Getting Locks Out HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Locks Out HELP!!!

Car is 1989 300ZX coup normally aspirated.
    Short story: Some jerk stole my two keys. I did have the numbers in glove box. However, the second digit was a very questionable read. We tried 1 and then, 6 but neither worked. So, I was faced with pulling the driver's side lock out if I was to get a key. (At least, that is what I understand has to be done). Locksmith came to my house and loaned me her plastic tools and after heating the plugs on arm rest with light, they came out easily. I can get no further. I can see the nut/bolt on the left side (looking into the door panel) but the glass is a little in the way and, so far, I have succeeded only in having a 1/4 inch socket fall into the door, where I have not been able to find it. I THINK I can ultimately get a socket on the bolt but it is going to take a lot more swearing. Then the right side. I can feel it but have difficulty getting my hand in. I really, REALLY do not want to remove the glass. I'm not that talented in this arena and am hoping already that I can get this back together correctly. I have read (here) that the hatch key mechanism is the easiest to remove. HOWEVER, I don't believe that it has numbers on it. I have looked at it and it doesn't seem all that easy though it is certainly accessible. I have found no directions for removing it.
    I would be immensely grateful for help. By the way, I have seen references that state that the window has to be down to get the panel off. It doesn't and it actually looks as if the bolts would NOT be accessible with the window down. Good thing, since I can't operate the switches without ignition. (Yes, I could potentially put power to the switch) Anyway, that's my sad story.

None of the locks have numbers on them, if that is what you are after.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

• JGug1
      JGug1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Z_Karma, can you validate that statement? I was told by locksmith that the code numbers were stamped into the left (driver's side) lock cylinder. We did find some faint numbers, barely readable but using them did not result in a useful key.

• Z_Karma
      Z_Karma commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem, I can take some photos of a NIB lockset that i have for my AE project when i get home later tonight.
      If there are numbers, I've never noticed any on the used locksets I've pulled.

If only one of the numbers inside the glove compartment is questionable, it wouldn't hurt to bring the number to your friendly parts guy at the local Nissan dealer. They may have the expertise to decipher the number/letter in question and cut you a new key. When I bought my Hard Top, the only key the owner gave me was a spare. I ordered a new key and had it cut for 11 bucks (super cheap).
    Last edited by jdmlegends; 12-23-2018, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmlegends View Post
      If only one of the numbers inside the glove compartment is questionable, it wouldn't hurt to bring the number to your friendly parts guy at the local Nissan dealer. They may have the expertise to decipher the number/letter in question and cut you a new key. When I bought my Hard Top, the only key the owner gave me was a spare. I ordered a new key and had it cut for 11 bucks (super cheap).

What year was that? I called and the key was $25 and they told me “maybe”they could do it from the code.
      Jeff
      71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Z_Karma, can you validate that statement? I was told by locksmith that the code numbers were stamped into the left (driver's side) lock cylinder. We did find some faint numbers, barely readable but using them did not result in a useful key.
        Here is the lockset i have, I double checked and nothing stamped on any of the locks that matches the X and Y codes on the keys. Door locks are embossed with L1 and R1 only.

I also have a couple locks from an +87 and same, no stamps or markings.

Also, it doesn't make sense to me that they would be stamped, as they are cast metal. Cast metal is brittle, so stamping it after it was cast, could cause potential cracks.

lockset.jpg

https://z31performance.com/forum/mar...-turbo-hot-red

spazzymcgee is parting out an 85T, maybe he has a working lockset you could use.

Comment

Speaking of locks, in my aforementioned post I stated I had a new key cut because the only key I got from the previous owner was a spare. The new key works in ignition, driver side door, and trunk but it will not work on the passenger side door. When I insert the key into the passenger side door, it will only go into the cylinder about 1/4 of the way before stopping. There's no sign that the lock has ever been changed or tampered with. Liquid Wrench did not help.
          Last edited by jdmlegends; 01-07-2019, 06:53 PM.

Comment

The door lock cylinders can be disassembled down to the springs and pin plates. The most difficult part is accessing it.

Comment

• JGug1
              JGug1 commented
              Editing a comment
              So, it was so darn cold in Pagosa Springs, CO in my garage that it made no sense to try to go further. My locksmith did manage to cut a key after we took the lock cylinder out and she took it apart. It was no piece of cake. She had gotten to the point where the key worked in the doors but not in the ignition. She then brought her key cutting machine to my garage and using trial and error, found the last cut on the first try.
              But it has just been too cold to try to put stuff back together and it has been long enough that an exploded view of the parts as they need to go back together is needed. Any hope someone has one?

@JSM

What year was that? I called and the key was $25 and they told me “maybe”they could do it from the code.
            84. The actual cost was $9.76 plus tax. The guy probably wasn't sure because the car is so old, but it can be done. On the other hand, the key for an AE will set you back about $150.

Comment

A quick search on www.nissanpartsdeal.com/ shows key00-00066 for $6.66 or you can get the Z32 key for $14.02 and then have them cut.

Comment

Working...
            X