84-85 Turbo + NA Shift Knob Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84-85 Turbo + NA Shift Knob Differences

Someone once told me that the shift knobs were different on the 84-85 Turbo and NA. However, I think they must mean the threads on the sticks of the T-5 and 71C. In essence, you can't use an 85 Turbo shift knob on a 71C and vice versa. Can anyone confirm?

You could get the correct thread tap and tap to fit whatever one is smaller, but they do have different part numbers for the NA/Turbo manual trans shift knobs, for the same color code interior.

knob.JPG

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

I thought so. I wanted to make sure for whenever I get around converting the 84T to manual. I found a shift boot and shift knob for it, but they're from a BW T-5 turbo model, but I'd probably be looking at using a 71C or 30a. Nissan always has such uncommon, high tech parts names. I would have entered shift knob in the search box but you found Knob-Control Lever lol.
      Last edited by jdmlegends; 12-22-2018, 07:23 AM.

Comment

The different part #'s could also be because they have different shift patterns for reverse on top. The turbos step over and the N/A go straight from 5th to reverse. Shafts could be different too.

Check out http://www.300zxpartsforyou.com/ Page 23

Comment

What Dunkine said, the shift patterns are different. One is symmetric, the other has a step for the reverse.

Comment

Working...
          X