2+2 Chassis Set-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2+2 Chassis Set-Up

i was wondering out there if anyone knew what the best set-up is for the '84-'86 2+2 chassis?? or if there is any difference besides wheel base when it comes to the 2+2's VS. the Coupes...
    1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
    Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

2+2 came with different rear springs

what are you asking exactly?

Comment

well i really want to focus the car's abilities on auto-x and back road passes, so of course i need something stiff and nice tires. but again, i'm not sure what's the best set-up as the 2+2's are slightly different than the Coupes
      1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
      Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

Comment

the weight distribution difference is like 1% and the overall weight is about 150lbs more

if you want to auto-x, you're gonna need many changes, the first being stiff springs (like tss sells) and big swaybars (like msa sells) .... if you're smooth you won't need fancy shocks, but it's a good idea to upgrade to match the springs

and replacing anything rotten like rubber bushings, and giving your front tires some negative camber somehow

the rest is you learning to drive

Comment

Driving skills y0

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

The setup should be the same, the setup differences will be nil unless you're talking about a full-blown race car. It will be more stable at speed either way...

Comment

cool, i'm not real educated in the field of chassis work and beyond. so i'm looking for some help and guidence in what set-up works best with the Z.
              1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

don't fall into the trap of having to have better product to improve your bad driving

like I often repeat, I drive a k-car with soft springs (sagging in the ass) and blown shocks all around.... and I can handle most every driver on the road with it

Comment

like I often repeat, I drive a k-car with soft springs (sagging in the ass) and blown shocks all around.... and I can handle most every driver on the road with it
                  you were one of those kids with the mom that rubbed your ass with baby oil and told you it was special, weren't you? i don't think you realize the purpose of my statement, i was getting at the fact that having a good set-up alows you to push your car to farther extremes. stock systems will only go so far, and the K Car bullshit is rediculous.
                  1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

no it's not, I drive the piece of crap to it's limit

I wonder if you are actually at the limit of your car? and if you are, how much of that is due to the driving style and how much is the car?

my point is that my car doesn't ride on rails, the suspension bangs and clunks, the tires scream, and yet because I've learned how to be very smooth I don't upset the car, the spring rates suck and swaybars non-existent, but I don't suffer from huge body roll, I use it to my advantage

learning how to balance weight transitions is the single most important aspect to driving a car agressively, and it is better to learn on a soft wallowy car so that you can take advantage of a better car when you can

Comment

i agree about learning the weight distribution of your car, and i've had plenty of practice with that. but it doesn't stop with the suspension, as you should know. it has a lot to do with shifts, gas pedal use, brake use, etc. but i know and have people who can agree that i've pushed my car to it's limits with the stock suspension that using stiffer set-ups would be the wiser.
                      1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

I autocrossed my 84 2+2 for several years. The first year it was bone stock with 10yr old goodyear eagles. Body roll, massive understeer, tire squeel the works, but I had a blast.
                        I started improvements with a set of used panasport race wheels and some race rubber that a friend said would take 10 seconds off my times. In fact it took off 8 seconds and I suddenly became competitive in G stock. From there I replaced the original springs and shocks with Eibach progressive rate springs and Tokico blues, a swaybar off a 88 turbo along with its LSD and the car became faster. Now I was winning G stock locally. A few tweaks to the engine and I am no longer in G stock and not competitive in ESP.
                        The car is way to heavy and underpowered to be competitive in G stock or ESP and the Turbo is just as bad because it gets kicked up to BSP.
                        I told my wife (it is her car) that it had to go on a diet. With 85K on it and in mint condition that wasn't going to happen. So It has been retired to the street where it rides and handels like a dream.
                        I went out and bought the lighest Z made, an 84 slicktop coupe. Put it on a diet, installed ground control coilovers (500 lb front and 70lb rear springs) with koni adjustable shocks, MSA front sway bar, made the rear camber adjustable, added new Kumo's to the panasports, and tuned the engine using NisTune.
                        Now it handles like a slot car and is a threat in ESP.
                        As G-E said you have to be smooth or it still understeers. I benefited from those early years in the 2+2.
                        ...and how much HP do you have at 0 boost

Comment

anyone in here tried BFGoodrich Radial T/A's??
                          1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

Morgenstern wrote: anyone in here tried BFGoodrich Radial T/A's??
                            recommendations on tires are like a-holes... everyone has an opinion on what they have used but most don't have enough experience with different brands or makes to really give a reasonable and subjective opinion on the matter as it relates to the Z31.

All I will say is that I notices a BIG difference when I installed V rated tires on my 2+2. Like I said BIG difference.

Beyond the obvious I may suggest that you get a bit creative on stiffening you chaise. I actually did this out of ignorance but it worked great on my 2+2. (this will probably work the same on a 2 seater)

There is a heat shield above the rear trans and drive shaft. On my last Z it wasn't there so I figured that there were supposed to be more than one of the cross-members running across there since I saw open bolt holes. So I got some aluminum angle (1/2") and set out to install 3 "replacement" cross-members. Well, little did I know at the time, but the Z31 only has 1 of these cross-member type braces and it is back towards the differential. :shock:

Adding more rigidity to the frame of a Z31 cant hurt if you are looking for better handling. I did play around with the idea and removed the added braces. I did notice a difference in how the car handled in hard cornering. I reinstalled the braces very quickly after that. The difference was very noticeable to me.

On the next car I will be enhancing the accidental idea I came up with before. 8)
                            Just stand back and throw money.
                            Performance costs money.
                            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

what "added braces" do you speak of?
                              1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X