Roll Cages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll Cages

Alright. So my SS is completely stripped and going to the media blasters to get the crushed walnut shell treatment. Then after getting primered really quick to prevent rust its back to me.

Im going to be putting a roll cage in the SS. Im going to go with a 10 point cage as the car will be at the track more then its ever on the street. Has anyone used one of the cage kits from S&W race cars? Any opinions?
    http://www.swracecars.com/index.asp
    Search for 300ZX.

Also if you were putting a cage in your car, would you use DOM, Chromoly or EWS? I was thinking chromoly because of it being lighter, however if I remember right chromoly is hard to weld properly. Any preference as to type of tubing and any reason why?
    ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

dom is not a metal, it is a seamless extrusion method

normal tubing is bent into a circle from flat sheets and seam welded, dom has no welds and is therefore stronger

cromoly would be the best choice, read the sanctioning rules for whatever body you plan to race under and follow their guidelines

Comment

Yeah, cro-mo fa sho

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

use dom or chromo.

dom is strong use .120 wall tubing.

chromo is stronger and lighter

make sure to pad it. your head will thank you. i hit my head a few times on my roll-cage in my toyota truck. man did it hurt. my son was laughing so hard. it was the funniest thing he had seen. :lol:

Comment

84z31 wrote: make sure to pad it. your head will thank you. i hit my head a few times on my roll-cage in my toyota truck. man did it hurt. my son was laughing so hard. it was the funniest thing he had seen. :lol:
          Be sure to pad it everywhere. Padding is arguably the most important part of having a cage in a street-driven car. It makes it more bulky, but is an absolute must unless you plan on wearing a helmet every time you drive the car.

Comment

I have the S&W 6 point stashed away for when I get around to working on the wifes AE.
            *I know there's a few that have used thier kits and they fit relatively tight...You are prepared for some small interioir modification..correct?
            EDITED>>If you are trying to find more info. on this exact car pictured, it is owned by "Johnzboy", a member of z31.com(whom needs inviting to the z31performance.com website..hint)
            Dan 8)

I am here to help...

Comment

dan

did you put plate under those tubes where they are welded into the body, so the load can be spread out if in a roll? its hard to see in the pictures.

other wise the welds will tear the sheet metal and the bars will go through the floor. basically making it a death trap and completely worthless.

Comment

thats something i'd like to do. it looks really nice and would stiffen up the chassis a lot. that cage is relatively cheap and looks great. i'd spring for the 8-point for my tastes.

Comment

Yes, The S&W kits do have a level of professionalism to them. They com with a stack of 4"x4" plates for just that reason.
                  The car pictured is not mine, I snagged the photos for reference.
                  The kit installed however, is indeed the S&W kit. It is shown as partially installed, not completed yet.
                  I am here to help...

Comment

cool.

i just hate seeing some peoples ideas of cages.

i saw one at a car show that had so much porosity in the welds he should have just used glue to keep it all together.

Comment

The s&w cage doesn't appear to have a true diagonal in the main hoop as required by the scca. Anybody know if the dom cage would pass scca's requirements? It is triangulated in the bottom half but not the top. I've been shopping for steel to do a custom cage but with current prices this kit saves money and time.
                      Building Slicktop turbo racer out of Chassis #8. After 6 months all the rust is gone

Comment

CAll S&W..1-800-523-353.
                        Talk to Stokes.
                        They can and will adapt to your needs.
                        8)
                        Dan
                        I am here to help...

Comment

the pictures Dan posted are of JohnZboy's 86na2T and he went with the roll bar option.

here are some pictures Satan posted a while back showing his instal of the full S&W cage. These pictures give a better idea about how close the fit is.

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Comment

Holy crap what a mess :shock: It looks much better now.

85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Satan, Is there anyway you can post some more of your interior. How much fo the interior paneling were you able to retain?

Did the kit come completely pre-bent and pre-notched. Besides welding what other work was involved in putting it in.
                              ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

Working...
                              X