2016 Big Brake Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Big Brake Options

Seeing that the sticky has lost pics and links and has not been updated for a while, can we do an update? I'll need some serious brakes for the race car project, say 6 pot calipers front and 4 pots for the rear using '88T hubs etc.Anything like that currently available?

pretty much anything for the 32 chassis can be adapted. ctsv, evo, etc etc. probably not going to find a lot of info on the actual swap here these days.
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

Comment

Have to ask somewhere What would be gold is info on later model Z kits that with reasonable mods will fit. Have googled Z31 brake kits but have not found anything suitable eg Arizona Z, Ceika, rt.trackpro and so on. Will go right through the sticky, there may be info in there on what can be adapted.

Comment

I saw something the other day on one of the Facebook groups where they put 350Z Track rotors on the Z31. IIRC they machined down the hub a bit, but that was all. They were using it with Z32 calipers. I would think that those rotors would be closer to what you need to mount some 6 pot calipers. NISMO here sells the 1" R32 master cylinder, it is part # 46010-05U00

Comment

Originally posted by Reds89 View Post
          I saw something the other day on one of the Facebook groups where they put 350Z Track rotors on the Z31. IIRC they machined down the hub a bit, but that was all. They were using it with Z32 calipers.
          That was based off of a write-up that James originally posted on here & the NZ forums. https://z31performance.com/forum/z31...urbo-or-any-na

Regarding the OP:

You can also follow Alex's old route with Evo/STi/G35 Brembo calipers (pics no longer work, but all the info is there): https://z31performance.com/forum/z31...and-kouki-hubs

Or look into another popular option using CTS-V 6pot calipers up front and SRT8 4pot calipers in the rear matched with 14" 370Z rotors. You'll have to do some research on this to make custom brackets, but the info is out there.

Picking up a set of Kouki turbo hubs or machining the early hubs is the key that opens up a lot of brake options. From there, your options are limitless. And don't forget to upgrade to a bigger/better master cylinder to match.
          Last edited by Pace; 11-30-2016, 11:56 AM.
          '86 300ZXT GLL
          '78 Datsun 280Z BP
          '11 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD

Comment

Thanks fellas, am working my way through the sticky but the present thought is to look at what's available for the Z32 on the basis that they could be adapted to the Z31. Taking that a step further, there are some great deals around on 350Z kits, from memory the 350Z rotors still have the same ID and PCD?
            Last edited by 260DET; 11-30-2016, 08:21 PM.

Comment

rt.trackpro is still active, greg or something on FB

Comment

What I have not mentioned is that matching front and back upgrades are needed, around 330mm/13" two piece rotors for both. There are kits for later model Z's like that, six pots on the front and four's on the back would be nice but are getting up there in price. That would not be overkill for a track car, with the right pads it's amazing how braking distances can be reduced, being passed while you are braking for a corner is something you remember.

EDIT: Tried a S14 StopTech kit on the front and it fits, to make it perfect all it needed was 3-4mm thick spacers/washers between the mounting lugs and the caliper adapter brackets to space the caliper out. Anyone got any solid info on fitting S chassis rear brake kits? Because Arizona Z has a S chassis rear brake kit with four pot Wilwood calipers, 305 x 21mm rotors, that would match the six pot Wilwood 330 x 32mm Z31 front kit he offers. US$2095.00 for the lot, best bang for buck serious all round kit by far.

Last edited by 260DET; 12-02-2016, 01:19 AM.

Comment

It's an annoying fact that the trend towards larger diameter wheels means that the widest choice of race tyres is also in the larger diameters so I'm going with 18", probably Enkei RPF1's which come in widths up to 10.5". What has this to do with brakes you ask? What it means is that bigger brakes will fit and incidentally look better but it's really balancing the extra (unsprung) weight against the improved braking which is most important. So I've decided to go with bigger brakes than Arizona Z offer which leaves only the dreaded Ceika as a virtually off the shelf source.

I've come across the complaining Corvette and SAAB Ceika customers, realistically it appears that both were acting unreasonably so they are not taken seriously. What would be interesting is feedback from Ceika users as to the actual performance of their brakes. Anyone?

Comment

I'll be watching this thread mate because I have the same challenge - I am very attached to my 16" RS-8 Wantabe wheels and they look mint on the Z31. Plus only coming in at around 7.5kg per wheel if I remember correctly with the mag center and aluminum rim. I can tuck Z32 brakes behind them but only with spacers and longer studs.

I've been scraping gumtree lately and my choice will likely be 17" TE37s and run the willwood big brake kit Arizona Z car sells. I'll be interested to see what you decide to go with.
                    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Arizona Z's are a good option although he does not have a dedicated rear brake setup. As I said, the S chassis rears he offers should be compatible if they fit which is worth a look. At the moment there is no other practical option for me than the Ceika's.

Comment

I understand your apprehension on winging it with brakes, especially for your application lol It's one of those rabbit hole issues too - new brakes, new pads, new rotors and by the way new wheels and new tyres and a new master cylinder then longer wheel studs and...and...and now you're down $6k lol
                        http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Why do you need 6 and 4 piston brakes?

There are plenty of upgrades out there. Issues are mainly going to be found in the rear of the car with the STA. There are not many options outside fabrication to adapt. At that point you can really adapt anything you want.

Fronts, with slip on hubs any aftermarket setup for s-chasses, z33, z32 can be adapted pretty easily.
                          86na - BlueZ
                          Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
                          85t - Mr Tickles

Comment

The brakes are for a dedicated V8 race car, I have explained in previous posts the reasons. But one experience sticks with me, doing a circuit practice day a few years ago and I'm braking hard for a corner when a Porsche flies past me and brakes further down the track. Porsches don't corner that well but they are almost impossible to pass under brakes into a corner and are able to get power down out, that is how they beat you.

Comment

Have been in contact with Ceika, as mine is a Dec '87 build turbo I want to be sure that their Z31 specs are applicable to mine eg that the caliper mounts front and back are all the same. They readily admitted that they were not aware of all the Z31 variations which is a good sign as far as I'm concerned.

Is anyone aware of any differences that would be crucial? Rotors are all spaced the same?

Comment

Working...
                              X