Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what are you guys doing to combat wheel hop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what are you guys doing to combat wheel hop?

I'm having serious issues with my car and wheel hop at the track. I NEVER have this issue on the street. I'm assuming the track being prepped and the extra VHT makes my wimpy yoko's grab. I'm running SS Springs, Tokico HP's, and Poly bushings in the rear. I know the Z32 guys usually have this problem until they put some subframe spacers in. What else can I do to prevent this?
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

stiffer shocks.

Comment

Airbags?
      It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

remove the rear swaybar or the endlink on one side so it won't try to suck the car down as one wheel loses traction

or you can make up some solid rods to replace the shocks and swap them in only when dragging

Comment

G-E wrote: remove the rear swaybar or the endlink on one side so it won't try to suck the car down as one wheel loses traction

or you can make up some solid rods to replace the shocks and swap them in only when dragging
          Yeah, I had my swaybar disconnected for a while and it seemed to help distribute the traction better.
          545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

For sure remove/disconnect the rear swaybar at the strip. My car has no issues on the street either; I only tended to get wheelhop when I got clutch chatter... I think it was mostly a product of the heavy driveline oscillation.

Comment

Has everyone forgotten already that this was addressed, dealt with....and conquered?
              *The swaybar tip is a recent addition to what was found.
              ^^The main reasoning for the TSS solid crossmember mounts and TSS solid differential mounts was for planting the rear drivetrain(controlling wheel hop). The issue with transmitted drivetrain noise to the chassis was a negative that was found with these special mounts, making the parts more desired for a track/strip only car...or for someone who runs the streets with cares only about the performance aspect of the car.(non-daily driver types)
              It was later discovered with the release of the Prothane Poly Crossmember mounts and combining them with the TSS solid differential mount, that the "noise" or negative factor, was reduced by atleast 75%. This means, for those that use thier cars mostly on the street and want more comfort....the poly/solid combo is the answer to combatting wheel hop.
              **Springs, and shocks are the "other" half of the equation when understanding wheel hop, as is the rear camber/toe-in.
              ~Positively locating the rear crossmember and diff. forces the power to react with the suspension, not the associated components. Flexing oem mounts, even brand new, (rear x-member/diff) have enough give to produce the unwanted wheel hop.
              8)
              Dan
              I am here to help...

Comment

for what it's worth...my experience.

-88na with poly bushings and TSS x-member/diff mounts
                -Tokico springs and HP shocks all around.
                -poly motor and trans mount
                -exedy racing clutch (stage 1 I think)
                --Car is underpowered but there is very little slop in the driveline.

on dry pavement wheel hop is almost non existant. It may happen briefly on a very hard straight line launch with excessive wheel spin.

In the rain wheel hop is a big problem. I'll get the rear to break loose from a stop trying to sway the rear end back and forth. With the rear tires spinning while going straight the car shakes really bad but once I'm sideways it disappears.

Sounds like stiffer springs/shocks and swaybars are needed.

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Comment

I saw a significant decrease in wheel hop after buying the Specialty Shops rear springs. I will still suffer from it but it is not as extreme and does not last as long.
                  1988 300zx Turbo, Shiro Edition #21

Comment

obviously the stiffer the back the less hop....

that is why I suggested doing away with springs and just run bars for the shocks.... can't get much more solid

Comment

G-E wrote: obviously the stiffer the back the less hop....

that is why I suggested doing away with springs and just run bars for the shocks.... can't get much more solid
                      That's a joke, right?

Comment

whats the problem? I wasn't suggesting using it on the street like that heh

reducing the rear tire pressures a touch to offset the tendency to skitter should be all thats needed

btw I do realize compression is good for absorbing the energy for launching... just saying

Comment

Benedict wrote:

Sounds like stiffer springs/shocks and swaybars are needed.
                          I have considerably stiffer springs in the rear than you do, but I think its a moot point because obviously my car is making MUCH more power than yours therefore my tendency for weight transfer on a hard launch will be much higher.

I have NEVER had ANY wheel hop associated with any type of street surface. It was my first time to even experience it when I was at the track. The surface plays a VERY large role in determining the outcome of the launch. (duh!)
                          545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

I'm running SS Springs, Tokico HP's,

*what was the train of thought when matching that spring rate to the dampening rate of the Hp's(not enough for the application)?
                            I am here to help...

Comment

Dan-TSS wrote: I'm running SS Springs, Tokico HP's,

*what was the train of thought when matching that spring rate to the dampening rate of the Hp's(not enough for the application)?
                              Honestly, they were what I could afford at the time. AND, they were installed before I installed the SS Springs.
                              545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Working...
                              X