wheel spacers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel spacers?

I went to go look at some wheels today, and was about to buy a set, but the guy at the shop told me that the offset is wrong for the z31 (it was +40), and i know that the offset falls in to place with our cars according to az-zbums wheel configuration list, but he kept telling me that i should get wheel spacers, but then went on to say that wheel spacers will cause alot of vibrations from the road though. I was already planning on buying wheel spacers later, to make the wheels look more agressive, but did not think about vibrations.

exactly how much vibrations will i get from using wheel spacers? i never drove or even rode in a car that used wheel spacers before so I would like to know more about them before I buy them. anything else I should know about them? thanks.

light aluminum spacers can be fairly well centered by eye, just tighten the lugs finger tight, rotate the wheel and tap the spacer with a screwdriver as needed.... but you will need longer studs which both cost money and take time/effort to install

Comment

You dont need longer studs,maybe new ones that arent fatigued though...Vibration is a load of crap,that will only happen if you get universal spacers.Find a set that match your stud pattern and you will be fine....It may vibrate at 300k's plus tho but i dont think u will be going that fast anytime soon.
      Straya, +61

Comment

Timbo_021 wrote: You dont need longer studs,maybe new ones that arent fatigued though.
        You're most definitly going need longer Studs if the Spacers are thick enough.
        2005 whore magnet

Comment

I used adapters instead of spacers on my old wheels. They were suprisingly very balanced and don't require longer studs. Look around on ebay for "mustang wheel adapters". You can get anywhere from 1" to 2.5"'s I believe.
          2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Signal 12 wrote: I used adapters instead of spacers on my old wheels. They were suprisingly very balanced and don't require longer studs. Look around on ebay for "mustang wheel adapters". You can get anywhere from 1" to 2.5"'s I believe.
            did you add a hub spacer or just let the lugs center the adapter on the hub?
            1988 300ZX Turbo SS
            2000 BMW 323Ci
            2003 BMW 325XiT

Comment

[quote]Dave88SS wrote:
              Originally posted by Signal 12
              I used adapters instead of spacers on my old wheels. They were suprisingly very balanced and don't require longer studs. Look around on ebay for "mustang wheel adapters". You can get anywhere from 1" to 2.5"'s I believe.
              did you add a hub spacer or just let the lugs center the adapter on the hub?
              nope, no hub spacer...not even on the front. I was very pleased with how everything worked out with them. My only complaint were (what I believe) dissimilar metals from my stock lugs to the adapter. After pulling the adapters off my stock lugs were badly rusted; so much I replaced them recently.
              2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

i looked around on ebay and i couldn't find any reasonably priced adaptors.... how much should i expect to pay for a set of 4?
                Funny stories!

Comment

homestar wrote: i looked around on ebay and i couldn't find any reasonably priced adaptors.... how much should i expect to pay for a set of 4?
                  this is the same company I ordered from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wheel-Ad ... enameZWDVW

~$130 for all four
                  2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

ouch.... for wheel spacers that's pretty expensive, maybe next month when my car actually.... ya know... drives
                    Funny stories!

Comment

wow. thanks for the link. glad to kno that its not that serious a deal to use adapters.

oh yeh i meant adapters on my orignal post :P sorri for the confusion.

Comment

Some may be mixed up here... Spacers and Adapters are two different things.

rickim24 wrote: wow. thanks for the link. glad to kno that its not that serious a deal to use adapters.

oh yeh i meant adapters on my orignal post :P sorri for the confusion.
                        I've heard good and bad, but mostly good about using adapters. I've heard lots of bad about using spacers.

Comment

With a 40 offset and considering that a 0 offset will get you right out to even with the fender without rubbing on metal (depending on the tires and sidewall bulge) I would say you need to get adapters.

http://www.wheeladapter.com/home.asp

That is one that specializes in this matter. I'm sure there are other options but you can probably expect to pay a decent amount of money for some well made adapters.
                          Just stand back and throw money.
                          Performance costs money.
                          Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Working...
                          X