e30 led headlight retrofit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e30 led headlight retrofit?

Looking to convert my stock 87’ kouki headlights to this set of e30 headlights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOT-APPROVE...QAAMXQbcRQ7SPG

Fabricating and making it look good shouldn’T be too difficult although I may not be able to close my pop up headlights, which I’ve already decided is fine (unless there’s another smaller set I could use.) However I’m not sure what to do with the wiring situation whether I can solder them or if there’s a harness I can buy? Any info is appreciated

That would be something cool and unique. I will say though, you can always retrofit and get a pair of something similar to this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/300ZX-Z31-1...IAAOSwxxVb2z1b
    The Zenki headlamps are generic lamp sizes (the whole lamp gets swapped not a bulb, can find them at auto stores); there are quite a few chinese manufacturers that make plastic housings, so you can use bulbs, that you can crack open if you stick them in the oven on warm. Then you just shove projectors and halos inside them. look up the owner "edicer" he's got them installed.

Zenki headlights are the same as the 1980's jeep cherokee

Problem with koukis are that the housings are Nissan and made of glass so you're SOL in modding them to have halos inside.
    1984 GLL 300ZX NA to VG30ET Engine Swap Big Turbo
    1987 Auto Rare Kouki Slicktop Velvet-Cake (NA2T in progress: parts sourced)

Comment

I would also say, just remove the glass housing on your Z and measure the mount points to see if you can find one of those halo kits for BMW's that would fit with some drilling.
      1984 GLL 300ZX NA to VG30ET Engine Swap Big Turbo
      1987 Auto Rare Kouki Slicktop Velvet-Cake (NA2T in progress: parts sourced)

Comment

How can I power the headlights? Would it be easier to wire up a switch? I’d prefer to keep a stock wiring setup

Comment

Seems like a lot of work. I took out the old housing and replaced years ago with new ones that could just accept new bulbs and in put in PIAA lamps, made a big difference. I think the housing was made by MOOG if I am not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by jy1235689 View Post

Problem with koukis are that the housings are Nissan and made of glass so you're SOL in modding them to have halos inside.
            Nope, bake them at 200F for about 20min. The glass lenses are glued to the metal housings with seam sealer and can carefully be separated when hot/soft enough.

Clean off all the old seam sealer and reassemble with new seam sealer once your halo rings are installed. I just did this with some JDM zenki headlights that are a replaceable 9004 bulb like the kouki housings.

Last edited by Z_Karma; 08-01-2019, 04:45 PM.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

• jy1235689
              jy1235689 commented
              Editing a comment
              I learned something new
          Working...
          X