Brake clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake clips

Wondering if anyone might be able to solve this problem!

When I bought my Z it came with rattling rear brakes. They rattle all the time and usually more over bumps. When I apply the brakes the rattling stops and I get two loud click noise - I figured it was the brake clips that hold the pads in place. So I replaced them and the pads and the rattling is still there!?? What the hell...

Someone please tell me they have an answer to this other that replace the calipers. I have had similar issues

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

are you sure the bolts are tight.

are you missing the shims that go between the pad and the caliper?

Comment

I'll check the bolts, I'm sure I tightened them but maybe I didn't?!?!

Shims are all good, so if it's not bolts I wonder what it is???

Comment

What exactly do you mean by rattling, and are you sure it is coming from the brakes

"Beer is proof that god wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Definitely a brake problem. It's the same noise you get when pads aren't held in by clips. When I hit the brakes, I get this click/snap sound which sounds like the pads clamping onto the disc - then the rattle stops. To me it sounds and feels like loose break pads, but as I said ive replaced the clips. when parked I feel the pads through the wheel to see if they're loose, but all four pads and clips are fine...

?

Comment

Was the e-brake engaged?

"Beer is proof that god wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

if you take the caliper off completely, including the bracket..... do the pads stay where they are or do they move easily

Comment

I double check again this weekend, I was sure everything was in order and working fine. Maybe if I start over and redo it it may fix it?

Comment

There is a product called "Disc Brake Quiet" It comes in a liquid or in an aerosol and you put it on the BACK of the pads not on the brake lining...designed to take up the extra slack and cushion vibrations...your rattles and squeaks should be gone if used properly.

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
                    1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
                    1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
                    2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
                    2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

I'll be doing my pads shortly so hopefully I wont run into this same problem.

1985' 2+2 Z31 Non Turbo...
                      1986' 2+2 Z31 Turbo...

Comment

Figured it out

I've finally figured it out. I had another look at the pads and found that they were about 2mm short, and therefore didn't fit tight enough. I took them in to the brake place and they replaced them for free!

Mechanics giving things away for free you ask?

Well hows this for a small world. The previous owner had taken the car to the same brakes place, and the pads had a warranty - so they replaced them for free!!!

Comment

Re: Figured it out

MrSifter wrote: Mechanics giving things away for free you ask?

Well hows this for a small world. The previous owner had taken the car to the same brakes place, and the pads had a warranty - so they replaced them for free!!!
                          funny you say that. I had a DOA master cylinder from Victoria British (or whatever they call themselves now) and they shipped me a new one to try no questioned asked. I was surprised.
                          My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                          My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                          207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Working...
                          X