Name That Part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name That Part

Does anyone know what the name of this part is? It's a perforated metal bar that runs across the undercarriage. It is located before the sub-frame and behind the catalytic converter. I don't have an actual photo of it, so I got one from a very detailed plastic car.

Z31_07.jpg

I think it's called the inner rear cross member or member-cross, rear inner in Nissan lingo. Just wanted to confirm.

Comment

That is a nice model. What kind/brand is it?

Comment

looks like it might be the 1/25 scale Tamiya kit. these Z31 and S130 model cars are getting harder to find. i managed to get two of 'em a few years ago

Bon

Comment

Originally posted by jdmlegends View Post
          I think it's called the inner rear cross member or member-cross, rear inner in Nissan lingo. Just wanted to confirm.
          i don't remember seeing one on my car, but you can check nissanpartsdeal.com; they have some pretty good parts diagram. maybe it will show that one.

Bon

Comment

found it... Member-cross, rear inner; 74882

MEMBER-CROSS,REAR INNER
            Part Number: 7586101P00

Capture.PNG

MSRP is 83.65--- not bad....Oh. And it looks to be still available from Nissan.
            --------------
            Legal stuff:
            **Nissan Employee**
            Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
            '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
            '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
            '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
            '00 Corolla-- kids car.
            '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

• Reds89
              Reds89 commented
              Editing a comment
              That part is no longer available new.

• Dunkine
              Dunkine commented
              Editing a comment
              And probably a ton of them used in decent shape.

I am not sure what model the scale plastic car is. This is the most detailed one I've seen to date.

Recently, I've discovered many parts I thought were discontinued are still available from Nissan or are available in limited quantities. Of course, this has depended on which wholesale parts website I visit and which local dealer as well. Perhaps different dealers have access to different regional surplus depots. For example, on the East Coast it seems like the parts might come from a warehouse in Tennessee. When I was in Ventura, CA, the parts might have come from the Carson City area.

Anything under 100 bucks is good too.

Comment

• Reds89
              Reds89 commented
              Editing a comment
              Although quite a few parts are still available from Nissan, a lot of the dealer parts sites are setup to show an MSRP on every part, but not the availability of the part. If the part is still in a Nissan part warehouse, any dealer can order it no matter what location it's in. Courtesy Nissan (courtesyparts.com), while I don't like their new website, seems to be pretty consistent about showing if a part is available or discontinued. Typing 7586101P00 on their website gets the dreaded discontinued result.

• mwolvinm
              mwolvinm commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting... I was on the internal employee site which showed I could put it in my cart... legal crap: I work there, but opinions are my own.

Just picked up a couple of these model kits from Japan a couple weeks back. My inner crossmember that basically does nothing than holds up the exhaust and if your driveshaft ever goes,keeps it from hitting the ground, is going to be rebuilt by my father in law next door. (We also need to repair the frame where it bolts to, as rust has caused it to come unattached from the frame)

Comment

Pretty sweet detailed model.

I removed the inner crossbrace from my Z31. The original was bent upward and rubbed the exhaust. I haven't noticed much of a difference without it, but I'm sure it helps to laterally support that part of the chassis to a limited extent.
              '86 300ZXT GLL
              '78 Datsun 280Z BP
              '11 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD

Comment

Back in the day AL87T (Dunbar Motorsports) was making replacements out of just a 1/4" or 3/16" aluminum bar.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Pace View Post
                  Pretty sweet detailed model.

I removed the inner crossbrace from my Z31. The original was bent upward and rubbed the exhaust. I haven't noticed much of a difference without it, but I'm sure it helps to laterally support that part of the chassis to a limited extent.
                  Back in the day, I used to think a lot of the parts on these cars weren't needed, or were unnecessary. However, over the years I've learned that each part was designed by the engineers who built the car and does serve a specific purpose. For example, a lot of people delete the clutch damper because it's in the way and makes it easier to bleed the clutch. However, it's essential when it comes to reducing vibration in the drivetrain and increasing its longevity.

Like you said, it's most likely that the inner rear cross member stabilizes the car on curves to a degree and probably reduces the twisting and turning motion on the chassis. And since it's unibody, it may prevent having to have your frame straightened in the future.

On one of my Z's, it's all bent up. Looks like someone bottomed out but the rest of the chassis appears to be good.

Comment

Working...
                  X