No announcement yet.

anyone with a roll bar/cage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nismo kid wrote: so the one from http://www.swracecars.com you have to cut right? i'm shoppin around cause i dnt have the money for the one from msa :?
    Well, yes and no. I mean, the way it fits in the car is personal preference. They just throw some pieces on the bender and bend them to the specs they have. One leg might be longer or you might want to run some pieces differently than they had planned. For example, my main hoop had to be raised on one side and cut shorter on the other. They give you two bars to run to the back of the car but instead I ran mine to the shock/spring towers because this is where I wanted the wheight to shift to first. Stuff like that. They also supply the 6"x6" plates, but they are just a square plate that you need to shape to your application throughout the car.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

so all in all it is a good kit for the price? and hows the shipping? sorry for all the dumb questions :? .
      Originally posted by Racinjitter
      :lol: Those of us who say A/C FTW all have a g/f or wife. ac+women=more quiet=possibility of sex. -
      ac+women=SUPER BITCHING=no sex.

Comment

Think of it as a custom cage that is half done.
        All the materials are there. All the bends are done. It was exactly what I was looking for. I believe shipping was around $100.
        sigpic

Comment

Yes, good cage for the price. Not chromoly though, not for that price.

I think shipping cost me 100 also. It came just kinda banded together pieces exposed. Not like they can get hurt or anything.

Comment

well thanx satan & butter, and whom ever else posted for helpin me out :lol:.
            Originally posted by Racinjitter
            :lol: Those of us who say A/C FTW all have a g/f or wife. ac+women=more quiet=possibility of sex. -
            ac+women=SUPER BITCHING=no sex.

Comment

perhaps you guys missunderstood.... i know where to buy stuff and how to make one....

what i want is recommendations on what sucks about your cage? would you have put mounting points in diffrent places ran bars diffrently? painted it blue instead of red... lol

like my example is the last one i had in my car the legs were too far forward and inward on the floor behind seat and i couldnt recline seat all the way. also it rubbed on plastic sides and made a squeeking noise lol. anything you dont like about yours and would do diffrently?

materials only cost me $75 delivered as i work at a fab shop. that is 2.25 pipe 5/16 wall. way over doing it.

Comment

Atlantaz wrote: perhaps you guys missunderstood.... i know where to buy stuff and how to make one....

what i want is recommendations on what sucks about your cage? would you have put mounting points in diffrent places ran bars diffrently? painted it blue instead of red... lol

like my example is the last one i had in my car the legs were too far forward and inward on the floor behind seat and i couldnt recline seat all the way. also it rubbed on plastic sides and made a squeeking noise lol. anything you dont like about yours and would do diffrently?

materials only cost me $75 delivered as i work at a fab shop. that is 2.25 pipe 5/16 wall. way over doing it.
                I posted after this on z31.com but forgot to add in the part about how my side bars hit my arm rests on the doors. I personaly like it because it makes my doors shut REALLY solid but it is deffinatly not good for the arm rests. If one were to move them in or bend around the arm rests slightly. It wouldnt take much.

Also. If comfort is your concern "i couldnt recline seat all the way." Why are you even bothering with a cage/bar??? I cant recline my seat at all, but that isnt what I was aiming for when I installed a roll cage LOL. :lol:

Comment

he wants that "gangsta lean" :lol: J/k

i am planning on buying the s&w kit , and modifying it to my needs . its just a great start to build a cage to your needs ....

Comment

lol..

no like you i wasnt able to recline my seat at all it was full spright i needed just a little recline like 3/4 abd inch back woulda been perfect. also good pointers on the armrests i had simular issues before and also had issues installing the interior panals.

all good points satan that is a simular response to what i was looking for.
                    i am only doing a half cage like 6 point maybe even 4. the roll bar in center will be enough for anything i would be concerend with. then 2 in the reat and mayb 2 beside the seats going towards the front of the car.

i also have plates like you recommended 5/16 steel 3x4 to weld pipes too then bolt/weld plates in where applicable and weld or whatever havent decided yet.

i do know i want a bar acroos the middle for nitrous bottle and my harnesses to mount too.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                      Originally posted by Atlantaz
                      perhaps you guys missunderstood.... i know where to buy stuff and how to make one....

I posted after this on z31.com but forgot to add in the part about how my side bars hit my arm rests on the doors. I personaly like it because it makes my doors shut REALLY solid but it is deffinatly not good for the arm rests. If one were to move them in or bend around the arm rests slightly. It wouldnt take much.

Also. If comfort is your concern "i couldnt recline seat all the way." Why are you even bothering with a cage/bar??? I cant recline my seat at all, but that isnt what I was aiming for when I installed a roll cage LOL. :lol:
                      RECLINE?!!!

I actually like how the armrests hit the doors. Since I have shaved door handles, I don't even need door poppers now.
                      sigpic

Comment

Atlantaz wrote: lol..

no like you i wasnt able to recline my seat at all it was full spright i needed just a little recline like 3/4 abd inch back woulda been perfect. also good pointers on the armrests i had simular issues before and also had issues installing the interior panals.

all good points satan that is a simular response to what i was looking for.
                        i am only doing a half cage like 6 point maybe even 4. the roll bar in center will be enough for anything i would be concerend with. then 2 in the reat and mayb 2 beside the seats going towards the front of the car.

i also have plates like you recommended 5/16 steel 3x4 to weld pipes too then bolt/weld plates in where applicable and weld or whatever havent decided yet.

i do know i want a bar acroos the middle for nitrous bottle and my harnesses to mount too.
                        5/16" thick steel is too thick for the unibody of the car. Well I shouldnt say its too thick but it is just unnecissary. Its like butter and his 1/4 plate steel for his shock towers even though the steel on the car he welded to is only like .063" thick LOL :P

But no seriously, S&W gives you 1/8" thick plates this way you can bend and shape them to conture to your car. I had to do this just about everywhere that I welded a bar too, because I couldnt find a flat 6"x6" part to weld to. SO, it required bending and shaping of the plate. If it were thicker than .125" I would have had one hell of a time shaping.

But like Butter said about the door bars, I LOVE IT. now when I shut my door, it shuts solid as hell! I personally dont care if it hits the arm rest.

Comment

Its like butter and his 1/4 plate steel for his shock towers even though the steel on the car he welded to is only like .063" thick LOL
                          They are that size because I needed a pipe diameter big enough to fit the coils inside, yet still fit on the top of the strut tower. The only pipe that size only comes in that wall thickness. Also, knew I would be welding the cage into the sides of it, and didn't want it to crush like a can when subjected to structural forces.
                          sigpic

Comment

Butter wrote:
                            Its like butter and his 1/4 plate steel for his shock towers even though the steel on the car he welded to is only like .063" thick LOL
                            They are that size because I needed a pipe diameter big enough to fit the coils inside, yet still fit on the top of the strut tower. The only pipe that size only comes in that wall thickness. Also, knew I would be welding the cage into the sides of it, and didn't want it to crush like a can when subjected to structural forces.
                            Ahhhh, I see sir! It appears as though your FORESIGHT is 20/20!

Comment

Working...
                            X