Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear spring air bags (Drag Bags) info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear spring air bags (Drag Bags) info...

I have been in contact with Kevin Bolle from Air Lift Company and he was able to send me some information via e-mail on a rear suspension support set up for launching (Street/Strip).

Sent 04/03/07:

"It sounds like you are looking for our Drag Bag kit. This is a red bag that goes inside your coil spring and prevents wheel hop. I attached a flyer that describes all the benefits of the coil spring bags.

Unfortunately we don’t have a kit made for the 1986 300ZX, but you could possibly get us some dimensions that would allow you to utilize another kit. It will only work if you have an open coil spring (no shock inside). I would need the inside diameter of the coil and the length of the coil at normal ride height.

If you can supply me with the dimensions above I can help you decide which kit may work on your vehicle.

Thank you for your interest!"

I sent him the dimensions of 4" ID with 8" inside stock ride height - Your measurements may differ?

Sent 04/05/07:

"It’s up to you to choose which kit you want. You will need a ¾ inch diameter hole clearance through the top or bottom spring perch for the air line. Some vehicles are equipped with a small hole (¼ inch) but if not you will have to create one. The way these bags work is by expanding outward into the coil to prevent it from collapsing; they don’t always touch the top and bottom spring perches (in fact, we usually recommend an inch gap between the bag and spring perch). Given that information, here are some basic kits you could try:

Summit Racing Part Numbers:
    AIR-60797 – 4x8 $75.88
    AIR-60744 – 4x7 (stock height) $75.88
    AIR-60806 – 4x6 (1 inch drop) $75.88
    AIR-60776 – 4x5 (2 inch drop) $75.88
    AIR-60789 – 4x4 (3 inch drop) $75.88

These are the different kits we have available. If I were to install these on the same vehicle then I put the kits I would use given if it’s stock height or with a drop. Since this is a custom application there wouldn’t be a warranty on it, but as long as the dimensions you quoted above are accurate you shouldn’t have a problem installing these.

If you installed a lowering spring then you would also need a smaller bag. You could start out with a smaller bag, say 5 or 6 inches, and then next year if you decide to lower it you don’t need to buy new bags.

Feel free to email me or give us a call if you have any questions, 1-800-248-0892."

Now personally, I feel this has to be one of the most inexpensive ways to improve/maintain maximum "tread patch" to the pavement during a hard launch (on a Z31) while running stock or aftermarket springs without effecting ride quality during normal driving conditions! You guys can chime in and let me know what you think.

HOLY CRAP MAN! After reading all of that I was expecting a kit to be somthing like 500+ dollars! 75 bucks a side is a smokin deal!

They say it cuts an AVERAGE .355 off of the et. Thats pretty good, even give or take.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I install a set of them in my tow vehicle to level the ride height when I am towing. They really do hold the car in place. The only problem I had was the installation instructions showed putting the fill line comming in from the top. If you jack up the car the bag will move down with the spring and when you let the car down it kinked the fill line and I couldn't fill it any more. Solution was to bring in the line from the bottom that way when you jack up the car the bag stays at the bottom.
      ...and how much HP do you have at 0 boost

Comment

SATAN wrote: HOLY CRAP MAN! After reading all of that I was expecting a kit to be somthing like 500+ dollars! 75 bucks a side is a smokin deal!
        Dont forget you need a compressor too.
        This should suffice: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... =AIR-25592
        Interesting; My work carries Airlift so I could get the stuff at cost.
        2005 whore magnet

Comment

[quote]SteveZ31 wrote:
          Originally posted by SATAN
          HOLY CRAP MAN! After reading all of that I was expecting a kit to be somthing like 500+ dollars! 75 bucks a side is a smokin deal!
          Dont forget you need a compressor too.
          This should suffice: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... =AIR-25592
          Interesting; My work carries Airlift so I could get the stuff at cost.
          But, you dont need a compressor! If it were just for drag racing you could rig up your air line to a schrader valve like on your car tire and just take a small tank of air with you in your pit car. Adjust as needed.

Comment

SATAN wrote: But, you dont need a compressor! If it were just for drag racing you could rig up your air line to a schrader valve like on your car tire and just take a small tank of air with you in your pit car. Adjust as needed.
            Good thinking, that didnt even cross my mind,
            Im probably going to give this a try, but I wont be able to really experiment with it for awhile as my car wont be running anytime soon. I just need to figure out what bags would work best for my suspension set up (ST springs & Bilsteins). So what do you think SATAN you going to give it a try? I can probably get them for $55 or so but my work doesnt stock any of the above part numbers so it may take a minute for them to come in.
            2005 whore magnet

Comment

I plan on trying these this Summer as well. How can I get on that $55.00 "Band Wagon"?

I'm probably going with the 60776 kit so I have room to grow (lower)!

Comment

SKOLJACK wrote: I plan on trying these this Summer as well. How can I get on that $55.00 "Band Wagon"?
                Ill see what I can do, If I do order them I can only do 3 pairs or so and I can only order them once.
                2005 whore magnet

Comment

That sounds fine.

Is there any way some of the other Z31 guys can measure the inside diameter of the rear coil and the length of the coil at normal ride height to see what the best possible option would be? And please list the type of rear coil spring being measured!

Comment

i could have measured that about 1 week ago. i had them out of the car so i could put the poly control arm bushings in .

i'll see what i can do today.

Comment

84z31 wrote: i had them out of the car
                      You have to measure the spring dimensions while the vehicle is at normal ride height (springs installed and vehicle resting on the ground)!!!

Comment

[quote]SteveZ31 wrote:
                        Originally posted by SATAN
                        But, you dont need a compressor! If it were just for drag racing you could rig up your air line to a schrader valve like on your car tire and just take a small tank of air with you in your pit car. Adjust as needed.
                        Good thinking, that didnt even cross my mind,
                        Im probably going to give this a try, but I wont be able to really experiment with it for awhile as my car wont be running anytime soon. I just need to figure out what bags would work best for my suspension set up (ST springs & Bilsteins). So what do you think SATAN you going to give it a try? I can probably get them for $55 or so but my work doesnt stock any of the above part numbers so it may take a minute for them to come in.
                        Yeah, I wanna give it a try, even though I have an LSD I still think I could benifit from this. I could air them up to the max psi they recomend to give my spring a little more rigidity. I may end up going this route instead of doing the custom springs that Jason is having made (dont kill me Jason ops: ). This way I could have track performance with out having a bone jarring ride normally.

When are you planning on ordering them? I can prolly get you money next friday.

EDIT: I just realized that it is $75 bucks for the KIT meaning (two bags)!!!! I thought it was 75 a side! Yeah I can deffinatly get you money on friday!

Comment

I can order them the monday after next (4/16) I dont deal directly with Airlift that often so im not sure but it shouldnt take more than a week or two for them to come in after I order them.

So if you want to pay next friday thats fine just let me know the part # you want to use and I can get the definite price, Skoljack same goes for you.

Everyone else who may be interested im sorry but I really cant abuse this.

Now we just need someone to measure thier Springs at a normal ride height to figure out what to go with.
                          2005 whore magnet

Comment

SteveZ31 wrote: Now we just need someone to measure thier Springs at a normal ride height to figure out what to go with.
                            Yeah, when I measured mine, the car was on 4 jack stands and I just collapsed the left rear suspension until it started to lift the car off of the stand. That is how I came up with the 8" inside spring height. But then again, this is with worn out 86 turbo springs!

I also plan on installing the air fill line the way Russ84na stated.

Steve, my money will be available on Friday the 13th, too!!!

Comment

I'll go measure mine this weekend and figure out which kit to go with. I'll keep you guys updated as to what the Tokico springs are.

Comment

Working...
                              X