power steering removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering removal

So after having my Z at 3 track days in two weekends the only issue my beast had was that the power steering fluid boiled over & oozed out of the resevoir. (made quite the mess) Not bad considering it was 105+ degrees all 3 days and other cars either left by lunch time or only ran 2/3s of each session due to either high water temps. or high oil temps.

I am thinking of removing the power steering pump & lines. I would then fill the rack with fresh fluid and seal it. That would give me more room in the engine bay, (cheap weight reduction) reduce drag on the engine, eliminate the boiling over/oozing mess in the engine bay.

I used to own a 240z with quick steering knuckles & 255/15 tires. At slow speeds it was like steering a truck, but when moving it wasn't bad at all. I'm guessing my Z31 should feel the same with the power steering removed.

What do you guys think???? Would there be any down side to doing this? Besides getting a work out when driving/racing my Z. I'm in good shape. I can handle that.
    378whp 445wtq
    http://mark86t.zmobiledetailing.com/.../v/Black+Hole/

Z Mobile Detailing, Las Vegas, NV

Remove the belt and go for a drive to see for yourself.
    I am without PS right now, but I find it alot easier to
    make sharp tight turns with it.

Maybe you could just put an oil cooler on the return line,
    or try a different fluid.
    imagination is a virtue

Comment

craZed wrote: Remove the belt and go for a drive to see for yourself.
      I am without PS right now, but I find it alot easier to
      make sharp tight turns with it.

Maybe you could just put an oil cooler on the return line,
      or try a different fluid.
      I planned on removing the belt just for a test run without the assist.

I don't want to add another cooler to the car at this point. Running out of room. Custom radiator is twice as thick as stock & took up more room, oil cooler & remote filter set up took more room too not to mention the I/C install.

Just wanted to make sure I could fill & seal the rack with fluid without damaging it. It too is new and I don't want to ruin it.
      378whp 445wtq

Comment

You could just remove the belt before a track event.
        Or look into some high temp fluids.
        imagination is a virtue

Comment

personally I don't think merely sealing the system would prevent boiling... all you'd do is put pressure on the seals and it might go pop.... a little mess is less expensive than a rebuilt rack you would definately need high temp fluid

I would recommend a cooler as well, remember that it doesn't have to be in huge direct airflow all you need is a crack somewhere or a scoop under the car, anything to create a pressure differential

the other thing you could investigate is underdriving it so the pressure never gets so high.... on that note there was something about the non-turbos and the pressure switch that would somehow reduce the line pressure but I never got into it, so where the turbo would run up to 450psi or so, the na would hit 350 and drop down a bit

Comment

you can buy inline coolers for powersteering pumps that don't take up any additional room.

also, you would not want to fill the rack up with fluid if you were going to remove the pump...that would make it hella difficult to steer, you would need to drain all the fluid and then seal the system...actually you don't even need to seal it...it'd be fine to open air. Ive done it on several cars
            used to have one of the first high horsepower NA to turbo cam'd 7000rpm pavement pounding z31's....now in process of building an LQ9 LS1 6.0L Z31 with all the goodies

Comment

Well I have an underdrive (crank) pulley already (though not for the power steering pump). That may be one reason why the power steering pump is working so hard.

The rack should be ok without the pump assisting it as many cars don't have assist. Good point about NOT filling the rack & sealing it. That could make the seals blow out.
              378whp 445wtq

Comment

dam, no power steering would suck...But I think mine doesn't work that well anyways

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

WaZZ300 wrote: dam, no power steering would suck...But I think mine doesn't work that well anyways
                  It's no big deal as my Z ain't my daily driver. It only comes out for fun.
                  378whp 445wtq

Comment

My understanding of power racks is they are designed to have the pump operating and will not only be harder to turn than a manual rack, but will eventually fail if used without a working pump. I've heard this a few times, but I don't know if it's fact.

I drove mine for about half of a summer without power steering. In parking lots it ROYALLY sucked. People look at you like you don't know how to drive.

It sure would be nice to find a manual rack that could be retrofit.

I vote for the inline cooler. Those are pretty cheap and I hear they work very well.

Comment

Could also use an MR2 (2nd and 3rd gen) electric power steering pump. Take off the direct pull on crank, since location is limitless you can free up some room around the engine by sticking it some crevice somewhere or even run it in the back, which in turn with the longer lines might allow the fluid to cool down a bit more without using a cooler.

They can be picked up at salvage yards for pretty decent prices.

Comment

MachZ wrote: Could also use an MR2 (2nd and 3rd gen) electric power steering pump. Take off the direct pull on crank, since location is limitless you can free up some room around the engine by sticking it some crevice somewhere or even run it in the back, which in turn with the longer lines might allow the fluid to cool down a bit more without using a cooler.

They can be picked up at salvage yards for pretty decent prices.
                        http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.c ... mp&dp=true ?

hmmm sounds really interesting I really wouldnt mind retaining PS if I could do something like that

Any Ideas on a resivoir? (is one needed???)

Anything else?
                        2005 whore magnet

Comment

MachZ wrote: Could also use an MR2 (2nd and 3rd gen) electric power steering pump.
                          That is a very good idea. I could only really forsee a problem if the pump flow rate is not sufficient for a rack the size of the Z's; there are many characteristics they build PS pumps for when selecting a certain type of rack for use in a car.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ok ok. I'll stop being lazy & get a cooler. Too much plumbing in my car. I want to get alcohol injection & also make a misting set up for my I/C. All to insure my beast stays cool. So it's all worth it!
                            378whp 445wtq

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                              Originally posted by MachZ
                              Could also use an MR2 (2nd and 3rd gen) electric power steering pump.
                              That is a very good idea. I could only really forsee a problem if the pump flow rate is not sufficient for a rack the size of the Z's; there are many characteristics they build PS pumps for when selecting a certain type of rack for use in a car.
                              John Dixon (guy doing the VH45DE/TTZ tranny plate on HybridZ) put one on his Z32 and said it works great.

Of the two, I'd probably get the 2nd gen pump as the MR2 Spyder only weighs 2,200 lbs. I have one and its a blast. You can definitely tell how light and nimble it is. :lol:

SteveZ31 wrote:
                              Originally posted by MachZ
                              Any Ideas on a resivoir? (is one needed???)
                              The setup should pretty much be identical to a normal pump setup, minus that its not ran directly off the engine. Reservoir would be there and everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X