No announcement yet.

Door Lock Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valet works on all but the glovebox. Not sure about the T-top locks though.
    I recently called my local dealer to verify they can still cut keys using the code and they said they could.
    I bought some uncut Nissan blanks from Ebay. My 84T has the glovebox sticker, but the other 3 don't.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Z_Karma View Post
      It should be a X plus 4 digits for a main lock key (X _ _ _ _ ) or a Y plus 4 digits for a valet key (Y _ _ _ _ ). The numbers do match from the main lock key to valet key.
      I have a lock set (PN 99810-04P28) NIB here for my AE and none of the cylinders or ignition have any markings that correspond to the codes on the keys.

It's possible that if your's was replaced sometime in the past, somebody had the foresight to mark them with the code, but i wouldn't bet on it.

I only saw four digits, no X or Y.

Originally posted by mtherkamp View Post
      Where are you guys going to get keys re-cut, nissan dealer? I think I have the sticker, does the valet key not work on the hatch? If so then I think I only have that one and not the main key.
      The valet key does NOT work with the hatch, nor lock the glove box or the t-tops in my experience. Only the ignition and both doors. I was going to see if the dealership or a local locksmith was cheaper.
      1989 300ZX NA

Comment

So, I haven't had time to remove the door lock cylinder and the weather in my area hasn't exactly been cooperative either so I'm debating an alternative.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a solvent to clear up the gunk that's built up in the lock cylinder? I can't be sure a previous owner hasn't tried to lubricate the lock themselves so ideally it would be something that would work for any type of lubricant, be it the original lube or something that was added aftermarket.
        1989 300ZX NA

Comment

You can try to flush it out with lubricant/solvents like WD-40 or PB-Blaster using the straw inserted into the keyhole,
          then maybe a can of compressed air (if you don't have access to a compressor) to blow/flush out the solvent, followed by a white lithium grease.

Aerosol white lithium grease goes in like a normal wd-40, but then the liquid evaporates off leaving the grease in the places the liquid penetrated.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

That was the new plan, I just hadn't figured out what solvent to use. Thanks again for the advice!
            1989 300ZX NA

Comment

Working...
            X