G-E's crazy suspension thread redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-E's crazy suspension thread redux

just as I started getting interest and replies the site was hacked so lets discuss these things again shall we? for whatever reason the z31.com post didn't get anywhere....

part 1: lowering with equal suspension travel

for this to work requires short body struts to stick into the tubes and either custom gland nuts or spacer rings to install below the gland nuts

part 2: converting the strut tower to a coilover without welding

almost any rear coilover will have the standard ball mount at the bottom, such as the 240sx, this mod would depend on finding one that fits into the strut tube and has little gap around it, and has an adjustment thread area made from steel or steel alloy.... a threaded "cap" would have to be machined to hold the coilover in the strut tube tight, pulling against the "pin" at the bottom

part 3: converting to a partial a-arm or wishbone design

the benefits of this would be adjustability to a more extreme caster/camber range of motion, but the tension rod is still required to locate the lower control arm unless the pivot can be made rigid somehow

addendum: the pivot angle relative to the car centerline of the upper a-arm would actually be better tilting down for rim/tire clearance, but then the motion would move the top of the wheel outward as it moves up causing more positive camber, but if it were only slightly below level at ride height then it could add caster initially until the tension rod is able to start arcing forward during compression

interesting ideas.

i remember in the oil field we had an electic thread cutter. it was portable and could thread pipe up to 3". that would be much easier then trying to stick the strut tube in a lathe.

the front of the car seems easy for adjustable camber.

i wish someone would make an easy to install kit for the rear.

Comment

and industrial plumbing/sprinkler guys use the freestanding tripod threaders that can thread almost any diameter since the cutting head can float

*edit* pipe threader like this:

Comment

Like in last thread before is was gone..

My ideas:

Custom strut's:

G35 / 350Z front coilover

S14 front coilover
        Jukka Kivinen - Europe / Finland - '88 Turbo 2+2 Targa
        Datsun Nissan Sports Cars of Finland
        http://www.z31turbo.com / http://www.z31na.com

Comment

I think kennedy's idea for the S14 front coilovers is the most feasible. I had been thinking of how to do the coilover thing without welding them on, and it was basicly the same as Kennedy's idea.
          I have a spare set of complete strut tubes lying around, might try this after I get a few other projects done.
          Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
          1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
          2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

FreeLanceBum wrote: I think kennedy's idea for the S14 front coilovers is the most feasible. I had been thinking of how to do the coilover thing without welding them on, and it was basicly the same as Kennedy's idea.
            I have a spare set of complete strut tubes lying around, might try this after I get a few other projects done.
            still requires something welded... the only benefit over welding/crimping to the tube itself is this way it can be replaced

and the upper pic won't work, you'd have 2 points of flex, your hub would fall in on itself giving you like -30 degrees camber and the tire would rub

Comment

still requires something welded
              I was referrring to the welding of the coilover to the tube.
              I'd be perfectly fine welding up the tube, and some fabrication to make it work.
              I would be much happier if I could replace them without a saw, if need be.
              Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
              1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
              2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

the top pick would work if it was in the strut tube

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

kei office s13 coils.... notice the body fully threaded and the mounting adapter can therefore be rotated right off the end.... perhaps this is exactly the way to do this coilover-into-strut...

Comment

What is the ID of a turbo strut tube?I asked this here but never got the reply i took measurements of a s13 tien coilover set.
                    http://www.redz31.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ight=#1356
                    1986 Current build
                    HX35/40 60mm wheel,480cc injectors,nistune, spearco 2-221,6 puck,walbro fp,solid cross and diff,jason motor mounts,poly everywhere else.

Comment

unthreaded 49, if you include thread depth 51

I just happen to have some koni gland nuts kicking around

*edit* it's probably 1-15/16" ID

Comment

Working...
                      X