TSS Springs: Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSS Springs: Review

As Dan said I'm currently the only one who has the full set of his new springs. We had rain Yesterday but I managed to get the car out today. And I'm extremely happy, the cars stiffness is comparable to a friends 240 which has coilovers rated at 400lbs. The car hooks up far better to, and the slumping of the rear end has also been eliminated. There's also no need to crawl over speed bumps and 2k either cause the spring specs are:

front springs.
    Specs:
    1/2" lowered stance, 300lbs./in. spring rate

Rear Springs.
    Specs:
    std. '88SS ride height, 324lbs./in spring rate

My car also has Illuminas and a Master Urethane Kit for MSA.

Anyone whos looking into doing their supension should definately contact Dan about these things.
    1988 300zx Turbo, Shiro Edition #21

Awesome to hear. If the damping is matched, these should be the best performing drop-in springs on the market.

Comment

question then becomes, what can damp it effectively?

tokico illuminas, koni rallisports, kyb agx, bilstein ?

Comment

G-E wrote: question then becomes, what can damp it effectively?

tokico illuminas, koni rallisports, kyb agx, bilstein ?
        Bilsteins for sure. Illuminas most likly, Koni probably, and KYB... sort of.

I had a set of KYB "performance" shocks with the 400lb/in springs in my old n/a and they worked... just not as well as I had hoped.
        An actual performance shock like the Bilsteins and Illuminas shouldn't have much trouble.

I plan to try a set of these springs out and use the Bilsteins with them. Should be alot of fun!

Comment

i wish he made some that dropped the car a little bit, nothing too crazy
          Stocker 87 na z31 and a slightly modded 90 240sx

Comment

WhiteZ31 wrote: i wish he made some that dropped the car a little bit, nothing too crazy
            Well, the fronts lower 1/2" and the rears would probably lower about that much if you removed the spring isolators.

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
              Originally posted by WhiteZ31
              i wish he made some that dropped the car a little bit, nothing too crazy
              Well, the fronts lower 1/2" and the rears would probably lower about that much if you removed the spring isolators.
              with gary's upper spring seats you have the option of carving off some height if you really want, or you can use some old worn upper rubber ones that are squished flat

Comment

very true and sorry i didnt pay attention to the 1/2 inch drop...
                Stocker 87 na z31 and a slightly modded 90 240sx

Comment

WhiteZ31 wrote: i wish he made some that dropped the car a little bit, nothing too crazy
                  Agreed. I'm sure things springs in a lowered set would attract more people.

Comment

Honestly, At first thought, or first glance..lowered springs do attract peoples attention.
                    *However, Over the years, people tend to be disappointed with the negative effects they bring with rear camber/tire wear.
                    **Fact remains, that the reasoning why there is so many people running the lowering springs is because of the price they sell for. The second most popular spring types that are always asked about from me are the '88SS springs. Due to difficulties in finding them and thier price, there is less quantity of people with them.

-90% of those we sell lowering springs to wish there was a way around the issues with the camber. Merely drilling an new hole in the outer control arm mounting point helps, but is hit-n-miss. Finding a local(provided the z31 owner doesn't have the ability to fab the adj. rear camber mod) is a very difficult/expensive thing to do.

I can't wait for some photos of these new springs installed....Everyone acts like they are going to leave a 4" gap between the tire and fender lip in the rear....this just isn't the case.
                    IMHO, The '88SS specs for load/ride hieght are reasonable....this is what they are based off from.
                    ~All these things factored into the design of these springs....and it seems that the majority of peole are excited about them, with the exception of a few here and there.
                    ***I have yet to see someone here ask what others are asking in regards to wishing they were lower than the SS specs for the rear, that has already used and dealt with ST Springs, or Eibachs, Or other currently avail lowering springs. Once you go down this road...you kinda learn that the troubles they create, and the ride height they offer isn't as ideal as most would like for the rear of the z31.
                    [/b]
                    I am here to help...

Comment

Dan-TSS wrote: I can't wait for some photos of these new springs installed....
                      Same here.. It would also be nice to see side pics of stock 88SS so i can compaire.

I need new springs. I have now custom made, but they are way too soft. Intrax springs are only that they are selling in here.
                      Jukka Kivinen - Europe / Finland - '88 Turbo 2+2 Targa
                      Datsun Nissan Sports Cars of Finland
                      http://www.z31turbo.com / http://www.z31na.com

Comment

G-E wrote:
                        with gary's upper spring seats you have the option of carving off some height if you really want, or you can use some old worn upper rubber ones that are squished flat
                        That's what I did. Used Gary's poly spring seats. Drove it to let the suspension settle. It sat up too high (for my liking) so I removed them & shaved them down. Installed & drove again. Took 3 times until I got the ride height I liked & that's what you see on my car now. Gary makes some awesome stuff.
                        378whp 445wtq
                        http://mark86t.zmobiledetailing.com/.../v/Black+Hole/

Z Mobile Detailing, Las Vegas, NV

Comment

If you don't like the height, the "bolt and bake' method works very well and won't effect the rates.
                          sigpic

Comment

Butter wrote: If you don't like the height, the "bolt and bake' method works very well and won't effect the rates.
                            I guess I'm a n00b. Care to elaborate on the "bolt and bake" method?
                            Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                            tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                            545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

[quote]FlawleZ wrote:
                              Originally posted by Butter
                              If you don't like the height, the "bolt and bake' method works very well and won't effect the rates.
                              I guess I'm a n00b. Care to elaborate on the "bolt and bake" method?
                              The short: You clamp the springs down and put them in an oven.

Unfortunately this is detrimental to the heat-treating already done at the factory to protect the spring's longevity. So if they werent the best to begin with, over time they may sag or even crack.

Comment

Working...
                              X