Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear inner control arm mount on the subframe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear inner control arm mount on the subframe...

One of the inner control arm mounts on the rear subframe looks like it has been welded back onto the subframe. Should I scrap it and find another one? I want to make sure that the geometry is correct, etc. I will post a pic. Thanks.

maybe it was a redneck camber mod

Comment

G-E wrote: maybe it was a redneck camber mod
      Moving the inner point up actually gives better suspension geometry than moving the outer point down. Moving the outer is just easier.

Comment

I wasn't bashing, can't imagine any other reason for it, still I question why only ONE of the arms was modified, maybe they couldn't align to specs so they did surgery, but that would point to something more seriously wrong.......

Comment

Thanks for the input. I need to take a pic of it still.

Im curious as to why it was only done to one side as well.

Comment

Sorry for the delay; here are the pics. That doesn't look like camber correction to me. Would you use it?

Oh, and this damn bolt broke off in my lower intake. I had it soaking in PB Blaster for 3 days and can't seem to get it loose with vise grips; it just slips off. Any suggestions?

Comment

tighten the vise grips more , everytime i get one of those i had to tighten the vise grips so hard that it hurts my hands soo bad , get some leverage on the vise grips , heat it up ...

Comment

Try heat first.

You can try using a very small drill bit to drill down the center. Hit it with a center punch frst and do your best to drill it straight, this has worked for me.

Comment

Thanks, Ill try heat. What do you think about the x-member?

Comment

I'm having trouble telling exactly what was done. If you have another one, use it... but otherwise see where the alignment is first and then fix accordingly.

Comment

yes from the pics I can't see what was done, was the whole ear thing moved up or down?

there any other welds present like on the sides or bottom?

degrease/wirebrush it clean and take some angled shots of it... you could also measure the tab heights/position relative to the crossmember and the opposing control arm tab, the only logical reason you'd weld there is if it was damaged or rusted and it was just a repair, or the wohle thing was moved to correct some impossible alignment issue

on that note check the control arm itself for deformation too

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into it further.

Comment

Suggestion on getting that stud out....

Quit being a pussy...I've seen pictures of you. That thing looks like even *I* could get it. But yeah MAPP is your friend.
                          It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

lol, no pussy here. This thing is like welded in there. Im using a set of BIG vise grips and it just slips off. Yes, I am clamping it as tight as I can. I'll get it with heat.

Comment

MAP gas is the shazbot! :P

Comment

Working...
                              X