Visible difference from rear poly bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visible difference from rear poly bushings

In the rear of my car I have one control arm with stock rubber bushings and one with poly bushings. I was really bored driving for a couple hours last weekend so I angled my side mirrors down to look at the wheels and just see how much the rear control arm bushings comply when you get some load on them. I tossed the car lightly side to side and watched the result through the mirrors.

If you think about it, when you take a corner in either direction, STA rear suspension will always tend to toe out the outside rear tire from bushing compliance. This is part of the reason poly bushings are so beneficial back there... toe out on the outside wheel will greatly contribute to the on-off power oversteer that Z31's are notorious for.

I could visibly see the difference. The wheel on the control arm with rubber bushings would move almost double that of the one with poly bushings. I had a ruler with me, and some duct tape. I decided to pull off at the next rest stop and tape it onto the splach guard and roughly estimate the amount of compliance and toe change by sight. Just a rough estimate, but the poly bushing arm was moving about 3-5mm and the rubber bushing arm was moving about 8-10mm.

Just interesting to note...

Cool info. Now you need a passenger and a video camera. That would be really cool to see.
    Chuck Stong
    300+ Parts and Performance owner
    http://www.300-plus.com
    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

How is the poly diff mount going?
      Attached Files
      Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
      I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
      Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

Hmmmm, video camera... Good idea.

Lance wrote: How is the poly diff mount going?
        Quite good. You can pre-order them at z31parts.com but be aware they are just a pre-order so you wont get it right away!

Comment

Working...
        X