Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick and Dirty Adjustable Tension Rods???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick and Dirty Adjustable Tension Rods???

I am curious if anyone has fabricated their own adjustable tension rods? It appears that with the proper equipment, the tension rod could be simply cut in half. Afterwards one end could be conventionally threaded while the other could be reverse threaded. Finally, install two locking nuts and an adequate turnbuckle. Are there any flaws with my thinking? I realize that their are some JDM adjustables, but they are quite expensive. The last time I saw a pair on E-bay they were nearly $400.00 with shipping.
    2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

I'm sure you could do that, and I have actually considered having it done for a while now.

Comment

CAG8OR wrote: I am curious if anyone has fabricated their own adjustable tension rods? It appears that with the proper equipment, the tension rod could be simply cut in half. Afterwards one end could be conventionally threaded while the other could be reverse threaded. Finally, install two locking nuts and an adequate turnbuckle. Are there any flaws with my thinking? I realize that their are some JDM adjustables, but they are quite expensive. The last time I saw a pair on E-bay they were nearly $400.00 with shipping.
      I've pondered the same thing, but why do you need aftermarket tension rods to begin with? as bad as they are the 84-87 style are adjustable, you could do a lot with it if you reworked the brackets and put a heim eyelet at the end of the rod

Comment

When I test fitted my TT adjustable tension rods to my Z31 & found that they were too short one of my TT buddies suggested getting longer (control arm end) ends made for them. The guys who make the adjustable tension rods for TTs should be able to merely make new ends that bolts to the control arm longer to fit our cars. I just got lazy and used 88 tension rods/brackets & called it a day. Even though the urethane bushings I have now are plenty stiff, I would like to have solid ones.

I have a set of TT solid/adjustable tension rods on my Q45. Same suspension as the TT in almost every respect. My Q45 has TT urethane subframe bushings, Stillen solid/adjustable rear upper control arms, and Midori solid/ball bearing/adjustable front upper control arms.

Track wheels/tires were on the Q for an autocross that day. I have video of that!
        378whp 445wtq
        http://mark86t.zmobiledetailing.com/.../v/Black+Hole/

Z Mobile Detailing, Las Vegas, NV

Comment

I had bought a pair of the adjustable units for the TT from Courtesy Nissan in Texas. They told me before ordering that they would fit, but that was not the case. As mentioned previously they were too short. I have the urethane bushings from Courtesy as well, but would still like the ability of some adjustment. I am going to SEMA in a couple weeks. I will see if I can find a good source for turn buckles and heim joints (spherical bearings). I don't advocate the use of heim joints, unless you are young. I installed them nearly everywhere on my RX-7 along with urethane and coil overs. The car sits in the garage now, I can't stand to drive it. If you hit a center line reflector it nearly knocks your teeth out. I will have to sell it to a teenager or rip all that crap out.
          2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

Comment

http://www.qa1.net

^^^^^^^^ everything you need

Comment

Working...
            X