few questions about camber mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• few questions about camber mod

I have a set of ST springs and I'd like to prevent the excessive negative camber. I've read about the washer method and I would honestly like to avoid having to weld to my crossmember as I do not have access to the tools nor do i really have the skills to do so.

I know that GE was planning on producing a kit that raises the differential to adjust camber and I was wondering what ever came of this?

Does anyone have/know where I could purchase a modified crossmember?

I have not seen any camber mods for the front end. Does the lowering not affect the front camber or is there some mod that I do not know about?
    Funny stories!

when i put my tokico's in the front, it lowered it about 1.5 inches and did not affect the chamber at all.
    but the back is a different story
    I hate wheel gap with a extreme passion

my build
    viewtopic.php?t=2755
    seller feedback
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10430

Comment

homestar wrote: I know that GE was planning on producing a kit that raises the differential to adjust camber and I was wondering what ever came of this?
      Not really a good idea there because it will change the pinion angle.

homestar wrote:
      I have not seen any camber mods for the front end. Does the lowering not affect the front camber or is there some mod that I do not know about?
      Front camber mods are slotting the upper mount holes, camber plates, or modification to control arm/mounting position (which also change track width). The front camber does not get excessive (toe will), but the curve does change further from ideal the more you lower the car. The strut spacers will correct your camber curve, and your toe assuming you lowered the car exactly 1" in front.

No idea on buying a pre-modded crossmember... drilling new holes is not too hard, but I have decided I'll soon offer an inexpensive template 'camber kit' through Z31parts so people will be more comfortable doing it.

Comment

what ever came of asking me about it heh

I posted a few threads and I got 4 "I'm interested", and a few who claimed it's impossible....

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: No idea on buying a pre-modded crossmember... drilling new holes is not too hard, but I have decided I'll soon offer an inexpensive template 'camber kit' through Z31parts so people will be more comfortable doing it.
          would this template camber kit get rid of the need to weld to the crossmember? I can deal with the drilling (i think) but i don't have access to a welder and something about the idea of making a custom fabrication that needs to be that precise just doesn't sit well with a beginner welder such as myself

Still taking offers on pre-modded crossmembers? Anyone who lives in the chicagoland area who wants to do it for me wins a free case of their choice of beer!
          Funny stories!

Comment

you only have to weld if you need several degrees of adjustment, for slight changes you can slot the holes safely

Comment

G-E wrote: you only have to weld if you need several degrees of adjustment, for slight changes you can slot the holes safely
              i have to strongly disagree with that statement.. the outer control arm inner bushing sleeves are not knurled like the inner control arm bushing sleeves.. if you slotted the hole you would only be relying on the torque of the bolt to prevent the bolt from sliding in the slot.

Comment

[quote]Chris86NA2T wrote:
                Originally posted by G-E
                you only have to weld if you need several degrees of adjustment, for slight changes you can slot the holes safely
                i have to strongly disagree with that statement.. the outer control arm inner bushing sleeves are not knurled like the inner control arm bushing sleeves.. if you slotted the hole you would only be relying on the torque of the bolt to prevent the bolt from sliding in the slot.
                but you would be slotting vertically and the load/stress is mostly horizontal

Comment

These suckers are your friend, Cusco pillowball uppers. I have a set here I've bought from Japan ready to go on the car.

http://www.perfectrun.com.au/real_si...uppermount.htm

Comment

[quote]Chris86NA2T wrote:
                    Originally posted by G-E
                    can you simply slot the holes and use the knurled inside sleeves without welding?
                    Funny stories!

Comment

[quote]homestar wrote: [quote=Chris86NA2T]
                      Originally posted by G-E
                      can you simply slot the holes and use the knurled inside sleeves without welding?
                      I wouldn't. People do all kinds of stuff though. Personally I don't think it's that hard to put a couple washers on there... if the alignment shop does not have a welder then mark the location of the washer with a paint pen once you are done on the alignment rack, then go to a muffler shop and have them tack it in place.

Comment

it's a non-issue at this point. I just talked to the guys at UltimateZ in streamwood, IL and I'm going to bring my crossmember to them once my eccentric bolts get here.
                        Funny stories!

Comment

after paying $60 at a nissan dealershit for a pair of eccentric bolts and cam washers to replace the ones i destroyed installing my poly bushings, i've decided that i'm not going to spend another $60 on cam washers and eccentric bolts so my question is this:

if i decide to throw adjustability to the wind and simply drill a completely separate hole beneath the current one, how precise do i have to be so that my camber is even on both sides?
                          Funny stories!

Comment

i have the template from the msa style "rip off" kit somewhere. im cleaning out my garage this weekend and if i find it you can have it.
                            Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
                            Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Comment

Matt89 wrote: i have the template from the msa style "rip off" kit somewhere. im cleaning out my garage this weekend and if i find it you can have it.
                              Heard of them but never saw the template. Could you post a pic?
                              Selling left over z31 parts from an 85.

Comment

Working...
                              X