discussion on air bags for suspension set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discussion on air bags for suspension set up

i have been really contemplating air bags for some time. i know i can hear some of you crying.

i'm just curious what you guys think. i have seen them on a lot of street machines. a lot of early mustang and 60's muscle cars.

i think it would be pretty easy to set-up.

pros and cons.

i see the following pros

1. suspension adjustability, ride height and spring rate

2. the air bags are pretty light weight.

3. slamming the car when its parked. 8)

cons:

1. weight- compressors and air tanks

2. getting it set up right.

3. maintanece (sp?)

4. cost of the parts.

i've been thinking about it for a long time. it seems like it would be easy to set up with the stock suspension. especially the rear control arms.

heres a link to a site

http://www.ridetech.com/

Comment

I think it would be a good idea. Air bags have come a ways since I had first seen them. I hear that the "spring rate" if you will on a bag is unbeatable too. I would like to see some more info on them later. Gotta do some searching.

They make systems for four link suspensions so they gotta be doing somthing right
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

It may be worth some good investigation. Ive seen/read some on other sites that makes me think it may be promising. Of course there are always the detractors that don't like the idea.

My primary focus would be cost vs function. What are you really gaining, or losing.

Go with it and see what you learn. Hey it may he a great idea for many of us to consider.
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: It may be worth some good investigation. Ive seen/read some on other sites that makes me think it may be promising. Of course there are always the detractors that don't like the idea.

My primary focus would be cost vs function. What are you really gaining, or losing.

Go with it and see what you learn. Hey it may he a great idea for many of us to consider.
          You have to figure out the size bag for your weight and then that will give you your "spring rate". On top of that you get to pick your ride height.

I think I remember reading a few years ago about how under cruize the ride is very comfortable but then when you corner the spring rate is more progressive than any coil spring out there. I think the article was in Sport compact car or somthing. It gave a whole bunch of numbers and comparisons showing why bags would be better but that was years ago and WAY out of my reach at the time.

Now, it seems very cost effictive if done correctly. Even performance wise.
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Seen air bags on a subaru wrx. didn't drive in it but heard it was very comfortable, and ultra stiff upon request. it wasn't hight adjustable tho

Comment

thanks. i'm going to do more research. i was thinking about contacting air ride to see if they can make an application fit the Z.

they say ride height is adjustable from 3-5". :shock: way more then i would ever care for. but cool none the less.

Comment

Air bags are used a lot for drag racing applications. Muscle cars put them within the springs and usually fill up the driver side bag with a lot of air to compensate for the passenger side lifting up from the tremendous amount of torque.

Some cons are that they need to be fabricated. It's never a bolt-in job. Also, the spring rate changes depending on the height. The higher the car, the higher spring rate; the lower the car, the lower the spring rate (unless you have double convoluted air springs).

Check out pro-touring.com and lateral-g.net. They're forums dedicated to muscle cars that are suspension oriented. A lot of people there have air bags installed which may help you out. Although it is a domestic oriented site, people there seem to appreciate imports as well (especially Datsuns and old school Toyotas). Take everything with a grain of salt though. Couple of members are actually sponsors for air bag suspension so they're really biased. (like how they say air bags are better than coilovers, performance wise :roll: )

Coupes > Fastbacks

Money pits:
                '71 Oldsmobile Cutlass
                '92 Fastback
                '91 Onevia

Comment

84z31 wrote: i have been really contemplating air bags for some time.
                  Same here, but I was thinking of a more quick/less expensive install:

Has anyone used these (on their Z31's factory or aftermarket springs) after doing the camber mod?

Here's another link for price and description: http://store.summitracing.com

Comment

that would be easy to install in the rear.

but i also want to install them up front.

Comment

to do that in the front you'd need to convert to a-arm type suspension to make room... and probably intrude into the engine bay almost touching the manifolds unless you can live with short-travel fore and aft shocks per side

Comment

they make these.

http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/airstrut.asp

Comment

I think if you get the spring rate right, it would be a good mod. Go for it.
                          Chuck Stong
                          300+ Parts and Performance owner
                          http://www.300-plus.com
                          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

i need to find out how much they cost. then i'll go from there. if they cost more then coilovers, there really isn't much use for them. in my opinion.

Comment

Adam88SS had airbags on his Z to help with sag/traction loss for drag racing.

Comment

Working...
                              X