Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear spring air bags (Drag Bags) info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just so you know, the ride height of the tokico springs in the rear is approximatley 9" from the top to the bottom of the spring. Yes this is while it is rested on the ground.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: Just so you know, the ride height of the tokico springs in the rear is approximatley 9" from the top to the bottom of the spring. Yes this is while it is rested on the ground.
      Thanks SATAN! I am going with the 6" x 4" (60806) bags and will post pics of the install when ever I get to it!

Comment

Yeah, I'm doing the 8"x 4" because I want as much bag contacting my spring as possible.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

thanks for the info - just ordered some - see if it helps
          "If you don't hold it....you don't own it"

Comment

I don't have drag times or anything like that but these do work. I went from squat to a lot less squat and was pulling better traction on launches with the pass bag at 30 and the driver bag at 20 psi. I need to mess with it some more, but I think it's definitely worth it if you are pulling enough power to have a problem and need a fix between now and those stiffer springs or rear susp. swap project.

I couldn't get the 6" because they are on backorder for a while. I went with 5" which as it turns out, is probably right for the ST springs. You would be optimal with 6" on the ST, but then you would have some extra work to do to make sure your air lines weren't getting hit by anything.

The kit came in with everything required, even a couple extra clamps and stuff I didn't need. The bags are very difficult to get initially into the spring, once you have them in it is fairly easy to force them around. The plumbing was cake for the lines. I was going to run through the hole in the control arm but decided it wasn't necessary and was likely to catch at some point in the halfshaft and detonate, so I went very simple and just ran the line through the spring, and around the front tracing the brake line, to holes that are on the outside control arm right near the bushing/pickup to the control arm (where all your camber correction is). You can reach this with a hose without doing anything with car lowered, it's pretty much perfect.

I test fitted them first lower in the spring, and when the car was lowered the nozzle was contacting the control arm, you would need to remove metal down there if you did bigger bags. I refitted them up higher and there is plenty of clearance. I couldn't find any problems and they were holding pressure after thrashing the crap out of the car for about an hour.

I am happy they work, I am sad that I need to contemplate a swap since this problem will never end, regardless of band aids.
            "If you don't hold it....you don't own it"

Comment

SKOLJACK wrote: :

Summit Racing Part Numbers:

AIR-60744 – 4x7 (stock height) $75.88.
              FYI i just bought the 7 inch ones for my sisters car and they are not 4 inch wide! they are 6inches wide!!!!! Crap!
              Praying....

Comment

the fact that we have IRS should make these not as applicable. no solid axle to transmit action/reaction from one side to the other. remove/loosen rear sway bar and installing solid rear mounts 99% eliminated wheel hop and achieved 1.89 60'. Thats on drag radials, st springs and bilstiens. I`m thinking they won`t have the same effect as they do on SRA cars.

now if you are trying to eliminate squat on launch, maybe they would be usefull. SPL parts explains placement of spacers above or below rear subframe mounts to increase/decrease squat. just a thought.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
                good thing....

Comment

Yes, they are to reduce rear squat, which in turn gives you more contact patch on the rear tires, due to less negative camber when launching.
                  1986 Nissan 300ZX 300zx z31 turbo: 0.000 @ 0.000 MPH

http://www.youtube.com/user/thflash2007

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CWF-Dy...37431403027542

Comment

AIR-60744 is wrong.. the correct number is AIR-60768
                    Praying....

Comment

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just installed the drag bags and the part# for the 4"X8" is 60751, I am guessing that they have updated the part#'s since this was posted back in 2008.
                      1986 Nissan 300ZX 300zx z31 turbo: 0.000 @ 0.000 MPH

http://www.youtube.com/user/thflash2007

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CWF-Dy...37431403027542

Comment

Wow, didn't realize I was reading a 2 year old thread. I was like "What the hell, where did that thread come from?"
                        Originally posted by AZ-ZBum
                        Reading your posts is like watching an idiot becoming dumber.

Comment

Working...
                        X