '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
                    PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

Comment

• james wrote: If you mounted the hub to the spindle so it rotated and spun around very freely and marked several points if it keeps stopping in the same position that is the heavy spot and a tiny bit more material can be removed.

Some motorcycle workshop manuals spec this method for balancing wheels, the difference being they add the weight to the opposite side by wrapping wire around the spokes rather than taking material away.
                      Sounds fascinating from a technical standpoint, but to do this you'd have to use something much larger in diameter than the hub, or bolt something much larger and perfectly balanced to it and then attempt this

Comment

• As the distance to the rotational axis is so small, I would dare to say that a small imbalance in the hub will never be perceptible. In terms of force, 1.0g at the hub is probably .001g at the wheel rim. No cause for concern.

Comment

• stufferton;331259 wrote: I will proudly rock my BBK alongside my $60 Rustoleum rattlecan job, lol
                          Which is fine. I'm just saying if someone is coughing up over $1,000 for a BBK, $40 to lathe the hubs isn't going to break the bank. I'm not trying to play the big spender card because we are all on a budget obviously. What is "bolt on" when it comes to the Z31?

Comment

• Jason84NA2T wrote: As the distance to the rotational axis is so small, I would dare to say that a small imbalance in the hub will never be perceptible. In terms of force, 1.0g at the hub is probably .001g at the wheel rim. No cause for concern.Exactly, any reasonable eyeballing attempt should be more than adequate

300zxturboftw wrote:
                            What is "bolt on" when it comes to the Z31?
                            Anything with bolts?

Comment

• 300zxturboftw;331308 wrote: Which is fine. I'm just saying if someone is coughing up over $1,000 for a BBK, $40 to lathe the hubs isn't going to break the bank. I'm not trying to play the big spender card because we are all on a budget obviously. What is "bolt on" when it comes to the Z31?
                              Don't worry, I gotcha. I just thought it was funny for me to point out that one of the other people to have ponied up and got the BBK is rocking a rattle can paint job. Mine is by no means a show car. As far as bolt on? K&N air filter? Wheels? Uhhh...what else am I missing? lol.

Build thread http://z31performance.com/showthread...-Paint-done-eh

Comment

• The project this weekend is the machine the hubs and get the BBK/Tires all mounted. I don't guarantee anything being finished because most the machine shops around me are closed on saturdays. Although...it will be completed by next week and you will have your final yes, it fits or no, I can't believe canada let us down again.

Comment

Working...
                                X