No announcement yet.

We just found out that 87-89 NA wheels (15) fit TT cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DrewZee87T wrote: It is a fixed caliper. The 87+ setup with slip on rotors that I am running does not perfectly center the rotor in the caliper - but it is a small difference. There is a small space that is off which is why some people advocate putting spacers in to push the caliper out a bit and thus center the rotor more exactly. The caliper is fixed, and the rotor is fixed, so the slack is taken up by the pistons. That means that you need to just keep an eye on your brakes (which you should do anyway as normal maintenance) to make sure you don't wear the outside pad to the point where the piston wants to overextend the caliper.

I have never heard of this happening, and I figure they put enough piston in the caliper to allow for a certain amount of overextension. So far, I have had no problems.

As to how this would impact your car if you were running 15" stock wheels, if they fit without the spacers, you should be good to go. If you put spacers in, they may not fit anymore.

The bigger question is what do you do when you have a flat front tire? That one I have not figured out yet. I am pretty sure the donut (and quite positive that the NOS bottle that sits where the donut used to live) won't fit. That's the biggest worry I have with TT brakes. What happens when I have bad tire luck. Right now the answer is a can of fixaflat and pray. Otherwise its call a truck and ask them to bring a wheel or tow you home.

Think that through on your next cross country journey, it might be a good idea to have a spare.....
    carry a cell phone, and get some die hard friends.

Comment

DrewZee87T wrote: The bigger question is what do you do when you have a flat front tire? That one I have not figured out yet. I am pretty sure the donut (and quite positive that the NOS bottle that sits where the donut used to live) won't fit. That's the biggest worry I have with TT brakes. What happens when I have bad tire luck. Right now the answer is a can of fixaflat and pray. Otherwise its call a truck and ask them to bring a wheel or tow you home.
      I've never had a flat, but I've only been driving a couple years so I'm sure my days are numbered. However, I don't' see why you couldn't just put the spare donut on the rear and move one of your rear wheels to the front. If you don't think like a sped kid you don't have to worry about whether or not the donut will fit over the front calipers.
      My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
      My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
      207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

DrewZee87T wrote: Yes, a spare. Like one that you might pick off any z, etc. in a junkyard. I don't generally roll with a full sized spare bouncing around in the hatch, but for long trips it's a good idea. That's all.

expect a lawsuit for copyright infringement shortly :P

Comment

26mm z32 calipers will center perfectly on 26mm 87-88t rotors (24mm is the min thickness)
          they will not center on z32 26mm rotors but would require a 3mm spacer between the caliper and the mount, pushing the caliper out to possibly rub on the wheel
          now this is on a 87 s12 strut upright which is SUPPOSED to have the same offset as the 87 z31 turbo. so the aforementioned info might just be crap.
          fact, though, 90na rotors have 3mm less hat depth than 87t rotors. same rotor thickness at 26mm new. i dont know about the 30's

Comment

Az4u2c wrote:
            I've never had a flat, but I've only been driving a couple years so I'm sure my days are numbered. However, I don't' see why you couldn't just put the spare donut on the rear and move one of your rear wheels to the front. If you don't think like a sped kid you don't have to worry about whether or not the donut will fit over the front calipers.
            Well in all of my sped classes they taught me to thing about the worst case scenario, since that is what the sped student can expect in real life.

So the fact that the donut does not fit over the TT brakes, and the fact that you cannot put a 10.5" wheel on your front, raises the question of what to do if you have a problem. I think the best answer so far....

Carry a cell phone and have some real die-hard friends.
            "If you don't hold it....you don't own it"

Comment

[quote]DrewZee87T wrote:
              Originally posted by Az4u2c
              Well in all of my sped classes they taught me to thing about the worst case scenario, since that is what the sped student can expect in real life.

So the fact that the donut does not fit over the TT brakes, and the fact that you cannot put a 10.5" wheel on your front, raises the question of what to do if you have a problem. I think the best answer so far....

Carry a cell phone and have some real die-hard friends.
              ahh but you forget you could keep a 1" adapter in the car with the spare

Comment

Never thought of that.

sorry about the copywright violation

Keep it cool at the inlet you know

Peace
                "If you don't hold it....you don't own it"

Comment

mustang cobras have a special spare to fit the big calipers up front on them. I read (have not tried) that it will clear z32 brakes.
                  Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

Comment

If you have a front flat: Put donut on rear and move rear wheel (which clears caliper) to front. Or am i missing the point here? Sure you have to change two wheels, but you've got a flat so you're already late, who cares?
                    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Working...
                    X