Plus Size Wheels Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plus Size Wheels Tires

Wow, I've been (re)searching a lot for my next 1987 Turbo Z31 upgrade.... new, plus 1 or 2 sized wheels and tires. One thing I have learned is that I know little about this subject area. So I've been studying Azz Bum's "Wheel and Tire Limits" page as well as the "Wheelshow" page and now need further guidance from those in the know.

*And for quick reference, my wheels are stock: 16x7; 225/50; 5x114.3; 30mm offset

So it seems that picking the right rim is the first hurdle... once that is accomplished then choosing a tire follows suit. Well, here are the wheels I *think* I want to get (if you want to know why I settled on these that's another post):
    1) Gram Lights 57S
    2) Work Emotion CR
    2) Volk CE28 (if money was no option)

Here are the specs/options for these wheels:
    1) 57S: 17x7.5 with 30mm offset; 18x8.5 with 30mm offset
    2) Emotion: 17x8 with 25 or 32 offset; 18x7.5 with 35mm offset; 18.x8.5 with 30 or 37mm offset
    3) CE28: virtually every size and offset you could possibly want (but too expensive to really consider)

It seems that any of the above *should* work provided they clear my Z32 brakes, etc. But running any of these plus size wheels means my tire is going to be 235 or 245. I peeked under the wheel well and found that there is only a knuckle's distance between the inside of the front tire and the strut tube (stock suspension)...and my knuckle is approx. 1/2" thick. So basically I can't see how a 235 or 245 tire can fit in my wheel well even if the rim is at a 30mm offset. But all the wheels/tires I mentioned fall within the range prescribed in the "Wheel and Tire Limits" page... and the side notes on the page say the numbers in the chart are "conservative."

I don't get it...

I have 18x9 +24 265/35
    Fit perfect, no issues.

87 turbo
    imagination is a virtue

Comment

18x9 +24 w/275's on the rear of mine with zero probs
      2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Thanks for the input!

First, Azz Bum, you recommend a wider wheel than any of the ones I was considering. So I'll throw out the 7.5" wide options. But is it safe to say that a 9.5" wide wheel just won't fit up front (and this is confirmed by your "Wheel and Tire Limits" page)? So that leaves 8", 8.5", and 9"

Second, Azz Bum, you said to check that calculator but said to look for "all negative numbers" as far as the inboard/outboard increase. Wouldn't this only happen for a wheel that is less than 7" wide? Did you mean look for negatives for the inboard increase (so that it won't get any closer to the strut)?

Third, Mark 86T, your 1" adapters are approx. 25mm. So I'm guessing that with Z32-type wheels that puts you into the mid teens as far as offset. PS- Thanks for the advice @ the West Coast Nationals (I was the guy from Florida who flew in for the show)

Fourth, everyone, do you know of a good/comprehensive site that lists tire sizes and the the wheel they were tested for. For example, a 245/40/18 can fit a wheel between 8.0 and 9.5" but is best on 8.5" The only way I've been able to figure this out is by visiting manufacturer sites but some manufacturers don't make every
        size wheel.

Comment

Jaysun wrote: Thanks for the input!
          Mark 86T Thanks for the advice @ the West Coast Nationals (I was the guy from Florida who flew in for the show)
          Hey glad to see you here on this board. I hope you car is coming along for you.
          378whp 445wtq
          http://mark86t.zmobiledetailing.com/.../v/Black+Hole/

Z Mobile Detailing, Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Tirerack.com has MOST of the tires listed in this manner. Keep in mind that all tires are NOT created equally and even the same size tire in different styles from the same manufacturer can change.
            I just checked, apparently 255/45/16 doesn't exist, 245 however has tons of hits

Comment

Z32s had 16" wheels with their TT brakes. No issues for them so you swill have no worries. I have TT front brakes on mine as well.
              378whp 445wtq

Comment

That's why I love my wheel adapters so much! lol
                378whp 445wtq

Comment

Voilà!

I should update you guys....

The wheels have arrived and are on the car...check it out!

Wheels: Work Emotion 18x8.5, 20mm offset, bronze
                  Tires: BF Goodrich g-Force, 245/35/18

Comment

looks awesome! ,tho it looks a little battleship from that angle , nothing a 1 inch adapter can't take care of.

its great to see people thinking outside of the ordinary when i comes to wheels on z31's(atleast over here in the US) , all i see is the same type of wheels ,only a few have really went out and got different/expensive wheels . me personally i plan on running volks or something expensive (most likely just an off-the-shelf offset made for a z32.z33 or 240sx, i don't care if i have to use use adapters as long as the wheels meet my width criteria)) , that won't be for a while tho since looks is last on my list of priorities for the car.

Comment

Those are some good looking shoes. I like it...I like it a lot... 8)

That angle could be a bit deceiving but, adding a bit of a spacer to pull them out a bit may look very nice. I am a fan of the slightly wider rear stance but then again I was an 80s teenager so take that for what its worth. Either way I would make sure those wheels and tires are out dang close to the fender as much as possible without rubbing.

Great choice, that looks very nice.
                      Just stand back and throw money.
                      Performance costs money.
                      Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

I'm not really a fan of that color wheels or multi-spoke wheels. But those look damn nice on your car. It helps that your car looks so good too.
                        378whp 445wtq

Comment

Someone ban this Retard

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I 2nd that!
                            378whp 445wtq

Comment

Those wheels look awesome on your car! I noticed that your caps are showing up front... Do the center caps on your work emotion wheels not fit? I would hate to pay as much as you did and then have those dang caps showing.
                              Do you have any more pictures?
                              "produce first.talk second."

Comment

Working...
                              X