No announcement yet.

2016 Big Brake Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using more pistons is not the end all for more braking performance. The right pad compound is the most critical aspect, then rotor size/thickness (mass). If you are running 13" rotors it would be beneficial to use 2-piece rotors for the weight savings and better options for directional vaned rotors which will greatly enhance brake cooling and durability.
    I am currently refurbishing some vintage AP Racing/Stillen 4-piston 13" 2-piece Z32 front BBK for use on my 86T.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

Originally posted by NissanEgg View Post
      I am currently refurbishing some vintage AP Racing/Stillen 4-piston 13" 2-piece Z32 front BBK for use on my 86T.
      I look forward to seeing the progress on this project. Keep us updated.
      '86 300ZXT GLL
      '78 Datsun 280Z BP
      '11 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD

Comment

I will update when I get the calipers back from the powder coated guy. Had to buy rebuild kit from AP Racing, and new rotor rings and hardware, and brake pads from Stillen.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
        1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
        2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

An update, have been in touch with Ceika and after some sorting out they now know what's required for my '87 turbo. If nothing changes I'll be ordering a set to suit 18" wheels, the car is a long term project so there is no hurry for brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by 260DET View Post
            the car is a long term project so there is no hurry for brakes.
            If you're going with Ceika, then that's a good thing. They're nice and all, but delays can get looong. Like months long.

Comment

Long delays? They say a few weeks although I've heard that sometimes parts have to be replaced to get a good fit.

Comment

Didn't consider the wilwood option?
                http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

The Arizona Z kit? Best of the rest but for circuit racing bigger is better.

Comment

The rear hubs are different from early models to late models - the difference in solid rotors vs vented rotors. 87 turbo should hopefully already have the vented rotor setup which will be greatly on your way.

The rear STA of the car is going to be the biggest battle since there are not many (or if at all) options outside of z32 rear caliper in which there is a loss of parking brake. Some people have switched to the m30 rear brake setup with the integrated drum type parking brake. Either way, the rear will require custom brackets for caliper and rotor upgrades to be welded.

The fronts are readily out there with caliper adapters and pretty well documented

Back to your Porsche comment, a 2-way limited slip could greatly help you with braking in corners without going with huge brake setup. The deceleration with a 2-way will prevent less weight transfer to the front giving you a better balance of braking and deceleration.

Overall I would concentrate more so on 2pc rotors to reduce as much weight as possible. Not sure about AU but Wilwood is a very good option in the US due to it vast catalog and options.
                    86na - BlueZ
                    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
                    85t - Mr Tickles

Comment

Originally posted by 260DET View Post
                      The Arizona Z kit? Best of the rest but for circuit racing bigger is better.
                      Very interested to see this when you have them! Pictures please!

Originally posted by adamvann3 View Post
                      Overall I would concentrate more so on 2pc rotors to reduce as much weight as possible. Not sure about AU but Wilwood is a very good option in the US due to it vast catalog and options.
                      We basically would get them from Arizona Z just like ya'll! lol I cant even order factory parts without the dealer having to dust off the old parts fiche as their "updated" systems only back to 1992.

Comment

Originally posted by 300zxt View Post

We basically would get them from Arizona Z just like ya'll! lol I cant even order factory parts without the dealer having to dust off the old parts fiche as their "updated" systems only back to 1992.
                        I only know of 1 person ever ordering Arizona Z for a z31. While it is a nice product there are better alternatives that are more cost effective. As far as I know AZ does not offer a rear upgrade

86na - BlueZ
                        Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
                        85t - Mr Tickles

Comment

I'm not considering it basically because I've grown quite attached to my 16" Watanabes and I already have the Z32 calipers that I've measured to fit with some spacers and longer studs.

Comment

IMHO, the best "BBK" upgrades you can do for the Z31 are any of the Sumitomo brakes found on the Z32 and the R32/33/34 Skylines. The Sumitomos came in 3 sizes; 280mm, 296mm, and 310mm. All rear brakes are the same.

I'm currently running Z32 calipers on all 4 wheels, but I am about to swap my fronts to use the 310mm caliper/rotors from the R34 GT-T Skyline. These are the largest Sumitomo/Nissan brakes you can find before you get to the Brembos and Akebonos that Nissan switched to. The benefit of the Sumitomo family of brakes is that they are half the cost of the other brake systems, and they basically bolt right on.
                            1988 300ZX Turbo Shiro Special

Comment

Have decided to either get a custom set from Cheika or else use a S14 kit on the front ('87 turbo) and something bigger than the Z32 option on the back. Up to 330 mm / 13" diameter with a hand brake but can't find anything.
                              Last edited by 260DET; 07-17-2017, 05:38 PM. Reason: Size changed from 300 to 330 mm.

Comment

Hard to find these parts, but according to Pavel the Euro market Zenki turbos had larger rotors in the rear. Don't know how it was on cars sold in Australia.
                                Originally posted by midian
                                zenki eudm turbo have front 300x22 and rear 304x20
                                all rear vented calipers are same, excluding zenki eudm turbos, only brackets are different.
                                eudm zenki turbo - both calipers and brackets are unique.

Comment

Working...
                                X