Pictures of some coilover setups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of some coilover setups.

I compiled a few people's pictures of coilover setups. If you have one to share please let me know!

http://www.redz31.net/pages/coilover.setups.html

Enjoy

just wondering but what would you say is the best spring rate for the Z31 when getting a coilover set-up? 8/6 or ??? i know with tanabe you can ask them to do a custom spring set up for an extra $$$
    Stocker 87 na z31 and a slightly modded 90 240sx

Comment

WhiteZ31 wrote: just wondering but what would you say is the best spring rate for the Z31 when getting a coilover set-up? 8/6 or ??? i know with tanabe you can ask them to do a custom spring set up for an extra $$$
      Spring rates would depend on the application. Even beyond that, few have done any meaningful testing as far as spring rates go.
      Just in case you're wondering, I'm Pylon_Boy

I'm moving out of the country. Buy my tools, cars, car parts, ect.
      http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZpylon_boyQQhtZ-1

Comment

I would probably go 6/6 for a street car and see how it works. Probably around 10/10 for a track only car. My rear is MUCH too soft for my liking compared to the front, but the car is still pretty neutral regardless.

BTW, despite how easy it is... I think KG/MM is a totally bunk measurement.

Comment

to be queit honest i dont really understand the standard measurements of springs--- i dont know what the rating is 400 lbs/in? or???
          i was thinking of doing 8/6 because it's readily available (any s13 coils) and because the car is going to be an eternal project which will hopefully recieve a vg33 or a vq motor not sure yet but i want to keep it "smog legal" and have parts in america, which i wont have to pay an arm and a leg for... beside the point. thanks in advance
          Stocker 87 na z31 and a slightly modded 90 240sx

Comment

WhiteZ31 wrote: to be queit honest i dont really understand the standard measurements of springs--- i dont know what the rating is 400 lbs/in? or???
            i was thinking of doing 8/6 because it's readily available (any s13 coils) and because the car is going to be an eternal project which will hopefully recieve a vg33 or a vq motor not sure yet but i want to keep it "smog legal" and have parts in america, which i wont have to pay an arm and a leg for... beside the point. thanks in advance
            kg/mm or lb/in are measures of how much force it takes to compress a spring a certain distance.

i.e. and 8 kg/mm spring requires 8kg of force pushing on the spring to compress it 1mm, or a 400 lb/in spring needs 400 lbs of force to compress one inch

spring rates for cars vary on a lot of factors, such as overall weight, weight distrabution, drive type, chassis design, etc.

Comment

Andrevas wrote: spring rates for cars vary on a lot of factors, such as overall weight, weight distrabution, drive type, chassis design, etc.
              yes often you can't even compare spring rates between two equivalent weight cars, the suspension design can dictate how much leverage is acting on the spring

good example is your front suspension pushes directly on the spring, it's 1:1, and all the unsprung weight is right at the base of the spring... the rear trailing arm design has more heft to it and therefore more pivoting mass, but the spring is above the hub and shocks are outboard of the hub, so the spring pushes back pretty close to the point of contact, and the shock gets some extra damping leverage

if you compare this to a coilover like jason's, his rears have more leverage over the trailing arm being the farthest from the pivot point, so his springs could be weaker and produce equal force on the suspension

wishbone and semi-am arm designs all have their own behaviour, in some cases the various links start to bind up as they move and try to push the hub back to neutral/center along with the spring making them progressive, even though they aren't

Comment

G-E wrote: yes often you can't even compare spring rates between two equivalent weight cars, the suspension design can dictate how much leverage is acting on the spring

You described it very well there. I should note though that this is usually called the "motion ratio" of the suspension arm.

Another example is a Ford rustang front suspension. Because the spring sits inboard on the arm, it's effective rate at the wheel is reduced due to leverage. Something like an 400lb/in spring is considered super soft
                on that application.

Comment

Coilover Pictures

I have some pictures of a recent Ground Control Install I did on my 88. Just tell me where to send or post them and I would be happy to share.

Z envy
                  1970 240Z

88 Shiro Special (SS)
                  185 RWHP
                  205 RWTQ

88NA2Turbo w/
                  311 RWHP
                  393 RWTQ
                  If you BOOST it ........ it will run!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

camber is spelled wrong

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Pictures

Here are some pictures of my installation.

1970 240Z

88 Shiro Special (SS)
                      185 RWHP
                      205 RWTQ

88NA2Turbo w/
                      311 RWHP
                      393 RWTQ

Comment

Zenvy: very nice. Did you use Z31-spec tokico HP shocks there? I see in the back you used the stock jounce pad plate on a stock rear shock?

Comment

Coilovers

Thanks Jason..........
                          I am running KYB inserts up front and Tokico HP shocks in the rear. Ground Control sent me all the items to make the rear shock a mounting point for the collar/nut/spring. It is very simple in it's design and installation.

As I am sure you are aware the HP's have a flat washer area weleded to the shock body on the top to act as a seat for the jounce bumper. You simply put the shock on a bench grinder ....... grind the washer down so the threaded collar will slide down over the body.

the collar is not like the fronts.........it has a top with a hole through the middle......... again the collar slides down the shock..... there is a rubber spacer to fill in the space between the collar and the shock body. Ground control machined a top seat to fit the upper mount and your done.

Once installed it is very simple to adjust and the only thing you have to watch for is that everything is aligned as you lower the car back down. Once the car is on the ground it is good to go.
                          1970 240Z

88 Shiro Special (SS)
                          185 RWHP
                          205 RWTQ

88NA2Turbo w/
                          311 RWHP
                          393 RWTQ

Comment

Re: Coilovers

Z Envy wrote: As I am sure you are aware the HP's have a flat washer area weleded to the shock body on the top to act as a seat for the jounce bumper. You simply put the shock on a bench grinder ....... grind the washer down so the threaded collar will slide down over the body.
                            That's exactly what I was planning before I found the deal on the s13 coilovers. I only really wondered about how strong the jounce pad was on the tokicos. Now I'm thinking I should re-examine that option as yours looks like its working great and I would like to get more rear damping... do you have part numbers/PO for the parts they sent you, or the name of whomever helped you at ground-control? Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Part Numbers

I don't have any part numbers but I am positive that everything they sent me is a stocked item for them. The guy I talked with is named Jay. He told me that this was a common setup for the ITS racers but he had lost his notes. That's why I sent him the entire assembly, to re-measure and come up with a new kit for these cars. I told him to keep the notes as I was sure others may want to go this route. It's really hard to beat for the money........ $219.00 for the rear only & it is compatable with any rear shock with the described grinding.

My setup is good for track use but pretty harsh on the streets I would recommend the following if you order

Front - Standard Kit ( Welding Required ) $199.00

Threaded Collar / Nut / Top Hat ( mine didn't come with one so I made one out of plate steel)

6" Long Springs for any rating 500lbs or over
                              7" Long Springs for any rating under 500lbs
                              Recommended rate for dual purpose cars 400-500lbs

Rear - Customized Kit for Our Cars $219.00

Threaded Collar / Collar Spacers / Nut / Machined Spring Hat

7" Long Springs for any rating 500lbs or over
                              8" Long Springs for any rating under 500lbs
                              Recommended rate for dual purpose cars 350-450lbs

Any rate 350lbs or over will virtually eliminate the squating problem. I had Dans TSS rears on the car before this install and the rear felt much better but wasn't balanced with the fronts ( still had Tokicos up front ). Decided I needed to be able to tune and that can only be done with coilovers.

The car is completely different and handles very well now.
                              1970 240Z

88 Shiro Special (SS)
                              185 RWHP
                              205 RWTQ

88NA2Turbo w/
                              311 RWHP
                              393 RWTQ

Comment

Working...
                              X