Ok.. maybe it's me but my Z is driving me nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok.. maybe it's me but my Z is driving me nuts

So I just payed 1300 for new tires and wheels. Same as what Nivo and Shiro Steve have..

Threads here http://www.88hybrid.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3501

and here http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1865

So these wheels look awesome no doubt but i've had this car aligned literally 3 times within about 10,000 miles probably not even to be honest.
    I spent 100 on a front and rear end alignment and i'm getting a biiig pull to the right when I let off the wheel at anything over 35-40mph. Is there something that could be causing this to get thrown off so bad? I also noticed I have a good amount of 'negative camber' in the rear, almost as if the tires are not even completely making contact with the pavement.. they are 275/40/18's Same specs Nivo went with in the above thread.

I thought I was hydroplaning as it's wet out today but even just driving down the road on a straight road I was getting a big pull. What is wrong here? Do I need to go yell at the guy who did the alignment?

The more time I invest in these issues and money the more I want to sell my Z.

I know that when a mechanic does an alignment they are supposed to check all of the tire's pressure and that they are in good condition and all suspension components like tie rods, ball joints and bushings. Low pressure can cause a pull, a conical tire can also cause this. A brake dragging could also cause this. Have you checked all of you bushings? Including the rack bushings?

If the mechanic didnt check these things you should complain. I couldnt see paying over $60 for a complete 4 wheel alignment also.

Do you have any pics of this really negative cambered wheel?
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

I've had most if not all of those main important suspension pieces replaced. I'm thinking maybe the brake dragging could be doing this.. I think one the rear calipers was frozen but not 'effecting anything' last mechanic i spoke with working on major components. The pull is really bad, to the point where i'm not shaking but having alot of trouble at 40+ mph trying to keep the car straight. I've had various polyurthane done by the previous owner and sway bar end links myself. I felt like 100 was a good price, he also mounted the tires for me.

Comment

If a brake is dragging that much, it will be obvious on the pad and rotor. You might have a wheel bearing problem. Also, switch back to stock wheels and see if it goes away.
        Chuck Stong
        300+ Parts and Performance owner
        http://www.300-plus.com
        2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Firehawk wrote: If a brake is dragging that much, it will be obvious on the pad and rotor. You might have a wheel bearing problem. Also, switch back to stock wheels and see if it goes away.
          Instead of switching all of the wheels out, try to cross rotate the wheels side to side(if they are non directional). If they are directional do what Firehawk suggests.

If you are literally fighting to keep the car straight, I doubt the brakes would cause this without some type of smell (burning pads) and tons of hotspots in the rotor.
          Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
          Originally posted by BoostedMamma
          Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

Sometimes the techs are lazy and don't align the steering wheel.

Comment

I'm not noticing any odor or smell. With stock wheels the alignment was done at one point.. had a very bad shake on the highway.. found out a rear tire was literally missing a piece of the tire. So I repaced them both, the car was still not aligned considering I was going to have these tires put on.. I felt as though something was up as soon as I pulled out with the new tires on. I'm running on falken 452's, they are directional. I don't have the tools to re-mount the stock tires. I have mechanics do everything for me to make sure everything is done correctly yet i'm still suffering with this constant issue.

Comment

Also thought i'd note this.. at one point I had taken the car on the highway and it was shaking very badly (assuming the old tires caused this as I had different treads on both rear tires) So I drove about 2 hours to and from a college and i'd think this would be pretty bad for my suspension.. is there anything not visual this could have damaged a mechanic could miss? I'm really stumped here after all the money i've invested in this car (close to 8 grand now) I still deal with a pretty serious problem I'd think.

Comment

The car just started acting this way? Have you checked the tie-rods to see if perhaps one has come loose? I guess the first thing would be to go back to the alignment shop and make a complaint. Have them print out the specs of the car, even if they refuse to change anything.

If the pull gets better/worse when you apply brakes that should tell you something...

Running directional tires backwards long enough to do a quick test shouldn't hurt them. If the pull changes or switches sides then you have your answer.
                  My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                  My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                  207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Cars will pull to the side that has the most positive camber, the most negative caster, and the most toe out.

Looking at an alignment printout will help pinpoint which corner is at fault.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                    1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

Thanks for the reply's. I'm going to take the car back to the guy who did it and he said he's going to drive it and make sure everything is straight this time around. I'll ask him for a printout of the specs like suggested.

Comment

check your lug nuts. Be sure to put them on in a star shape and that they are tight. This isn't likely the problem, but I've seen smaller things cause issues.
                        2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Make sure they check the ball joints.
                          Chuck Stong
                          300+ Parts and Performance owner
                          http://www.300-plus.com
                          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

I also printed the specs off the FSM and i'm going to give them to him. I really don't think anything is actually broken or needing to be replaced as i've already replaced all this stuff and had it looked it by mechanics over and over previously within the past year.

Comment

If you go back to the shop and get an alignment done, get a copy of the specs and post them. That way we can see what you're alignment looks like.

There are way too many variables that can cause a pull...you said you replaced the rear tires, but if the front tires are worn due to the bad alignment, you may have a treadwear pull.

Comment

Working...
                              X